Masked Men Steal Medical Marijuana

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
An Oregon City man was held at gunpoint and his three children were locked in a closet after three intruders invaded their home in search of medical marijuana.

At about 8:30 a.m. Wednesday, the man heard someone knocking on his front door and proclaiming that his girlfriend had just sideswiped their vehicle, according to Oregon City police. When the man answered the door, three masked men, at least one of them armed with a handgun, rushed through the door, police said.

The victim said the three men ransacked the home, demanded money and took about 1 1/2 pounds of marijuana. At one point, the victim's 12-year-old daughter witnessed her father on the floor while one of the intruders held a gun to his head, police said.

No one was injured during the robbery, but police said the children were shaken up by the home invasion.

The victim told police it was the first marijuana grow he had harvested.

The robbery occurred in the 1100 block of Hughes Street. Police describe the robbers as three black men in their 20s. One of them was described as a light-skinned black male.

Anyone with information is asked to call Oregon City police.

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: kxl.com
Copyright: 2009 Alpha Broadcasting

This a common thing happening more and more! Watched a show last week about Humboldt County CA., Mainly Arcadia that even non-growing households living in fear are arming themselves against thiefs that just pick random homes in hopes they come across a grow to ransack. This has ONE simple remedy.... Legalize Cannabis!

i saw the same humbolt report you did. i gotta say that some of those people had crossed the line into paranoia. the rental properties they showed that had been damaged by growers i found to be compeling. to destroy anothers property for the purpose of growing makes a victim of the property owners which means in those sort of cases Cannabis is not a victimless crime. its not right. but its the illegality that is the root of the problem.

as for this article i would imagine that somebody talked when they shouldn't have. it wasn't just a random robbery. do patients who grow in oregon register their grows with anyone like the police?

if your gonna grow your meds you need to keep it secret even if your doing it legal.

Here in Oregon a legal medical grow has to be registered with the state and you have to have a "permit" posted. It does not specify where the permit is to be posted other than plain sight. The location address, phone, and person in charge of the grow is all needed in order to get a legal grow/use card. Supposedly the state does not release the information to law enforcement.

The above incident had to be more than random. Likely the grower either talked or had inside information. Just remember that LEO may not be the only ones watching grow shops.

i would imagine that this information would be valuable and potentially profitable to anyone who has access to the records. law enforcement has a long track record of corruption when it comes to drugs and money. registration as a grower is a poor policy and not given as much thought as it should have been. having a doctors recomendation should be all a person needs. the medical information should be kept within the medical community and be just as confidential as any other medical records (not that our records are all that secure).

my best thoughts go out to the family who were the victims. these are scars that could last a lifetime for the daughter.

Re-Legalize and End the Madness!

I watched that show also and it was a sadly produced,one sided look at the issue.

They talked as if this was the only problem in these peoples lives and cannabis was the scourge of the society.

It was like looking at a picture of something only they have three quarters of the picture covered and you have to decide whether you like it just from what you are shown.

You mentioned the houses. They did look bad. You have to ask yourself though how often did they check their property? Just drop in and say hi. I'm guessing it wasn't very often which most renters will tell you is standard, and directly related to how often the landlord fixes the place up ie: painting, appliance upgrades,yardwork, etc,etc,.

and how many of the landlords know when they rent that a grow-op is planned.

Likely more than will admit it. Not uncommon for a grower to cut the landlord in on the profits. When the grower moves on the landlord has been pre-paid for the inconvienice (in some cases) and gets to deduct the cost of repairs as an expense. Of course there are plenty of a-holes that will just grow and go leaving the land ower with a huge mess and $$ loss.

With all the research I've done over the past few years, listening to the words of Jack Herer, Marc Emery, Rick Simpson, Eddy Lepp and others, I've come to the conclusion that the ONLY workable solution to the problem is the full legalization for responsible adults.

Once this occurs, anyone who wants to grow a few plants at home will be able to do so. Large-scale commercial growers will be regulated the same as alcohol or pharmaceuticals are today, and those growers will have to be certified as to the purity, strength and quality of their product, whether it's going to the medical or recreational market.

Let's face it, most people won't grow their own, but will opt to hit the nearest coffee shop "a la Amsterdam" to pick up their weed, so this will spawn an entirely new industry, replacing one that is almost entirely underground, and hence, totally tax free.

Since every penny of any taxes collected on cannabis/hemp sales will be an entirely NEW revenue stream, there will be absolutely no need to create new tax schemes, and regulatory schemes can be directly imported from the existing alcohol industry. I think that the wine industry would likely be the best regulatory model, since grapes are grown, and purity is paramount there for a final product as well. You won't get a good wine if your grapes are soaked with chemicals and fertlizers and pesticides, and the same holds true with cannabis...or any other natural produce for that matter!

With alcohol, people are allowed to make their own, so long as it is for personal consumption and not made for sale, and there are literally thousands of small wineries and beer making shops all over North America today in support of the home brewers. I expect that once cannabis is legalized, a similar situation will arise with small greenhouses popping up all over the continent, growing for those who don't want to grow at home, but still want to be in complete control of the end product, at a cheaper cost than commercial growers will provide the same product for.

Add to this the reduced police costs, lower court costs, and tremoudously lower prison expenses, and we've got a win-win situation! Add to this the fact that without the criminal element in control of cannabis, the majority of their market will shrivel, as will most of the criminals who currently sell to anyone with a few nickels to rub together..such as schoolkids.

I remember when I was in high school I could get anything that I wanted, but beer and liquor took a lot more work. The same is true today. Any highschool kid can get his hands on any illegal or pharmaceutical drug they know exists, but it's more difficult to get beer or liquor because those items are controlled, regulated, and dispensed by responsible vendors.

Want your kids to stay off drugs? Make them legal, and take control over their distribution from criminals and give it to honest people for a change...what can it possibly hurt to go back to the way things used to be since humanity first found cannabis 10-12,000 years ago? We've only ruined things for the last 70 years...everything was fine before then!

The only thing that makes long-term sense is full legalization for responsible adults.

Back
Top Bottom