Male plant separation - Was in Grower's Lounge

naturaldoc

I just realized that this question should be placed here:

I am growing in a natural greenhouse (no extra heat or light). If I move male plants outside, is there a chance of pollinizing the females inside the greenhouse? If so, how far away would I have to keep the males?

Male plant separation (was in Grower's Lounge)

If you are able to put them in their own greenhouse it would be safer. Have a way to close both so there won't be any airflow unless you want you exchange the air inside the greenhouses. I think that it they should be okay if you do that. There will still be a chance of accidental pollination if you go from the male to female greenhouse or some pollen gets into the female greenhouse. I think the chance of accidental pollination would be less if you keep the males in a greenhouse of their own.

Re: Male plant separation (was in Grower's Lounge)

Thanks, aknoob. I was hoping that the pollen from the males wouldn't travel too far. I know when growing tobacco, you have to bag up the pollen heads to keep the strains from mixing. Hmm. I wonder if moving them outside (about 100 feet away) and bagging them would work.

Pollen can travel far either by wind or bugs. Moving and bagging them should work but be sure that you have a good seal around the pods.

Back
Top Bottom