My first grow in a wardrobe

Greendream

Hi guys,

I have been reading up the last few weeks about growing. Im not sure that Im proud of it, but it has become quite an obsession. So I finally decided I want to start my first grow in a wardrobe. I live in a pretty small apartment so I don't have that much room.

DrTentgrows 600w Wardrobe Grow - Power Plant

The thread above inspired me because of the clean setup and also because the size of the wardrobe is about the same as the one I am planning on using.

I have a few questions though:

1. It seems like he only has an air outlet and no intake. Shouldn't this basically suck out most of the air and leave the inside with low levels of co2 etc? Probably a really stupid question. Also, what would it be like to blow the exhaust straight out into the room where i am living? I don't really have an option to direct the air outside.

2. Would it be possible to use the same wardrobe for all of the stages from seed to harvest? I would ofcourse have to change the lighting and environment around depending on the stage Since Im starting out from scratch I dont have motherplants or the option to get clones.

3. What is the black device standing in between the two pots? Is it a carbon filter? (NOT MY PHOTO)
31058.JPG

4. And finally, the shop where I will be buying most of the equipment is this: Professional Grow (not sure about the rules for posting links like this, please remove it if you have to). If someone could take the time and give me some tips on what hardware to get from there, that would be greatly appreciated. As i said before I am looking at a wardrobe with about the same dimensions as the link I posted and I would like to about the same quality stuff he is using.

Im really itching to get this ball rolling. Im sure it will be a blast even though I am keeping my expectations very low for my first grow!

from what ive read so far which is all of Skooterclowns threads, here are my answers for you.

1. should have two holes in the wardrobe one at the top to take the hot air and smell out and one at the bottom with just a fan on it to let air in, when i say fan i mean a stand alone with no power, thats my guess from what ive read.

2. you could use the same space for everything just need to adjust the light timing and the amount of light used etc.

3. the black device is a tower fan. keeps bugs off, circulates air and makes stems stronger.

4. im currently in the middle of making a giant list of hardware i need to buy also. the best you can get is CFL high wattage spiral bulbs they give amazing results, you need an exhaust fan to take out the hot air and smell with a carbon filter on the end to mask the smell else your guests/mrs/family will notice it as soon as they start to grow on abit. also should use 'mylar' as a reflective surface on the walls instead of white cloth as its 5x better, you also need an air pump to get O2 into the water if your doing a hydro system. a little fan inside the wardrobe to will help just like the tower in the photo, although a normal fan would do as long as it faces the plants. probably alot more stuff ive missed out but im tired so yeah :)

Thanks for your replies guys! Greatly appreciated.

Now another main concern of mine after learning some more about how the setup above works is finding a good way to build 2 air-intakes with some kind of light traps. Im not sure what the guy in the picture is using. I saw a few other pictures with people were using darkroom louvers, but they dont seem optimal for a few different reasons. They seem to have pretty limited airflow, unless you get the really big ones. They are expensive. They are not easy to find where I live.

Here is a list of things I am thinking of buying, but I would love some critisism.

1. 200w CFL with reflector for (sprout+veg period?) Is this an alternative for a MH during the veg?

2. 400w ETI magnetic ballast

3. 400w HPS Bulb with 125mm cooltube (for flowering period)

4. Ventilation: 125mm fan 260m3 / h + carbon filter 360m3 (should this be enough for a 100cm wide, 60cm deep, 200cm high wardrobe?)

from what ive read some people use LED lights for sprouting and then CFL's for the rest. im not totally sure though have a look at this thread: Growing with CFLs in very limited space

its the setup im going to be following + it tells you all about it :)

im currently building my grow room miles away from my house and will be using a generator ;)

Those black things you can see at the bottom are these.
TimlocTelescopicUnderfloor.jpg

They keep the light out but still allow the air to be pulled through, i have no seperate extractor fan for intake as i did in my white widow grow but my intake fan is massivly over kill for that small wardrobe (150mm 720 m2h) so those vents pull through big amounts of air through the bottom and with my fan speed controller it can give me some kind of temp control, that's a small tower fan sitting on top of a upside down pot.

Greandream, if you need any to know any thing else i'm more then happy to help! i can tell you exactly what nutrients i use how to water ect... and can help you every step of the way to ensure you get simular results

Greandream, if you need any to know any thing else i'm more then happy to help! i can tell you exactly what nutrients i use how to water ect... and can help you every step of the way to ensure you get simular results

Thanks alot for your reply DrTent! I really like your clean setups, both the previous tent-grow and your current closet-grow.

What are those intakes called that you use in your closet? What kind of store did you get them at?

I just got the closet I will be using for the grow. It is 100x60x200cm (100 wide, 60 deep, 200 high) or 40x23x79 inches. Should a 125mm fan 260m3/h + carbon filter 360m3/h be enough for this space with similar intakes as you are using?

Also i can't decide on the lighting. First i was thinking of going with 600w hps, but then i read you thought that was overkill for your closet. So now I am thinking 400w hps for flower. For veg i am thinking 250w mh, blue spectrum.

