Medical Marijuana Dispensary Headed For Reality TV

Mother Earth's Alternative Healing Cooperative medical marijuana dispensary in Fallbrook could be featured in an upcoming reality TV series about California's pot culture.

Two Los Angeles television producers were in town Wednesday to film interviews at the dispensary for a pilot episode they plan to pitch to Showtime, Bravo, Lifetime and other networks.

Between the two of them, Reel Reality Productions and G-Town Productions have produced several popular TV shows, including "Blind Date," "Rock of Love" and several VH1 reality series.

Reel Reality producer Dave Wilson said this week he has a good feeling about the show.

"This show with the real stories is going to be a hit," he said.

The series, tentatively titled "Grass Roots," will explore the "exploding pot culture," from growers in the northern part of the state to Southern California dispensaries that provide marijuana to medical patients, producers said.

California voters legalized marijuana for medical use in 1996 when they passed the Compassionate Use Act.

The nonprofit dispensary provides marijuana to about 1,000 patients with medical prescriptions. Doctors typically prescribe marijuana to help patients suffering from pain, to increase the appetites of patients going through chemotherapy, and to relieve eye pressure for people with glaucoma, among other things.

The dispensary charges patients $35 to $50 for an eighth of an ounce of marijuana.

Wilson said he began tossing around ideas with G-Town producers two years ago for a TV series, but that they had trouble finding dispensaries that would give them enough access to capture the personal stories unfolding behind the scenes.

He said many dispensary operators were reluctant to give his crew complete access to their facilities, saying they were concerned that publicity could lead to raids even if they're following the law.

"People want to do it, but they're very limited about what they want us to see," Wilson said. "It makes me think that maybe they're doing something wrong."

Mother Earth president and founder Bob Riedel said he's trying to make his business as transparent as possible, saying openness is the key to legitimacy and acceptance within the business community.

"I think our reputation is getting out there that we are compliant and trying hard" to be legitimate, he said.

The co-op joined Fallbrook's Chamber of Commerce in November and participated in the community's Christmas parade.

During his taped interview, Riedel talked about the organically grown marijuana, marijuana growing and cooking classes, and marijuana-based lotions and oils his co-op offers qualified patients.

The episode will also focus on patients, many of whom are suffering from serious or terminal illnesses.

"What happens is that sometimes people will come in and say, 'I probably won't see you again next week,'" Riedel said. "It's devastating around here. It's the worst feeling in the world to see someone you've laughed with go away and never come back."

Riedel said he hopes the series will capture the contrast between legitimate medical dispensaries such as Mother Earth and those that cater to recreational marijuana users.

"There are people out there doing this for the wrong reason; we get that," he said. "But the work we do here is really good and it's for the right reasons."

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: North County Times
Author: MORGAN COOK
Copyright: 2010 North County Times Californian

i don't think i like this idea. for one reality shows are never real. the minute you bring in the crew, producers and directors reality goes out the door. tv shows like these thrive on sensationalism, off beat characters, conflict and on and on. i can't see it doing mmj any good. if down the road Mother Earth finds its not being portrayed in a positive way they'll be committed to a contract with no way out.

I don't think this is a good idea either because it will jeopardize a persons right to doctor patient privilege. They do not film reality tv shows of people picking up prescriptions from drug stores. "The episode will focus on the patients." Do they mean the same patients who have a reasonable expectation of privacy?

If they need a start up in Denver Colorado to follow from conception to implementation, please let me know. :) Dave Wilson probably knows Mike Pack out in LA for our contact info.
~ Preserve Your Rights

They'll most likely blur out the people who don't want to be shown on camera but still want to get their story out there.

SIGN ME UP!!!!! :cheer:
:cheer:

Mother Earth's Alternative Healing Cooperative medical marijuana dispensary in Fallbrook could be featured in an upcoming reality TV series about California's pot culture.

Two Los Angeles television producers were in town Wednesday to film interviews at the dispensary for a pilot episode they plan to pitch to Showtime, Bravo, Lifetime and other networks.

