Malasses

Some people do, but I don't personally. I've heard people both ways with it. If you do, make sure it's blackstrap unsulphered and has good amounts of the essential minerals ans vitamins.

Molasses, like any organic material, must be broken down by bacteria before it can be absorbed by the plants. In a DWC you generally want to keep a sterile res, so you have nothing in there to process organics, which means the plants will never use it. Adding molasses only serves to pollute the water and invite root disease problems.

Molasses, like any organic material, must be broken down by bacteria before it can be absorbed by the plants. In a DWC you generally want to keep a sterile res, so you have nothing in there to process organics, which means the plants will never use it. Adding molasses only serves to pollute the water and invite root disease problems.

you dont think there isnt bacteria in the media?
I have a 37g res....with 2 air pumps and 4 huge air stones...and 2 powerheads to circulate it....it wont gum anything up...I speak from experience not opinion.......and I use Floranova....

you dont think there isnt bacteria in the media?
I have a 37g res....with 2 air pumps and 4 huge air stones...and 2 powerheads to circulate it....it wont gum anything up...I speak from experience not opinion.......and I use Floranova....

If Molasses has a positive effect, could you share it with us please? Thank you.

Hello Bubble heads. I was wondering if anyone has ever used malasses in a bubble system. Thank you for ur input.

At an other site, a grower tried adding it in Deep Water Culture as an experiment, and it clogged the filter in the submersive water pump and made it so sticky, it shut the pump down. It clogs and ruins the 1/4 inch tubing and irrigation hub manifold too that you use in Deep Water Culture, so that it can't be re-used again.
Don't do it.

What about using it in the last few wks of flowering when theres' no ware pump in the res !? What will the benefits be ? if any !

Molasses is a syrupy, thick juice created by the processing of either sugar beets or the sugar cane plant. Depending on the definition used, Sweet Sorghum also qualifies as a molasses, although technically it's a thickened syrup more akin to Maple Syrup than to molasses. Emphasis on the words THICK, SYRUPY, and add STICKY.

The reason nutrient manufacturer's and Home Growers have "discovered" molasses is the simple fact that it's a great source of carbohydrates to stimulate the growth of beneficial microorganisms. "Carbohydrate" is really just a fancy word for sugar, and molasses is the best sugar for horticultural use in soil growing. Listen to GrumpyGrower. Molasses is certainly food for a wide array of microorganisms, in particular, fungi and bacteria, that you do not want.
Now the really, really bad news is that applying any form of sugar to the soil is like putting up a large freeway "Dennys" sign for all the other undesirable microorganisms in the soil...attracting them to the region around your plant. If you are using sterile media for soil, you will get some respite, but many of these undesirable microorganisms create airborne spores, again VERY UNDESIRABLE.

In addition to sugars, molasses contains significant amounts of potash, sulfur, and a variety of micronutrients. Because molasses is derived from plants, and because the manufacturing processes that create it remove mostly sugars, the majority of the mineral nutrients that were contained in the original sugar cane or sugar beet are still present in molasses. This is a critical factor because a balanced supply of mineral nutrients is essential for those "beneficial beasties" to survive and thrive.

One final benefit molasses can provide to your garden is it's ability to work as a chelating agent. That's a scientific way of saying that molasses is one of those "magical" substances that can convert some chemical nutrients into a form that's easily available for critters and plants to absorb and digest. Chelated minerals can be absorbed directly and remain available and stable in the soil.

Remember the song JUST A LITTLE BIT OF SUGAR HELPS THE MEDICINE GO DOWN? But is sugar good for you? AND it attracts ants.

All the books I have about growing pot say TREAT THE SOIL, AND NOT THE PLANT and FEED THE SOIL AND NOT THE PLANT, when IT comes to using molasses, but they suggest molasses substitutes that have been refined.

But you have asked about use in Deep Water Culture.

Personally, first let me tell you, I just HATE the nutrient sellers that advertise MIRACLE BUDS, ELEPHANT BUDS, WHALE BUDS, TIGER GROW-FAST, SUPER DUPER GROW NUTES, and the nute vendors that sell you 50 cents worth of something like urea, dung, manure, dried piss, bat crap, molasses, etc for $14 a quart. BUT, if you want to experiment and see what additional carbs can do for your vegging and especially your flowering plants in Deep Water Culture, buy some CARBOLOAD, from Advanced Nutrients, or try Overdrive and Dr. Hornby's Big Bud, Piranha and Voodoo Juice, or look for the word CARB or carbohydrates on the label. They are made for Hydroponics and are diluted and NOT so sticky and thick.

I've tried molasses in dwc, its a BAD idea, everything was going great, plants were perfectly healthy, I just wanted a little more flavor, added about a tablespoon of molasses to a 5 gallon res., next day I check the plant, it looks like hell, I check the reservoir and there is foam bubbling up on top, and the roots are covered in slime. great. I changed the res, and added h202, the plant didn't recover and kept dying, I had to harvest early. Similar thing happened when I added Earth Juice Catalyst, it's their "hydro-organic" sweetener/carb product, the results were similar but less intense, and the ph of the res went threw the roof to 8.5+, I had to harvest early again because of it. DWC is too sensitive for molasses, juice, etc, however in soil you can use all that no problem.

In my DWC I just use tap water, advanced nutrients sensi 2 part, and a dose of 0-50-30 bloom booster, and the results are the best harvests I've ever gotten.

Back
Top Bottom