Marijuana Strain Naming Rights?

SkinnyChef

I have a question...

What give a person the right to name a strain then have it remain that?

I have some pot growing ..I have no Idea what they were "name wise"

Can I name it and it's clones thus becoming a "new" strain?

Or..
is it a very involved process of cross breeding and pollinating..even genetics?

If so..
I can cross breed the pot in my closet???

Can I set up a genetics lab in my kitchen?

Well...
I guess I can name a strain...

Great!
When the plants have matured...I'll name the strains and let ya know..maybe someday you'll purchase some from your near by bud tender

I'm a long way from being an expert on the subject, but it seems to me that things are run very loosely in that area. Genetics in some other fields seem to follow a scientific method. I seriously doubt that if someone came up with a strain it can even be checked to see if its genetics haven't been already established by someone else. I've seen so many variations of the strain "Jack Herer" that it makes me sick (not to mention almost eliminates the possibility of getting the Sativa-dominant one I want). If you have to call a strain "The Original Flo", then it's obvious to me that there is a lot of disarray out there and if it's that way, I say what the Hell? Personally I wish it were better organized.

P.S.: Get ready for "PotChimp's Poopoo Grabber" coming soon to a dispensary near you!
:)

Ive always wondered about this... more specifically, if i cross bred two strains, say ...skunk and ...kush, when i launched the product and told people that it was a cross between (someone elses) skunk and kush, do i require licensing or to pay them royalties?
Dont mean to hijack your thread mate but maybe someone will clear it up for us.

Ive always wondered about this... more specifically, if i cross bred two strains, say ...skunk and ...kush, when i launched the product and told people that it was a cross between (someone elses) skunk and kush, do i require licensing or to pay them royalties?
Dont mean to hijack your thread mate but maybe someone will clear it up for us.

I'm with you on the thread hijacking thing (I don't mean to, either), but in a perfect world it would seem like the steps would be:

1) Stabilize the hybrid so that if your new strain is "Energy x Mass" one of the kids doesn't come out an "Energy" and the other a "Mass".
2) Contact some type of horticulture department dealing with these type matters, give them the strain's genetic history or let them do testing to determine this (if possible).
3) Do research to make sure that the strain is not "copyrighted" or "patented" already.
4) If determined to be a new strain, paperwork is filed to give you the exclusive rights to the name as well as cover other legal aspects.
5) CONGRATS! You are the proud Father (or Mother) of a new strain!

As it stands now it, seems that I could name it anything I want if I stabilize it. Out of respect for the man and everything he's done for us all, I wouldn't even think of doing it myself, but if someone stabilized a buzzless hemp species and decided to name it "Jack Herer" or someone named a good strain something stupid like "Arsenic", a person goes out after seeing the name, smokes real arsenic and dies, what could we really do? Call the cops?

I'm with you on the thread hijacking thing (I don't mean to, either), but in a perfect world it would seem like the steps would be:

1) Stabilize the hybrid so that if your new strain is "Energy x Mass" one of the kids doesn't come out an "Energy" and the other a "Mass".
2) Contact some type of horticulture department dealing with these type matters, give them the strain's genetic history or let them do testing to determine this (if possible).
3) Do research to make sure that the strain is not "copyrighted" or "patented" already.
4) If determined to be a new strain, paperwork is filed to give you the exclusive rights to the name as well as cover other legal aspects.
5) CONGRATS! You are the proud Father (or Mother) of a new strain!

As it stands now it, seems that I could name it anything I want if I stabilize it. Out of respect for the man and everything he's done for us all, I wouldn't even think of doing it myself, but if someone stabilized a buzzless hemp species and decided to name it "Jack Herer" or someone named a good strain something stupid like "Arsenic", a person goes out after seeing the name, smokes real arsenic and dies, what could we really do? Call the cops?

Holy Crap!!!
That's easy for you to say....

