Might or mite not be spider mites? w/ pics

Krhyme

Hello all,

This is my first post.

There is a problem with a few plants, not sure what strain.
There appears to be small yellow spots on the tops of some leaves.
It is not on all plants and has not seemed to spread.
I was first sure it was spider mites as they bite the top of the leaf and destroy the chlorophyll. However, when a sample was placed under a microscope and there showed no signs of spider mites. I also hear that they spin webs, and have seen nothing of the sort. Eggs were also not present, or I may be confusing them with trichomes.

Another hypothesis, is burning from the light while foliar feeding. However the plants are rarely misted, as they are now in flowering. Also some of the damaged areas are in areas where misting would not be likely. i.e. back of the room.

Here are some photo's, hopefully someone can help.

Bigleaf.jpg

Small_leaf.png

This is a magnified image of the underside of the leaf at 4x
Notice the spots and no eggs or mites

Microscope.png

Hoping this is some kind of nute deficiency. If its spider mites let me know and I'll get right on it. Thanks

Looks like a possible mite issue. Can you see them moving around when you magnified?

Also looks like some kind of nute deficiency on the top picture, but the last one looks like a fungi of some sort.

Thanks for checkin it out, I can't see anything moving while magnified. I've been searching under the scope for a good amount of time now haha. I don't see any eggs either. The roots are flooded constantly in an ebb and flow tray, so i don't think they are in danger. Humidity is in the low 20's or under so mold/fungi would be hard to grow. The second picture has a rip in the leaf, <<< my bad. If it were a nute deficiency, which one would you think it is? The problem is not spreading so i'm not too worried, just very curious. I'm afraid of getting spider mites, so maybe i had them and they died off? Not sure, but thanks for the info it was very helpful.

Are spider mites visible to the naked eye if you look really hard? haha funny question.

In my opinion and experience that doesn't look like mites. If you had mites you'd know it and be able to see them without magnification. I say Negative to it being mites. Can't tell you what I think it is because there is too many variables, but i am quite sure its not mites. Unless you can literally see mites, and the eggs on back of leaf. They wont be microscopic, you can see them and their little webs with the bare eye!

Thanks for the clarification. I can definitely stop worrying about those pests. Dodged a bullet there. My pH meter broke recently so I'm thinking its a pH problem, I have been changing the water weekly and it seems to be working well. I've been looking for a new meter but im also considering a replacement probe for the broken hanna meter.

I'll check if my local grow shop has any of that spray. And thanks for the info greenthumb, however as i understand it, mites become resistant to things so you have to try a plethora
of solutions. I've heard dish soap works and also doesn't leave spots on leaves as it messes with water's natural adhesive/cohesive properties. I've also heard about nicotine water and h202 in a spray bottle. not sure, I think I'll get myself a bottle of the proven stuff. Thank you to all. You have been more helpful than I imagined. :)

Back
Top Bottom