My First Grow: Blueberry Indica From Seed, 2018

OdoShortwick

420 Member
Hey :420:
This is my first time growing and first grow journal.

Crop Kings Seed Blueberry 75% Indica Regular.
Growing indoors with natural sunlight, no grow lights.
Using Vigoro Organics Organic Garden Soil 0.08-0.05-0.08.
IMG_20180114_224106.jpg

I originally started my seeds January 9th however my first two seeds didn't turn out. Following the instructions given by CKS, I soaked them in spring water (ph ~6.5) for about 14 hrs then put them on a thick pile of wet paper towels with a single layer covering. My bathroom has no window and is warm so I kept them on a plate in there with the fan going. I made sure that the seeds were regularly sprayed and the paper towel kept moist. After splitting their casing neither seed progressed and eventually turned black on the inside.

MVIMG_20180109_182648.jpg

MVIMG_20180109_212635.jpg

MVIMG_20180114_224812.jpg

I received some tips from @Torst and @MrMedic , then changed how I was germinating my seeds.

I started on my last three seeds on Jan 19th, 2018.

I have an old laptop that I set-up so that its always on and the screen if off. I set this up in the bathroom with a bunch of different apps open (and wireless turned off) which will cause the processor to be under load, and create heat. I then put the plate with wet paper towels on the keyboard allowing the heat from the laptop to warm the seeds. I then put 1 cup of the spring water into a measuring cup with a length of butchers string running from it, under the seeds on the paper towel. The string is natural (unbleached) cotton and chemical free so there is no worry about chemical contamination. It slowly wicks the water from the measuring cup to the paper towel.

MVIMG_20180122_105117.jpg

As of today all three seeds have split and germinated.

MVIMG_20180122_105108.jpg

How are your seedlings doing? I got a pack of these seeds this past year, just haven't gotten around to growing any yet.

A quick update. It's been a couple of weeks. The weather here has been terrible and we've had hardly any sun, which caused the plants to stretch. I decided to go ahead and set up a lamp over the plants with a grow bulb I had. Unfortunately it blew after a couple of days and I wasn't able to get another bulb for about a week.
Feb 2nd. Just after my first bulb blew.
MVIMG_20180202_080442.jpg

Feb 7th. New grow bulb
MVIMG_20180210_111003.jpg

Feb 14th. You can see how much the plants have grown in the week of having them under the grow bulb. It's a 75w spot style bulb sitting about 10inches off the plants and on 24hrs. I also have a fan blowing towards them so it keeps them cool and the constant motion caused by the fan helps strengthen their stems.
MVIMG_20180214_200828.jpg

It may be hard to tell from the image, but they have a single and triple leaf stems and their first five leaf stem is coming up. Once that happens they ate officially in the vegatative stage and I'll put the lamp on a timer for 18/6.

grow bulb. It's a 75w spot style bulb sitting about 10inches off the plants and on 24hrs.

Is that an incandescent bulb? If so, you'll be FAR better off using a couple of low-wattage (~23-watt) CFL bulbs, instead (even if the manufacturer calls that one a "plant bulb"). Incandescent light bulbs produce a lot of heat - but not much light. Of the small percentage of an incandescent bulb's output that is light, only a small percentage of that is in the range that plants can actually use.

Additionally, with the small CFL bulbs, you are able to position them an inch or so away from your plants(' leaves), which allows them to receive much more of their admittedly low output, whereas at 10" away, your seedlings aren't really getting much of the small amount of light that the 75-watt bulb is producing. And placing it an inch away would likely cook the seedlings, lol.

With artificial lights, there's a thing called the inverse square law. When you double the distance to the light source, you end up with a quarter of the light, instead of half.

Hope all is well in your world.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom