Marijuana vs Cannabis

ozone1000

i hate the word marijuana it was named by 1920s lumber because hemp was cutting into there profits it was said that it would make people rage and just over all do very bad things over all it was called marijuana because it sounded Mexican i havent fact check this but in fairly sure im right but feel free to correct me and if i put this in the wrong thread sorry in new the 420 and still getting the hang of this well over all new2 to smoking (full disability)

First of all, welcome to the forums! :welcome: :high-five:

And I, too, hate that word (I refuse to even write it or say it if possible). There was a lot of racism toward immigrant workers during that period (though apparently not a lot has changed since that time). That term was a slander tool that was often used in newspapers to make those workers seem "dangerous". And that term was then applied to the cannabis plant in any form, and for any use. This, of course, also includes industrialized hemp as you've pointed out.

But even today, people use the 'M-word' to describe a plant that is now being grown with zero THC content. To 99% of the world's population, the 'M-word' represents a drug. But as many on this site very well know, cannabis strains that have zero THC and high CBD don't/can't get anyone high, and are essentially a superfood [which I personally infuse into olive oil]. Most people don't even realize that consuming cannabis raw can't get you high, either. People see it, smell it, hear about it, and the first thing that comes to their mind is "drug".

In so many ways, the public has to educate themselves on what cannabis actually is. And using the 'M-word' certainly doesn't help, in fact it continues to set us back several decades. And the politics that continue to place this plant as a 'schedule I drug' are just as old. The world needs to look at what the plant is, and what it's become, with fresh new eyes. It's not the 'M-word'. It's love, happiness, freedom, and life.

thank you for your post it was very informative and i really love learning new things i wasent sur how close i was to the money so thank you

Welcome ozone1000. Newbie here too.

Good info OnlyOrganic. I rarely use the "m word" anymore, or "pot" for that matter. I use it's proper name, cannabis. My friends act like it's strange or something. I tell them to stop promoting prejudice against cannabis and to start calling it by the right name and things might change sooner than later.

I seem to remember seeing in a documentary that the AMA was tricked by the name change from cannabis to marihuana and voted in favor of making one of their go-to medicines illegal. Their backing to make marihuana illegal carried a lot of weight in the public's eyes, and the AMA was pissed when they found out it was cannabis they had helped to make illegal under the name marihuana. I doubt that many, if any people knew it was also hemp that would be made illegal at the same time too.

Go to youtube and watch "Grass - The History of Marijuana (Narrated By Woody Harrelson)". It gives some info about your question and some of the actual reasons why and how cannabis was made illegal.

I didn't like typing the m word so many times and that's why it's spelled with an h instead of a j, just like when the scumbags made cannabis and hemp illegal.

Enjoy your stay.

Also check out The Union: The Business Behind Getting High, it's available on Netflix if you have it.

Back
Top Bottom