Minimum HEIGHT for jar

temran

Hey guys, Im starting my first garden, gunna be on closet. The dimensions are 55*90*70 (d*w*h) cm. Because of the limited vertical space, I decided to go scrog, 3 plants and 250W HPS. Since I got somewhat good amount of area, I figured that I could save some vertical space by going with low jars. 40*30*15 cm jar would hold 18 liters of soil for each plant, but is 15 cm tall jar enough for plant?

And is there something else I should take on consideration? Going to do this first time ever so Im not sure if Im familiar with all the aspects. Peace :smokin:

Try and figure out something to use besides jars.. Use a dark container that has drain holes.. Light is no good for the roots and you need drainage. Don't skimp on the soil, it will bite you in the ass later Or see if you can find a low pro hydro set up...:peace: And Welcome to 420.... Check the site out, most questions are answered somewhere and if not there are plenty of knowledgeable people here to help...

I know that light is baaaad for roots, I'll make sure any light wont get through the container but I just wanted to know if 15 cm tall container is high enough? I mean I've never seen anyone grow on that shallow container so Im not sure how this affects to growth. Also, do you think I should fix a lid with hole in the middle to block the light?

your soil needs to breath, so if you do end up using containers with the previously stated dimensions, don't cover the tops. as far a size go, thats almost 5gal, which is plenty of space.

but when you say jar I think glass, and there are a couple issues right of the bat with that. firstly: light. underground is dark, see?(wiggum) this could be solved with opaque tape, except for point 2: drainage. you would have to drill several holes in the bottom of the jar to let stuff out, and yeah.

so long post short: glass likely = more trouble than it's worth. but that hypothetical size is good.

Its not the height thats important, its the volume. Your roots need room to grow and spread. If it doesn't drain properly it can get root rot. Root rot will end up KILLING you crop!!!! Go with something like a window tray for flowers, if not up in height then out in length. You'll need most of the space you have.

Didnt mean glass container, soz for misunderstanding. Im going to use two 14*55*33cm plastic boxes, they fit perfectly to my closet and can hold almost seven gallons. I was thinking of using few cm's of gravel and holes on bottom as drain, what you guys think of this?
Peace :rollit:

I used 2gal in m first grow, nothing @ the bottom, seemed like the plants roots were too shalow so for my second grow i have 3 galon buckets and am keeping them smaller. Nothing at the bottom once again.

Back
Top Bottom