McCain’s VP Pick Acknowledged Marijuana Use

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Noting that his just-announced vice presidential pick, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, has acknowledged having smoked marijuana, MPP is urging Sen. John McCain to respect states’ rights to set their own marijuana policies if he is elected president.

On Aug. 6, 2006, the Anchorage Daily News reported:

Palin said she has smoked marijuana — remember, it was legal under state law, she said, even if illegal under U.S. law — but says she didn’t like it and doesn’t smoke it now.

‘I can’t claim a Bill Clinton and say that I never inhaled.’

The paper quoted Palin as saying she opposed legalization of marijuana because of the “message” that would be sent to her children.

“Governor Palin is one of many millions of Americans who have used marijuana and gone on to live productive, wildly successful lives,” said MPP executive director Rob Kampia said in a statement released a little while ago. “That she used marijuana is no big deal, but what is a big deal is that she thinks that the 100 million Americans who have used marijuana, including herself, belong in jail. That wouldn’t be good for her kids.

“Perhaps most importantly, Alaska is one of 12 states that allow the medical use of marijuana, and one in five Americans currently live in those states. The heavy hand of the federal government has trampled state authority and tried to interfere with the implementation of these state-level medical marijuana laws. The GOP ticket should embrace the time-honored Republican principle of local control by promising to end the federal government’s war on sensible medical marijuana laws in both red and blue states.”

Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington have medical marijuana laws. New Mexico’s is the latest, passed by the Legislature last year. Montana’s medical marijuana law appeared on the November 2004 ballot, receiving 62 percent of the vote, exceeding George W. Bush’s total of 59 percent.

Early in the presidential campaign, McCain seemed to support a states’ rights position on medical marijuana, but later backed away from this and became overtly hostile, receiving an “F” grade from Granite Staters for Medical Marijuana.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Marijuana Policy Project
Author: Bruce Mirken
Copyright: 2008 Marijuana Policy Project

I am a stupid old man; my leaders say I am not smart enough after 60 years on this planet to make my own decisions. So let me see if I have this straight? If Palin feels marijuana users should be put in jail and she is an admitted marijuana user, should she not be put in jail? If a bank robber publicly admitted to robbing a bank you can bet the FEDs would lock that person up! I don’t think Palin meant she should go to jail she thinks we should have the same old double system. If you are a rich person on Oxycodine its ok LEGAL. But if you are poor or black and smoke a weed you go to jail ILLEGAL. If you are running for VP you have no laws you are above the law. Too bad we still have to live with the laws you are above! But we know that will never happen someone would get paid off big time! I hear what you are saying Palin.
You are saying let my only son spend the 20 years in jail to insure your PAC check is covered? How long do you think we are going to put up with this double standard? My opinion is not much longer!
So the message you are sending our children is if you have money and power you can get away with anything. If you are poor or black you go to jail to feed the machine the one our so called leaders built. Which now consumes 100 billion dollars a year and 2 million non violent good American that are to you disposable! We hear you Palin.. Another
bible thumping hypocrite!

A stupid old man

Back
Top Bottom