My First DWC Grow! So Far So Good!

j0hnnyblaze

Hello....I am very new to growing but I have read up on a lot about DWC systems and decided to try and start my own. I got 6 clippings from a friends plant and used some clonex gel and also the clonex solution to spray them once every 2-3 days in the propagator. I previously used rootech, but I did not get 100% success rate.

I purchased these through Amazon

Re: My first DWC grow! so far so good!

So after a week of propagation, I noticed roots coming out of the foam medium. I was very excited to take my plants to the next step of the DWC grow. I purchased 10 gallon tubs and drilled holes into them to host the net baskets. I can go into detail of what I did to cut the tub and such if you guys want to PM me. So for this first tub, I cut out 6 holes and one tiny one to run the air hose to. The 6 baskets will contain the clay rocks and the 6 rooted clones. The lights I am using are from a previous aquarium hobby that consists of 4 t5 lights at 6500k. Some people use the 18 hrs on and 6 hrs off timing, but I decided to go with the 24 hr route. If you have trouble finding affordable lights to use then contact me for info on where I purchased my lights. They work the same for my new hobby since the previous one required lighting for aquatic plants. I plan to leave my plants in this stage for about a week before I do a water change and add more nutrients.

Water: I just used my local tap water

PH: I have my PH at 5.2-5.5 and I really recommend using a digital PH tester as they are more accurate. The tester I am using is a very cheap one that works very well. Purchase one with a temperature gauge too so you can keep an eye on your water. Every water change my water temp is roughly around 69 degrees and during the vegetation stage it reaches up to 72-75 degrees. Remember to try to keep your water cool as possible.

Nutrients: Canna Aqua Vega A and B
How much I used: 6ml/gallon for A and B

Nutrients: Canna Rhizotonic
How much I used: 15ml/gallon

01.jpeg

So the air pump that I am using is a hydrofarm brand with 4 outlets. The pump is good for 15L/min and I have read that each plant should get at least 5L/min, but so far my plants are doing well with this pump. I purchased the 4 outlet one because I knew I would be having a few more tubs going once I got my 6 initial plants up and running.

Here are my babies at the 2nd week. I added a new nutrient from Canna called Cannazym. This product is an enzyme that helps prevent root rot and I feel very strongly about it given my growing conditions. I notice that my water temp rises up and down depending on the time of day.

The clones that I am using are northern lights. I finally got the name from my source that provided them to me. I also picked up another strand, but I will save them for another grow journal depending on he success of this one. Please feel free to add your input and tell me what you think. Again this is my first DWC grow. In fact this is my first grow ever!!

How much I used: 10ml/gallon for A and B

How much I used: 8ml/gallon

Nutrients: Canna Cannazym
How much I used: 10ml/gallon

0-21.jpeg

just curious, why is the mylar or whatever that is so wrinkly. i think it loses effectiveness.

I switched from DWC to ebb and flow because of res temperatures and oxygen depletion...your kids looks great. will be following your journal

I switched from DWC to ebb and flow because of res temperatures and oxygen depletion...your kids looks great. will be following your journal

I have heard that oxygen depletion is also a cause for root rot. I was looking into ebb and flow, but it started getting too complicated for me. For me I think DWC is probably the most straight forward as it can get. I would probably mess up a ebb and flow grow ahahah

So the air pump that I am using is a hydrofarm brand with 4 outlets. The pump is good for 15L/min and I have read that each plant should get at least 5L/min, but so far my plants are doing well with this pump. I purchased the 4 outlet one because I knew I would be having a few more tubs going once I got my 6 initial plants up and running.

Here are my babies at the 2nd week. I added a new nutrient from Canna called Cannazym. This product is an enzyme that helps prevent root rot and I feel very strongly about it given my growing conditions. I notice that my water temp rises up and down depending on the time of day.

The clones that I am using are northern lights. I finally got the name from my source that provided them to me. I also picked up another strand, but I will save them for another grow journal depending on he success of this one. Please feel free to add your input and tell me what you think. Again this is my first DWC grow. In fact this is my first grow ever!!

0-2.jpeg

The following is a picture of the 3rd week of vegetating. Take note that I have taken these photos awhile back and just now started to write up my journal. It is a lot of work and I will try to update it with info up until my current stage. The following amount of nutrients I am using are the same from my #3 post. I also flip flopped the plants around.

0-3.jpeg

All aboard.n job you might want to pull of the dead leaves on your plants. You don't want to attract any unwanted bugs to your setup. Is it me or do your leaves looks so shiny?

The leaves are shiny due to the spray i use to keep white flies and spider mites away. I will take your advice on removing the dead leaves. I did not know that dead leaves attract bugs. thanks for the heads up

this weeks update photo! They increased drastically in size. I did a water change and added the same amount of nutrients here.

0-5.jpeg

Subbed. All looking good JB, do you have a blue truncheon to test you nutrient strength? I recommend getting one, they are a big help. I'm also new to hydro and I dont know what I'd do without one.
I'm interested to see how you get on with this grow, as I'm also using the canna aqua range. Good luck.

Subbed. All looking good JB, do you have a blue truncheon to test you nutrient strength? I recommend getting one, they are a big help. I'm also new to hydro and I dont know what I'd do without one.
I'm interested to see how you get on with this grow, as I'm also using the canna aqua range. Good luck.

i do not have a blue truncheon to test. can you explain more of what it is? I am fixing to upload some more photos of my grow.

I know it has been awhile since I posted but here we go at it again. I decided to be cheap and build a wooden "cabinet" to house my grow instead of getting a tent. Boy was that a mistake.....Here are the latest photos of my babies with the following nutrients used. The latest nutrient added was the Canna Boost and it sure does make a difference. The following plants on the left are at 4 weeks old and I started a new set on the right. The new babies got trampled on by my dog so I am trying to salvage what I can from it.

150.jpeg

1-11.jpeg

Nutrients: Canna Canna Boost

5th week photo update. I think the Canna Boost increased the growth of the plants. Look at how much more it grew towards the light!! I'm pretty excited as I will be putting the ones on the left into flowering soon.

1-21.jpeg

So I decided that it was time to flower my babies and below are some photos from week 6 and 7. The light setup that I am using is a 400 watt high pressure sodium light that can be purchased at Amazon:

It is one of the cheapest light setups that I have seen around and it has been working great!

1-41.jpeg

1-31.jpeg

1-51.jpeg

1-6.jpeg

Nutrients for this week

Nutrients: Canna Canna Boost