Man Sentenced On Charges Of Growing Marijuana, Child Endangerment

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
A Happy Valley-Goose Bay man was sentenced Tuesday to a 14-month conditional sentence in a marijuana-growing case that sparked the first-ever charge laid for child endangerment under the Child Youth and Family Services Act in relation to marijuana grows.

Corey Saunders, 34, appeared in provincial court in Happy Valley-Goose Bay Tuesday and pleaded guilty to four charges resulting from a RCMP investigation into a marijuana grow operation in the community in November 2007.

The charges included: cultivation of cannabis marijuana; possession of marijuana for the purpose of trafficking; trafficking in marijuana; and child endangerment under the Child Youth and Family Services Act.

Saunders is also prohibited from owning a firearm for 10 years.

On Nov. 22, 2007, RCMP executed a search warrant on a residence in Happy Valley-Goose Bay and seized 37 marijuana plants in various stages of growth from seedlings to several feet in height, as well as other marijuana grow paraphernalia.

The RCMP says the charge of child endangerment and guilty plea to it, sets a precedent for the future consideration by law enforcement to apply the section of law. The force says it also serves to enhance the protection of children and provides further deterrents to people from growing marijuana.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Telegram, The (CN NF)
Copyright: 2008 The Telegram
Website: The Telegram - St. John?s, NL: Newfoundland, Canada's Oldest City

Did anybody ask the kid if he would rather be with his dad or have him go to jail for growing a weed?

^ i bet not. sounded like it was that guys hobby, like most responsible adults. 25 seedlings 12 vegging 6 flowering, thats not too much.

Fucking child endangerment, people don't know their ass from their elbow. Fucking brainwashed unpassionaite bastards. He is growing a plant, one that certainly is not going to endanger a child or anyone for that matter. Peoples minds are so twisted to allow all the horrible things easily available and accepted by the public. WAKE THE FUCK UP PEOPLE!!!!!!!!! This assumption of danger based on uneducated, irrational, pseudo science which is 100% prejudice needs to STOP!!!!!!!

Can someone explain to me in what way, shape, or form growing marijuana counts as child endangerment?...I dont understand why anyone in thier right mind would plea guilty to that charge.

Fucking child endangerment, people don't know their ass from their elbow. Fucking brainwashed unpassionaite bastards. He is growing a plant, one that certainly is not going to endanger a child or anyone for that matter. Peoples minds are so twisted to allow all the horrible things easily available and accepted by the public. WAKE THE FUCK UP PEOPLE!!!!!!!!! This assumption of danger based on uneducated, irrational, pseudo science which is 100% prejudice needs to STOP!!!!!!!

I second that fastlan3

Can someone explain to me in what way, shape, or form growing marijuana counts as child endangerment?...I dont understand why anyone in thier right mind would plea guilty to that charge.

/Sarc

Here's the logic chain as I perceive it :)

1) growing marijuana is illegal

2) police are needed to protect the population from the illegal activities of marijuana growing

3) Police must gear up like SWAT to ensure their safety while protecting the populace

4) When SWAT busts take place, the criminal growers are at risk because of the door rams, guns, confusion, noise bang grenades, power crazed militarized officers, etc.

5) Any grower that has a child, puts that child at risk because when SWAT comes in to protect the people from the illegal activity the child could be harmed by the officers that are otherwise only doing their job

6) Further, the risk of a SWAT bust significantly supresses supply because fewer growers are willing to take the chance - unless of course the market prices are artificially very high

7) Since the MJ price is very high, it also attracts criminals who wish to rip off the growers further risking the chance that guns and violence will be brought into the life of the child

8) Q.E.D. (Quod erat demonstrandum) the grower is guilty of child endagerment for exposing the child to all the dangers of prohibition.

Ironically, conditions 2 through 8 fail to present when condition 1 changes.

My conclusion: maybe growing marijuana (for adult use) shouldn't be illegal?

Very logical soniq

i remember some articles i posted and in many cases it was the nutes and other chemicals they used to prove endangerment. of course they wouldn't take kids away from parents who use similar products to grow their house plants, or the paint, gas and all the rest they have in their garage, not to mention the stuff under the kitchen sink or in the bathroom.

Back
Top Bottom