Marijuana Advocates Get Hearing On Beacon Hill

420 Warrior

One Hampshire County legislator is asking Beacon Hill lawmakers to consider a bill that would legalize and tax marijuana.

On Tuesday, Amherst Representative Ellen Story testified before the Committee on the Judiciary saying regulating and taxing the commercial production, distribution and sale of cannabis will create an industry that will add jobs and new revenue.

"I wouldn't want myself going in getting it or making it easier for my daughter to go in anywhere and get it," said Carole Rau of Turners Falls, who is against the proposal.

In 2008 more than 60 percent of Massachusetts voters decriminalized the possession of less than an ounce of marijuana. And it is because of this overwhelming support that proponents of the measure say the legalization and taxation of the drug will spark some interest.

"These are people who don't smoke pot but they see people who do and they realize that, compared to alcohol or tobacco, the effects of marijuana on public health and public safety is virtually benign," said Dick Evans, author of H1371, An Act to Regulate and Tax the Cannabis Industry.

Evans is a Northampton lawyer. He authored the H1371 bill which would allow commercially produced cannabis to be purchased by adults from licensed retailers. It would be sold in one ounce packages and taxed.

"Certainly there'll be people who need it for health reasons and it should be accessible to them and having more revenue for the state is always good," said Steffi Schamess of Florence.

Michael Burek of Montague agrees, "I just think that would be better because the government knows what's going on and no one can get hurt," said Burek.

Similar efforts are happening in states like Washington and Colorado. Evans told 22News the success of these measures will play a role in the legalization of cannabis in Massachusetts.

Dems_say_medical_marijuana_resolution_not_up_in_smoke_1_1331086915.jpg

News Hawk - 420 Warrior 420 MAGAZINE
Source: 22News WWLP
Author: Anaridis Rodriguez
Copyright: © Copyright 2000 - 2012 WWLP-TV

Back
Top Bottom