Making Grow Room Checklist

XfishboyX

420 Member
Hello, I am trying to start growing and I’m trying to start up a checklist for everything I need and where to find them, as I have found this to be very difficult. So far on my list of things to get are:

2x Vivosun 6 inch, 390 cfm inline fan

315 watt ceramic mh light for veg

VS1000 LED light for flowering

48x48x80 grow tent

Twist tie spool

3 in 1 digital ph meter

5 gallon fabric pots

I wanted root riot cubes but all I can find locally are biodegradable rooting hormone cubes

I can’t seem to find any reliable nute brands (I heard fox farms is good)
If anybody can provide links to more equipment and materials it’d be greatly appreciated!!

Hello, I am trying to start growing and I’m trying to start up a checklist for everything I need and where to find them, as I have found this to be very difficult. So far on my list of things to get are:

2x Vivosun 6 inch, 390 cfm inline fan

315 watt ceramic mh light for veg

VS1000 LED light for flowering

48x48x80 grow tent

Twist tie spool

3 in 1 digital ph meter

5 gallon fabric pots

I wanted root riot cubes but all I can find locally are biodegradable rooting hormone cubes

I can’t seem to find any reliable nute brands (I heard fox farms is good)
If anybody can provide links to more equipment and materials it’d be greatly appreciated!!
Hey there, good luck on your selection, personally I would check out some sponsors here at 420, they will discuss items with you as well member discounts perhaps.
Spark up

check out our sponsor - Geoflora organic dry mix nutes. Its an all in one product meaning NPK plus calcium & magnesium are included. Stuff is very easy to use and gives great results. You will need 2 bags since the formulas are different - one for veg cycle and another one for flower (Veg 5-3-4 and Bloom 3-5-5) You simply add Veg to the pot as you fill it with dirt and then top dress every 2 weeks and water in. Later on you after you flip lights you can simply switch to using the flower formula….

Geoflora has done a great job working with 420 members to address issues on use and they have their own thread in the sponsors section specifically for Q&A

I noticed you have both a cmh and an led light, are you planning on running 2 tents or is that a tent with 2 grow compartments?

also check out our lighting sponsors <<< link….. first they support our existence here and second there are multiple manufacturers represented, great names like ViparSpectra Spectra, Mars Hydro, Budget LED, and many offer discounts to 420 members.

get the best light you can afford for flower, beware many of the cheap Chinese versions give a model number like XX-1000 that’s not really the wattage but rather it’s their voodoo magic HPS equivalent replacement number but actual wattage draw is like 65 watts…. True wattage draw from the wall is what you want to look for

check out our sponsor - Geoflora organic dry mix nutes. Its an all in one product meaning NPK plus calcium & magnesium are included. Stuff is very easy to use and gives great results. You will need 2 bags since the formulas are different - one for veg cycle and another one for flower (Veg 5-3-4 and Bloom 3-5-5) You simply add Veg to the pot as you fill it with dirt and then top dress every 2 weeks and water in. Later on you after you flip lights you can simply switch to using the flower formula….

Geoflora has done a great job working with 420 members to address issues on use and they have their own thread in the sponsors section specifically for Q&A

I noticed you have both a cmh and an led light, are you planning on running 2 tents or is that a tent with 2 grow compartments?

also check out our lighting sponsors <<< link….. first they support our existence here and second there are multiple manufacturers represented, great names like ViparSpectra Spectra, Mars Hydro, Budget LED, and many offer discounts to 420 members.

get the best light you can afford for flower, beware many of the cheap Chinese versions give a model number like XX-1000 that’s not really the wattage but rather it’s their voodoo magic HPS equivalent replacement number but actual wattage draw is like 65 watts…. True wattage draw from the wall is what you want to look for
Thank you both for the quick replies!

