Moving up from 2x4 tent to 5x5, building spread out QB array vs panels vs COBs?

sativuhhh

Hi all, been trying to figure out where things are at with the qb setups these days, but the tech seems to be changing pretty fast and it's hard to get a clear answer after reading for a few hours.

I currently in my 2x4 tent have it pretty well lit with two quad COB's and one triple COB. I had a good grow with em, added the triple right at the last 2 weeks, wish I had it all of flower! Power draw is ~210w from the wall on all 3 so about 600w real draw total. Heat is super negligible which I really like. The light spread isn't super huge though in flower when I got them dropped close. So now I have a 5x5 flower tent that's taller and opens up a lot more options.

When I got my lights initially cob's were the way to go over blurple, but now there is so much of the qb's that seem to be out there it deserves consideration.

Do the new vs qb's with the samsung 301's have enough red and uv? Would supplementing those in be helpful? The cob's pitch full spectrum.

Next question relates to the layout. Most of the qb's seem to be in tight boards. Looking on alibaba I found a few that spread them out and added in some additional diodes to fill the spectrum.
growlightarray.jpg

Something like this. It would seem that if you built it out over the canopy area you should get really even lighting all thru vs quad board in a square in the center. This seems like a pretty good spread on the 4ft edges. The 2.3umol/J efficiency sounds fantastic.

qbarray-lightspread.jpg

There are a bunch of different ones out there. This lets you power up/down all the different spectrum too as well as dim.

It would seem I could pretty easily get some 301 strips from digikey and mount up to a frame similar to that as well.

Looking at the Meijiu too with all the good things I've read here. Maybe their 480w quad board? Maybe bigger?

So with a 5x5 how would the board arrangement best layout? A quad in the middle or would two rows of three 288 boards be better? I imagine the canopy will be more in a 4x4 section so there is room for fans and stuff inside without crowding.

Or we can go back to some of the cool COB builds with some higher quality cob's than I likely have. The diy cob's all seem to go along with the principle like the above where everyone spaces out their cob's evenly over the canopy vs prebuilt close together units. How are the good cob's these days vs the diode arrays? Seems big power efficiency gains have been made on the qb's, hard to tell if the cob's have continued to improve as well?

I guess there is always some of the other prebuilts too like the new Mars' that have the 2+umol/J efficiency as well that could be looked at too.

I'm not wanting to do a ton of soldering but some diy and wiring up boards is all good. I'd love to keep it <$600 with even less being a great goal. So many of the various reviews and posts are old, and compare even older lights to the 'new' old lights it's hard to track down.

Anyhow, appreciate any thoughts or links to good current related info you've found helpful as well!

Look up @PurpleGunRack's DIY thread. We went through a lot of this about a year ago. @Mayne also built one, I'm currently building one. One conclusion I reached was the the COBs from the different manufacturers cost about the same over their lifetime @ $0.15 per Kwh. You pay up front, or pay the power company over time.

Back
Top Bottom