Stunned

Right.....
So I have a plant in my preferred media (coco) and a plant in Promix HP
The date stamped on the bag of Promix is Jan 27/2020
Am I fail on it because it's expired?
I have 2 seeds started at the same time in solo coco cups, then transplanted
One into coco, and one into Promix
Replies get pics

Peat moss expiration date?? Huh.... I always thought the older the better and in fact I always buy last years left over this spring. Already got the last 2 bales at my local nursery.

Sometimes its even a little cheaper.

Peat Moss by nature is pretty old already. like many many many years prolly older than me I'm 62.

I was kidding by saying the soil might not taste fresh.... imho it’s not going to impact your grow in any way but if you feel unsure then just hit it with mycos or microbes. Look... if they can sell you a freeze dried or vacuum packed dry power that grows into microbes the same could be accomplished by simply rehydrating your slightly out of date soil mix.

I seem to recall @InTheShed saying something less than ideal about using expired Promix
You recall correctly! This is what the manufacturer said about ProMix HP in an email conversation I had with them:

"The date on the packaging is the date of manufacturing. We recommend to use the product within one year of this date, since product can change with age. Because the peat moss used in making the product has some naturally occurring bacteria and fungi (not harmful), these microorganisms can biodegrade some ingredients over time. The product does not go bad, but it is different from when it is manufactured. Some of the changes that can occur with time include nitrogen drawdown, biodegradation of the wetting agent and elevation of pH. These changes are conditional depending on product storage over time. The warmer the storage temperature the more likely changes will occur."

I have found that old ProMix shifts in pH in response to the nitrate N in my fertilizer much faster than the fresh stuff.

That said, I'm still growing in it, and about to use up my fourth and final bale. :) Here is a list of the plants I've harvested in the expired ProMix HP.

Back
Top Bottom