Molasses vs lyle black treacle

alex801

Hey all iv never used molases in previous grows probably because iv never seen the product in the uk
After doing a little reding I find it seems the uk alternitive is lyles black treacle.... the link below is the stuff I'm talking about
It says its free from sulpur n addatives ect etc
Realy my question is.... is it the same stuff? And would the dosage be around the same of 1-2 tsp per 5 litre of water?

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=257090354

Many thanks to any replies

alex801,

Good morning from the other side of the pond. I've just begun incorporating a little molasses into my feeding schedule so your question intrigued me. I have no particular expertise that allow me to provide a qualified opinion on the topic, but I was able to locate some information that might prove beneficial. The below info comes from a home brewing sight where the same basic question was being evaluated.

Treacle is the British generic name for any syrup made during the refining of sugar cane. Therefore, theoretically, Treacle, Black Treacle, Molasses, Golden Syrup and Blackstrap are all treacle’s.

In practice however, there is a technical difference between “treacle” and “Molasses” in that molasses is obtained from the drainings of raw sugar during the refining process and treacle is made from the syrup obtained from the sugar

During the refining process, raw sugar cane is first crushed then boiled in stages until it has thickened sufficiently to facilitate the growing of sugar crystals which will eventually become refined sugar. There are two main types of treacle.

Light Treacle better known as Golden Syrup (equivalent = Light Molasses), is made from the syrup obtained during the first boiling of the sugar cane/beets. About 65% sucrose, it is the lightest in colour and the sweetest of all the treacles and is usually unsulphered.

Black Treacle, (equivalent = dark molasses) is made from the syrup obtained from later boilings and is about 55% sucrose.

Golden Syrup has a clear golden color and a sweet, rich, distinctive buttery flavor. It can be used just as it is, spread on bread or poured ice cream or pancakes, but in Britain has always been widely used baked goods and desserts, in particular the famous treacle tart, flapjacks and treacle pudding. It can also be used in many savoury recipes calling for sweetness, in particular sauces and glazes. It can be used as a substitute for corn syrup in most recipes.

Black Treacle has a slightly burnt caramel flavor that is a bit stronger than that of medium molasses. As the name would suggest, it is black (to all intents and purposes). It is most often used in confectionery such as toffee and baked goods such as breads, cakes and biscuits where it lends colour and flavour, but can also be used in savoury recipes such as glazes, sauces and stews or casseroles. It can be used as a substitute in most recipes calling for dark molasses.
In comparing the nutritional information of the molasses I’m using vs. the Treacle I had to first compare the serving size used in analysis. The Molasses used a 15 ml size and the Treacle used 100 g. So the data from the molasses had to be multiplied by 6.666 (repeating decimal) to allow for a direct comparison.

The molasses is slightly higher in Sodium but the difference is negligible .166 vs .1 g
Molasses is also slightly higher in sugars but again minimally so 79 g vs. 64 g for Treacle.

The Treacle appears to contain slightly higher levels of Calcium, Iron with molasses having possible edge in Magnesium. An accurate direct comparison is not possible as the molasses information only appears as a percentage of daily allowance and I have no information on what or who’s “recommended daily allowance” guidelines are being used in the two different nutritional evaluations.

Overall, I would suggest that this Treacle would be an acceptable substitute for an unsulphured molasses and the dosage you suggest would be acceptable. Less would be most certainly be safer than more until your comfortable with this as an additive.

Good Growing and Happy Friday!

Cheers!

Tanr....hello over there were the weather is almost 100% definately better than here.
Thankyou for one of the most detailed and well explained answers iv recived on 420 :)
Iv gone ahead and made up a gallon of feed as 1/2 tsp lyle black treacle to 5litres of water
I'm on about a 5 day watering schedule at the moment and plan on one watering of water/treacle
Then the next 5 day feed my general dutch pro bloom mix/water alternating like that
Plus reps for u friend

alex801,

Happy to weigh in and glad I could confirm your thoughts on proceeding with the Treacle.

I'm sure your correct about the better weather at the moment. I'm in the south central part of the States and will however, shortly be bemoaning the onslaught of 32c+ (90F+) temperatures with relatively high humidity as spring rapidly turns into summer. We'll endure at least a couple weeks of 38c+ (100f) temps as well and the air-conditioning bills that comes with them and I'll be longing for your 20's c then!

Be well, thanks for the reps and have a great weekend!

Over here were lucky to hit the 20s lol maybe have a few weeks at high 20s knocking on the door of 30 then its down hill all the way. Not a bad thing for being a grower indoor though as when we have hot weather I'm longing for the temps to drop so its more ideal for the plants. Its the weeks n weeks n weeks of -2 to +2 that gets me down in our winter time

Understand completely. I grew up in a more northern climate and reached a point in my early 20's where I had just had enough of the cold winters (and gloomy skies that accompany them) and moved south. Almost 30 years later though I find the heat and humidity objectionable and am again looking to make a move to a more temperate climate - never satisfied! LOL

Now to find the location with plenty of sunshine but mild summer and winter temps and affordable living. Oh, and preferably where english is the generally accepted language. That's not too much to ask I think! :laugh:

Be well friend.

I think its the affordable living and english speaking which is the hard part.... just across the water from me is france/northern spain across and hp a bit is holland the house prices and cost of living is half what I'm used to here and temps are more constant but wagesard way way down and obviously english is not the 1st language

Good morning Alex!

Yes, I realize it doesn't translate well in writing but I was being a bit sarcastic. As short as the list of requirements is, I find it fairly difficult to identify a place that meets all of them. Might have to drop the language requirement to find the others. Here's to dreams though!

Used Tate and Lyle's black treacle now for years, to replace overpriced Canna Boost. Works just as well and, at £1.15p a 300gm tin in Sainsbury's, leaves money spent for nutes, etc. If used with Cannazyme, the latter will break down any remaining residues. The crystals on my Pure Power Plants (PPP) were/are amazing and the taste is great. It is "Blackstrap" and contains no harmful sulphur. 10/10 and beats Canna Boost hands down :)

Wow...I never new this, I have seen the black Tate and Lyle stuff around and never thought about it...learn something new everyday!

Tanr....hello over there were the weather is almost 100% definately better than here.
Thankyou for one of the most detailed and well explained answers iv recived on 420 :)
Iv gone ahead and made up a gallon of feed as 1/2 tsp lyle black treacle to 5litres of water
I'm on about a 5 day watering schedule at the moment and plan on one watering of water/treacle
Then the next 5 day feed my general dutch pro bloom mix/water alternating like that
Plus reps for u friend
Used Tate and Lyle's black treacle now for years, to replace overpriced Canna Boost. Works just as well and, at £1.15p a 300gm tin in Sainsbury's, leaves money spent for nutes, etc. If used with Cannazyme, the latter will break down any remaining residues. The crystals on my Pure Power Plants (PPP) were/are amazing and the taste is great. It is "Blackstrap" and contains no harmful sulphur. 10/10 and beats Canna Boost hands down :)
Hi there im at wk 3 of flower and am really interested in tryin the black treacle ive got a jedi kush a mr nice and a white widow could u let me kno if a) im in a window where i will benefit and b) a suggested regime all are in 11l pots in a coco/vermiculite/compost mix sorry to but in but u seem to be quite knowledgable on the subject?

Back
Top Bottom