Between the two of them, Reel Reality Productions and G-Town Productions have produced several popular TV shows, including "Blind Date," "Rock of Love" and several VH1 reality series.

Reel Reality producer Dave Wilson said this week he has a good feeling about the show.

"This show with the real stories is going to be a hit," he said.

The series, tentatively titled "Grass Roots," will explore the "exploding pot culture," from growers in the northern part of the state to Southern California dispensaries that provide marijuana to medical patients, producers said.

California voters legalized marijuana for medical use in 1996 when they passed the Compassionate Use Act.

The nonprofit dispensary provides marijuana to about 1,000 patients with medical prescriptions. Doctors typically prescribe marijuana to help patients suffering from pain, to increase the appetites of patients going through chemotherapy, and to relieve eye pressure for people with glaucoma, among other things.

The dispensary charges patients $35 to $50 for an eighth of an ounce of marijuana.

Wilson said he began tossing around ideas with G-Town producers two years ago for a TV series, but that they had trouble finding dispensaries that would give them enough access to capture the personal stories unfolding behind the scenes.

He said many dispensary operators were reluctant to give his crew complete access to their facilities, saying they were concerned that publicity could lead to raids even if they're following the law.

"People want to do it, but they're very limited about what they want us to see," Wilson said. "It makes me think that maybe they're doing something wrong."

Mother Earth president and founder Bob Riedel said he's trying to make his business as transparent as possible, saying openness is the key to legitimacy and acceptance within the business community.

"I think our reputation is getting out there that we are compliant and trying hard" to be legitimate, he said.

The co-op joined Fallbrook's Chamber of Commerce in November and participated in the community's Christmas parade.

During his taped interview, Riedel talked about the organically grown marijuana, marijuana growing and cooking classes, and marijuana-based lotions and oils his co-op offers qualified patients.

The episode will also focus on patients, many of whom are suffering from serious or terminal illnesses.

"What happens is that sometimes people will come in and say, 'I probably won't see you again next week,'" Riedel said. "It's devastating around here. It's the worst feeling in the world to see someone you've laughed with go away and never come back."

Riedel said he hopes the series will capture the contrast between legitimate medical dispensaries such as Mother Earth and those that cater to recreational marijuana users.

"There are people out there doing this for the wrong reason; we get that," he said. "But the work we do here is really good and it's for the right reasons."

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: North County Times
Author: MORGAN COOK
Copyright: 2010 North County Times Californian

lame......... So now you have to make sure that everyone on the camera crew sound light guys are all legal to even go into the back thers like 15 people behind the camera.i have a hard time when it's crowded already.your'e going to have to have extra security also.then when all the lookiloos find out there all gonna come down to try to get on tv.in my opinion i don't think it's a good idea.if a collective wants to do that buy a webcam and start a web show on some blog site.

i'm pretty sure that anyone being shown would need to sign a waiver first

Yeah for legalities I'm betting. I mean, they can't even show people in the street on those TV shows where they play jokes on people if they don't sign a waiver to let them have permission, etc.

for one reality shows are never real.

ITA

If they were, I don't think they'd have someone "directing you." LOL

Say it like you are best friends & then hug her.

Say that again, but this time, say it like you hate her.

Ok, say that again, but this time, like you love her, but then slap her after.

Ok, one more time, but I want you to say it like you just killed her boyfriend.

I think this is a wonderful idea. At this point even BAD publicity is good publicity. We need to get marijuana in front of the public so they get used to it. So that it's an everyday topic. What better way to do it than saturate the public through a shitty reality program!

I say kudos. Not much can be done to taint dispensaries at this point. The people that hate them are still going to hate them. Atleast the people who are indiferent can get a glimpse into the MMJ world for themselves.

lame......... So now you have to make sure that everyone on the camera crew sound light guys are all legal to even go into the back thers like 15 people behind the camera.i have a hard time when it's crowded already.your'e going to have to have extra security also.then when all the lookiloos find out there all gonna come down to try to get on tv.in my opinion i don't think it's a good idea.if a collective wants to do that buy a webcam and start a web show on some blog site.
Yea, Like LA Ink !!

Back
Top Bottom