Miracle-Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix

Re: Miracle-Gro® Organic Choice® Potting Mix

Miracle-Gro® Organic Choice® Potting Mix is it any good? I cant see to find any good soil in my area! I live in the D.C. area so if anyone knows of a good shop let me know.Thanks

I use to use MG soil and had so many problems I switched to Fox Farm, MG KILLS plants it's some bad stuff, save your self some time don't use it, this comes from almost 25 years experance growing herbs and MJ.

Just saw this thread and figured I'd drop my 2 cents..

I used MG organic choice in my first grow and had no problems. I'm using it right now on my second and have 9 healthy seedlings.

I will mention that I used no nutes in my first grow and they were showing a deficiency when they were flowering, but all through veg, they were exploding with growth and very very green and healthy. It definitely makes for an easy grow, but if you're adding nutes it may not be the best thing to use.

I have been told that MG organic choice soil comes in 2 varieties, one with time release nutes and one without. I went without the time release nutes.

I switched a bunch of veggies last year from General Hydroponics areoponics setup up to MG Organic, and had no problems at all along with tasty veggies. They took to the soil fine after being in hydro for a month.

I almost got MG Organic for my most recent grow, but decided to swing by the hydro store at the last moment for some Fox Farm. No doubt FF has better stuff to start out, but if you mix MG with perlite, and they will both be out of nutrients by flowering anyways, I dont see why not growing with MG Organic. People get panicky cause MG nutes last 1 month, but so do Fox Farms soil. I might give it a try 1 single plant next time next to Fox Farm and check it out.

I agree with mixing perlite and/or coco with the MG. My experience with both FF and MG is that both hold moisture; both wouldn't dry after watering, but I'm in a humid climate so I blame it on that and I veg with blue leds so no heat to evaporate the water. I finally figured out to add a small fan in there and the soil dries out nicely now.

Another thing I found out, the MG ph for me stays at 7.5 alkaline, but it hasn't had any effect on either the flowering or vegging plants, least that I've noticed. I think with the chicken litter in the Mg giving the seedlings enough nutes as the worm castings in FF does.

Hi mr-natural: for me its to see which soil contributes to the quality of the buds with the least amount of care; i'm gonna follow your mixture in post #9 in some, then coco coir in some and still go with mg organic in a couple with my next grow. The ff has a credible rep though and it may be worth the 20-bucks considering that none of the mixed formula's without the worm castings (as the ocean forest has) may be more beneficial to the grow. Idk, I tried it once and it never dried after watering but the same happens with the mg; also i never tested the ph with ff but the mg stays on the 7.5 alkaline side with the mg. i'm curious to compare cause a few mixes; then again it was suggested that the ferts i use, (jack's classic) could be the cause of the higher ph and not the soil.
Anyways, just saying why i would buy the ff again, lol.

Hi mr-natural: for me its to see which soil contributes to the quality of the buds with the least amount of care; i'm gonna follow your mixture in post #9 in some, then coco coir in some and still go with mg organic in a couple with my next grow. The ff has a credible rep though and it may be worth the 20-bucks considering that none of the mixed formula's without the worm castings (as the ocean forest has) may be more beneficial to the grow. Idk, I tried it once and it never dried after watering but the same happens with the mg; also i never tested the ph with ff but the mg stays on the 7.5 alkaline side with the mg. i'm curious to compare cause a few mixes; then again it was suggested that the ferts i use, (jack's classic) could be the cause of the higher ph and not the soil.

The desire to experiment with different mediums and nutes is a good thing. That attitude is going to make you an exceptional gardener. If you want top notch buds with the least amount of care then organic is the way to go. With the right soil mixture all you have to do is water during the grow. So much easier than measuring out liquid nutes.

Even the organic MG has time release ferts. It says on the package "feeds up to 1 month". It's unfortunate that MG soil is taking over most walmarts, lowes, and targets. It's hard to find much else; however, it's worth it to take the time and money and invest in soil that is worth it. ;-)

I'm not sure why everyone is so biased against a little starter nutrient charge.

As long as it's not too strong, it's going to provide a nice boost to small plants that would otherwise be watered less often and with less fertilizer (if using liquids)...

using it for vegging. working great so far

With various opinions around the internet, Maybe MG isn't careful about uniform processing of this product.

That being said, I'm not surprised that at least some people find that it works well because it has almost the exact same formulation as the Fafard Organic potting mix. Maybe not the same sources for ingredients, but similar amounts and I love the Fafard OG.

My 2 cents. DIY. Why buy what you can make yourself?

That's a serious question?

Throughout the history of mankind, the answer is so that time and money spent on mixing the soil or the fertilizers can be spent on something else.

Sure I could drive to possible multiple stores to buy peat, pine bark fines (no, because impossible to find in my part of the country), perlite, etc.

Than expand the peat, mix it all together, measure the pH, add lime, etc.

Or I could drive to one store and buy one bag and be ready to go within minutes...

Not all "companies" are evil and untrustworthy entities that put out bad products.... :thumb:

i have used it it with mixed results the mositure control water logged the organic was ok only water when need to if u start to flush two months in or heavy watering u should b ok i also added an other oragnic soil that i know work an has not one nute just organic compost if wanna say its a nute ok but mg is good in a rush then move to the better tuff the coco loooks to me to be the best choice an seem to price rite on this site sponsers basics it good for some test grows then move on if you want growing is so personal some people can drop a seed in a inch of soil any where an have a foot tall plant in 3 4 weeks

Miracle-Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix

If using the specified MG. It still depends on the manufacture from which it came.

You have a Scotts and a MG Lawn Prod. Inc.

I Scotts is usually the lowes, hd. and walmart carrier, NOT the actual MG manufacture brand.

Thus, different soil

You can view premium organic certified soil on the MSC website.
(mulch and soil council.) - for true certified soil mix's.

Hope this helps.

you should check out my organic mix. FF has may materials in it that are not bio-degradable, that are not organic, that do not help the plant but help with growing. You want things in the soil that help with growing and help the plant both..

what about the seed starting from MG? it is sphagnum peat moss tho. and honestly its really not a soil and its not hydro so where is the soiless mix section.... but hanks for the heads up.

FF ocean Forest drys out to fast for me, too much perlite. So I mix it with FF Happy Frog and it's perfect for my growing conditions, indoors.

Wish I saw this post awhile ago.

Tried MG Organic Choice

MG_Organic.jpg

From Lowes, and after the first watering, it looked like bark mulch. Never again!

Just ordered some FFOF from a local(ish) gardening store, takes 4 days to get here, but no one in my state sells this stuff, & no hydro stores!

Wouldnt mind learning to start with the coco until I transplant to FFOF in the future though..

Back
Top Bottom