My clone has no root

teamgilly

i took my first clones about a week ago. they still look green but one of the clones got scraped out of the rockwool and when i inspected it it had no roots at all. is this normal i thougt for sure it would have had some roots

it can take weeks before they start rooting.. in a week or so give them a little tug, if they are grabbing then they are rooting.. if not then you may aswell take a peek and see whats going on down there...some are much harder to clone then others...

maybe a tiny bit and I mean tiny of superthrive, or possibly some clonex...are you misting them, are they in a humid environment? I have terrible luck with rockwool so I went and bought a cloner.... :smokin:

yea i have a hood on it plastic transparrnt and spray them everyday. they look pretty good its just i was suprise that there wasnt any root even starting on tht particulr one

Yeah you have to have patience with clones. Usually after 2 weeks you've got roots. Rockwool is not really very good for cloning unless your doing hydro.
Be sure and use a humidity dome, because clones get all there water from there leaves till they grow roots. So spray them with a spray bottle a couple times a day.

Yeah you have to have patience with clones. Usually after 2 weeks you've got roots. Rockwool is not really very good for cloning unless your doing hydro.
Be sure and use a humidity dome, because clones get all there water from there leaves till they grow roots. So spray them with a spray bottle a couple times a day.
Some misinformation here. Rockwool is as good a medium for cloning as any other medium is.
Cuttings DO NOT get their water from their leaves while forming roots. they get it through the stem like any other cuttings but the uptake is super small due to no roots. Cuttings transpire (sweat) water from their leaves and a humidity dome is recommended to slow the transpiration so that they can uptake as much or more than they transpire out. i don't use humidity domes and I don't spray my cuttings with water either. i cut back their leaves to halfway to slow the transpiration and sit the clone in a cup of water in a window sill till roots form.

Yeah, what he said lol. Cloning is about as difficult as hitting the ground when you jump off a roof. Just ask your grandmother what fancy chemicals and devices she used to root cuttings when she was a girl lol.

Humidity domes can be useful and can speed things up, along with chemicals/ferts. But they can also slow things down and screw them up lol. If you choose to foliar feed, just do it ONCE. Plants are pretty good at not dying if you don't try to use an entire canopy as a cutting lol and it has always seemed to me that the roots formed the fastest... when they needed to.

As for humidity domes, like Racefan said, just stick them in a glass of water if the location is likely to cause the cutting to dry out. There's no way it'll dry out then. Just change the water every two or three days if you think of it. Adding very dilute amounts of a root boosting product / B vitamin probably isn't going to hurt and will likely cause the roots to grow quicker once they start, but it's not really needed.

Years and years (and years lol) ago when I did this kind of stuff I took countless cuttings and I lost exactly TWO of them (the ex-wife's cat ate those). Some did take longer than others and I suppose there might be some strains that are resistant to cloning. But for those there is always air-layering. With that method you can clone ANYTHING and it's already got roots before you ever cut it loose from the mother (which technically means it can't count against your total plant count if that is an issue in your state).

Back
Top Bottom