GeoFlora is the way to go. Simple to use. Either Veg or Bloom. Add some CalMag to your arsenal and that is it. I had been using liquid nutes for the first few grows. Now they just sit. May try them on outdoor plants new year. I use tap water so I left the water breathe 24 hours to let the chlorine vent out of the jars of water. Guud luck in the grows ahead.

I was planning to use the 350 watt cmh light for veg and 1000 watt led for flower, I heard it’s best to use cmh lights during veg and hps lights during flower, but I also heard the 1000 watt led’s work great for flower too. I’ve been looking at mh and hps lights mainly due to the price (and heat since I’m growing in the basement) I was debating on Mars Hydro’s lights since they’re the only one I’ve heard of, tho I’ve seen mixed reviews. Thank you! I will look out for that!

GeoFlora is the way to go. Simple to use. Either Veg or Bloom. Add some CalMag to your arsenal and that is it. I had been using liquid nutes for the first few grows. Now they just sit. May try them on outdoor plants new year. I use tap water so I left the water breathe 24 hours to let the chlorine vent out of the jars of water. Guud luck in the grows ahead.
So it’s like a soil mix with the fertilizer already in it? That won’t cause nutrient burn or issues with flushing? Thank you for the reply!
Has anybody shopped off Hydrobuilder? They seem to have a good stock

Hi Helpful Henry @013 . @XfishboyX you are in good hands. Good luck with your grow, the sponsors here are plentiful and reliable and as @garybo mentioned, may be able to work with you on pricing. I myself have not purchased YET from our sponsors, including lights but intend to try Geoflora as I am a FF girl myself and Mars Hydro as I am currently using Vivosun products for light in my flower tent which btw I get EVERYTHING from Amazon. Best of luck on your grow!

So it’s like a soil mix with the fertilizer already in it? That won’t cause nutrient burn or issues with flushing? Thank you for the reply!
Has anybody shopped off Hydrobuilder? They seem to have a good stock
You are in charge of the amount of nutrient burn, if any your plant gets. They are specifically formulated and dosaging is available directly on the container. Some people start with 1/2 of the recommended dosage and see how their plants respond. Some go with what it says. Each strain, each plant is different however, so throughout the grow be sure to monitor how they are responding to the feeds. You may have to jump up a little or go down a touch. Oops flushing..that too, is in your hands. Plenty of info on this site on flushing how to and how not to. Troll and search and ask questions and you will find and receive any answers. This place rocks

Nope Geoflora is a dry mix granular nute product, you mix it in by measure with your soil before filling your containers according to the pot size. Then you add a measure as top dress every 2 weeks and water it in….

brb with link….Geoflora Organic Dry mix here is the Geoflora Organic Dry mix Q&A thread….. it’s hard to beat a product like this, it’s featured in many grow journals here so there is plenty of support available and should you need more their rep logs in right here at 420….

BTW’s - welcome aboard…..

Welcome to 420Magazine, @XfishboyX. You can't go wrong with a light from @Mars Hydro. Have a look at their FC or FC-E models. Feel free to check out any of the other sponsors and their offerings. You can usually save a few dollars with a coupon code at checkout. I wouldn't worry about the cmh, most LEDs work fine for vegetative and flowering cycles. The LED light you're looking at from vs only covers a 2x2 area, so you'd need 4 of them for your 4x4 tent.

You can grow some stellar bud under the 315 but it does best flowering a 3x3 footprint. having tried both, i would just get the LED and run it from seed to harvest. Ever since I got my quantum board LEDs my CMH has been sitting on the shelf. Also, they're pretty heavy. They're revered as a low heat option but it kept my 2x4 bloom room pretty hot. I think it's because the hood is pyramid shaped and doesn't let the hot air move away from the bulb.
As for supplies, get some insecticidal soap and some preventive stuff like sns209 to include with your feedings.
What kind of pots are you using?
I'd plan on multiple sizes to step the plant up every few weeks unless you're running autoflowers.
I'd Also incorporate some worm castings to mix into your soil.
Don't forget circulation fan(s) and a light timer.
Remember when setting it up, wet stuff down low, electric stuff up high!