Maybe I will just call all strains "Chit" and be done with it.
Guess I am off to burn a bowl of that good "Chit"

call it whatever you want, but tell people what is in it. If you created the strain by breeding two different strains, then anyone you pass the strain onto should be aware of its genetic makeup, and how stabilized the strain is. There are a ton of white widow strains, from many different breeders, and they each have different genetic makeups. If you're just giving/selling the grown herb to other people, I doubt anyone really cares what you called it. If you're growing out a clone/seed that was given to you, you should be aware of its genetic makeup / strain name already.

in a nutshell, I think you can name a plant anything you want, but if you start breeding and producing seeds / clones for others to grow, you should provide as much information from the parents as you can. That being said, if you're crossing 2 different strains, you can name the child strain whatever you want. Chances are nobody will buy your seeds unless they know it produces genetically sound plants.

I really don't think the breeder has a license on the strain name, and if so, you're simply listing the ingredients to what went into the strain, not copying the strain name itself

Holy Crap!!!
That's easy for you to say....

Maybe I will just call all strains "Chit" and be done with it.
Guess I am off to burn a bowl of that good "Chit"

Stick with the capital "C" on that name, SkinnyChef. There's a strain out that's spelled with the "S" and the seed breeder's attorney may contact you with a cease and desist order (just kidding). ;)

Stick with the capital "C" on that name, SkinnyChef. There's a strain out that's spelled with the "S" and the seed breeder's attorney may contact you with a cease and desist order (just kidding). ;)

Hahahahaha...

I will plead.."Stoned" in court!

Your attorney will probably advise you to go with the $hit defense. His opening statement will be, "Your Honor, as we all know $hit happens. Now I'm not exactly sure what kind of $hit led up to this $hit and I really don't give a $hit, but I've got to tell you THIS IS SOME $HIT! $hit has been around longer than any other kind of $hit I can even think of, so what little $hit came up with the $hitty idea that he could claim exclusive rights to the word $hit? Damn $hit keeps up and the $hit is gonna hit the fan, Shithead! And don't give me any $hit about it either, 'cause I know my $hit!"

But if the Judge doesn't rule in your favor, you'll REALLY be in deep $hit then.....

i agree with pot chimp we need more organization on the strain names however there are so many out there, but at the same time if im taking the time and hard work to breed a set of genes for some new great strain i think id like to name my strain to.

*********NEWS FLASH*********
Mass Marijuana Naming Is Causing Confusion Among Stoners!
Recent reports of gang style marijuana naming has authorities concerned.
New strain names for Medical Marijuana have reportedly been increasing by as many as 1000 a day. Leaving both users and non-users dazed and confused!

My New Strain names

Harley Humpelfuck
Din-o-mite

Haa. Gahd skinny i love your last post....good work my man and sorry about the job brotha...you didnt leave any pipes laying around before they closed i hope....peace my man :hippy:

Haa. Gahd skinny i love your last post....good work my man and sorry about the job brotha...you didnt leave any pipes laying around before they closed i hope....peace my man :hippy:

:) Thanks Canna...and I remembered to grab my corn cob pipe before he closed.

Ahhh the corn cob shit i almost forgot...:ciao:

Honestly i dont think there are any strains left out there not mixed nowadays...

Ahhh the corn cob shit i almost forgot...:ciao:

Honestly i dont think there are any strains left out there not mixed nowadays...

I am growing a strain right now called Wild Thailand. It is an unmixed strain. I also have Dr. Grinspoon seeds that are not hybrids, but true natural species whose genetics have not been tampered with (the word to look for in the strain descriptions is "landrace").

Come to think of it, the South African Kwazulu seed I planted a few days ago is also a landrace strain, I believe.
On a less serious note:
Thanks SkinnyChef! After a few days of researching the name you gave me an idea with something you said above. We can even split the profits! We'll cross the strains "The Church" and "$hit", and when we stabilize it we'll call it "Holy Crap"!
;)
Come to think of it if we do that, the attorneys for the sitcom "Everybody Loves Raymond" will be contacting us with a cease and desist order, huh? Oh well, we can always use the Holy Crap defense.....

Back
Top Bottom