Marijuana Tax Collections Drop In November

Katelyn Baker

Tax collections from the sale of recreational marijuana were down by more than $1 million in Oregon for the month of November, according to the Oregon Department of Revenue.

Last month, the state collected approximately $6.4 million from recreational marijuana sales, a 17 percent decline from the collection total in October. Joy Krawczyk, public information officer for the Oregon Department of Revenue, said the numbers reflect sales from the previous month, and the lower number could reflect changes to the tax rate on recreational marijuana, which went into effect Oct. 1. As of October, retailers licensed by the Oregon Liquor Control Commission must charge a tax of 17 percent, according to the Oregon Department of Revenue's website. Previously, the rate stood at 25 percent for all stores selling recreational marijuana.

Erin Kennedy, a Portland cannabis consultant and founder of Aperture Consulting Group, said another factor could be due to the backlog caused by state-required testing for containments and potency, which also saw new rules beginning on Oct. 1.

"It's taking a lot longer for those products to reach the shelves," Kennedy said.

For the year to date, Oregon has received $54.5 million in tax collections on recreational marijuana.

DrewAngerer1.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Marijuana Tax Collections Drop In November
Author: Staff
Photo Credit: Drew Angerer

Home grown cannabis prolly a contributing factor, nudgenudge winkwink

Along with the high fees for them to get licensed, and all the hoops you have to jump thru to get licensed, and all the money they have to spend on testing the products before it can be sold (if it passes tests), as I haven't seen a drop in Retail prices since tax rate went from 25% down to 17-20% (not sure if we have the 3% city/county tax here or not to be honest). Couple in the novelty of it is probably is starting to wear off, it was like being a "kid in a candy store" with all the choices "oh I got to try some of that strain...and that one ....oh look at that one", as you might have a couple choices of strains buying on the black market (varies on who/where you get it I imagine) but not 30+ to choose from when you buying some at a Dispensary. Retail still limited to a 1/4 oz a day, Dispensary I go to is $55-80 a quarter depending on quality/THC %/trim/strain/god knows, other places in town it can top out at $110 a quarter to buy it legally, or one can get a oz for $160-200 on the street which is quite a difference. Maybe eventually I will get the hang of growing it and not have to worry about it so much, though time will tell on that ;) :rofl::rofl:

EDIT: well crap that was post 666 for me here...oh oh ;) :rofl::rofl:

Back
Top Bottom