You are in charge of the amount of nutrient burn, if any your plant gets. They are specifically formulated and dosaging is available directly on the container. Some people start with 1/2 of the recommended dosage and see how their plants respond. Some go with what it says. Each strain, each plant is different however, so throughout the grow be sure to monitor how they are responding to the feeds. You may have to jump up a little or go down a touch. Oops flushing..that too, is in your hands. Plenty of info on this site on flushing how to and how not to. Troll and search and ask questions and you will find and receive any answers. This place rocks
Alright cool, I’ll look into it! Thank you!

Nope Geoflora is a dry mix granular nute product, you mix it in by measure with your soil before filling your containers according to the pot size. Then you add a measure as top dress every 2 weeks and water it in….

brb with link….Geoflora Organic Dry mix here is the Geoflora Organic Dry mix Q&A thread….. it’s hard to beat a product like this, it’s featured in many grow journals here so there is plenty of support available and should you need more their rep logs in right here at 420….

BTW’s - welcome aboard…..
Oh alright, I’ll have to keep that in mind. Sounds simple enough lol

Welcome to 420Magazine, @XfishboyX. You can't go wrong with a light from @Mars Hydro. Have a look at their FC or FC-E models. Feel free to check out any of the other sponsors and their offerings. You can usually save a few dollars with a coupon code at checkout. I wouldn't worry about the cmh, most LEDs work fine for vegetative and flowering cycles. The LED light you're looking at from vs only covers a 2x2 area, so you'd need 4 of them for your 4x4 tent.
Honestly lights have been confusing me, I heard that you should use 250-400 watt lights for veg and 600-1000 watts for veg, but anytime I try to shop for LEDs it just says “while only consuming 100 watt” so I don’t know what it actually is, and then the lumens come in, I feel like I’m being given false information or useless information every time I look at lights. I see 013 said to look at wall draw for wattage so would “651” be the actual wattage for this? (It doesn’t say what the wattage is at all except there)

5B1FE6C7-EC4F-4A77-943B-626EF5F93FF2.png

Honestly lights have been confusing me, I heard that you should use 250-400 watt lights for veg and 600-1000 watts for veg, but anytime I try to shop for LEDs it just says “while only consuming 100 watt” so I don’t know what it actually is, and then the lumens come in, I feel like I’m being given false information or useless information every time I look at lights. I see 013 said to look at wall draw for wattage so would “651” be the actual wattage for this? (It doesn’t say what the wattage is at all except there)

5B1FE6C7-EC4F-4A77-943B-626EF5F93FF2.png
And I know that lumens is a measurement of light but I don’t see how I translate that to what it means for the plants

How is the wiring in your basement? I have my tent in a small room where the breaker box is located. Only outlet I am using in the ceiling uses a good quality wire to the box. Wire is no more than 4’ long. I’ve eliminated the heater and humidifier from the equation this grow. 70 degrees in basement but winter is coming. I have a duct in place to run heat from the furnace if need be. Look into it. Installing a smoke detector in ceiling. Have yet to get an extinguisher.

How is the wiring in your basement? I have my tent in a small room where the breaker box is located. Only outlet I am using in the ceiling uses a good quality wire to the box. Wire is no more than 4’ long. I’ve eliminated the heater and humidifier from the equation this grow. 70 degrees in basement but winter is coming. I have a duct in place to run heat from the furnace if need be. Look into it. Installing a smoke detector in ceiling. Have yet to get an extinguisher.
A wise move Finnicki - safety first

Always worked towards 50w per sq ft with MH/HPS, 40w for LEDs as they are so much more efficient
Any light vendor that says you can get more light out than power you put in is lying, it is not possible
The FC above actually draws 650w/16 sq ft = 40w per sq ft - perfect, and you'll rarely need it on full power
Thank you for clearing that up! That helps a lot!!

Back
Top Bottom