The alternative is 600w hps and 400w mh, do you think this would be overkill? I will be most likely be using this air-cooled reflector: Professional Grow - Air Cooled reflektor Spudnik

If i remember right i think you said you used the canna line for nuts? I have access to this where i live: Professional Grow - Canna nutrients kit Soil

As for medium I have not really decided yet. I dont have access to alot of different kinds here, so i am leaning towards this: Professional Grow - Gold Label, Special Mix soil 50L or this Professional Grow - Gold Label, Special Mix coco 50L

How long did you veg for in your current closet grow? Since I am starting out from scratch I will have to germinate seeds and all that.

I can't PM you because of my low postcount, so this will have to be my way of communicating with you.

Best regards,
Greendream

Those intakes are called telescopic underfloor vents, obviously you will need to cut holes out for them in your wardrobe, as for where to get them from i could'nt name a particular store as i am from a different country to you but any good building supplier should stock them, also it's a good idea to cover the part of the vent that is on the outside of the wardrobe with a fine mesh to stop dust and bugs getting in.

260m3/h would be enough for air exchange but i think you would need to be looking at a bigger extractor to cool that light down! a 400 can get hot when in a confined space, also if noise is a issue it's better to run a bigger fan at lower speeds. When getting a carbon filter I think it's best to closely match the air flow rating of your extractor fan.

As for lighting if you are growing from start to finish in one area then I would recommend a digital dimmable ballast these things are really good as they will run 250w Mh bulbs for veg and a 400w HPS for flowering also it has a super lumen switch that can run a standard 400w bulb at 440w! and yes 600w would be over kill and you would have problems with heat in that little space.

This is the ballast i have 400W Maxibright Digilight Pro Dimmable Digital Ballast - 24hr del service | eBay

That air cooled hood is very good those types are the best you can get however with the exception of the size area you have, people say the cooltube type hoods like the one i'm using in my wardrobe are good but are inefficient at throwing light very far on either side which in my opinion makes them perfect for wardrobes or simular sized areas as they dont need too! and you will get better air flow through a cool tube also they are about half the price.

Yes use canna nutes if possible, do you have access to canna terra pro plus soil? it's second to none! expensive but worth the money, will you be using tap water?

I think i vegged for about 6 weeks i regard vegging to start when the seedling starts to grow rapidly (about 3-4 weeks from germination)

Feel free to ask me as much as you like, i'm very happy to help! and am looking forward to your grow.

Feel free to ask me as much as you like, i'm very happy to help! and am looking forward to your grow.

Thanks again for answering some of my questions! I already thought of getting a digital dimmable ballast.

As of now it seems like i will use a 250w mh for grow and a 400(440)w hps for flower. What you say about using a bigger fan for noise-reduction makes alot of sense. I will look into that.

As for the air-intakes it is not easy to translate into something I can ask for in a store. So i guess i will have to bring the picture there and ask for something similar.

I might be able to get some canna terra soil, but i will have to get it shipped internationally for about double the price. Not sure if that is worth it.

Il get back with an update once i've done some more research today.

I have now placed an order for most of the stuff I will be needing to set my wardrobe up. This is going to be fuun!

I decided to get:

*A 365m3/h fan with digital control where you can set it adjust its strength to fit a certain temperature.

*250w MH bulb, 400w hps bulb, 2, 75w flo's for the seedlings.

*A dimmable digital ballast like the one you are using.

And abunch of other stuff.

Now i just have to figure out the best way to get a hold of some Canna terra pro soil.

Yes, i will probably be using tap-water. Which means that I should keep it in a bucket for a while before i use it and maybe also get one of those air-stones you are using?

I really appreciate you taking the time DrTent, and you others also ofcourse. Thanks guys.

Looks like you are putting together a nice little system! does the thermostatic fan speed controller you ordered have a probe on the end of a wire? (so you can place it at canopy level) could you send me a link to it please?

Yes definitely get a pump and air stone for your reservoir, roots love oxygen and it will speed up the process
of chlorine evaporating they don't cost too much either. maybe even think about a small tank heater aswell?

i'm sure there are other soils available to you that are perfectly good and if you like i can research the options you have and help you pick the best one, althou if you could get hold of some canna terra pro plus it would be ideal because if we get our setups as simular as possible the better i can help you along the way and you can use my experience to ensure you get good results first time round.

Do you have access to these? Root Riot? Organic Plant Starter Cubes
They are amazing for starting seeds in, how much plants are you planning on growing? any idea on what seeds/strain you want?

If you want me to i can help you every step of the way through your grow, it will be a pleasure to help! and i can sense your keeness/excitment for your first grow :)

Yes, I do have access to Root riot plant starter cubes. I will make sure to get some. I was actually just thinking about what medium to use for the seeds.

I think I will get the canna terra soil eventhough i have to pay more for the delivery then the actual soil hehe. It should be best to use that soil if i am using their nuts.

Yes, the fan does have an external sensor on a 4 meter coord.

Im still not sure what strain to go with. I would be glad to hear your recommendations.

On another note, have you seen this? Pretty amazing plants for that small space.

Weed Growing Closet - 1 Week from Harvest! Growing Marijuana Indoors! - YouTube

Ideally I want to have as few plants as possible, but still get a good yield. So I am thinking 2.

I just realized you dont have a carbon filter in your wardrobe DrTent. I will need one for sure. What is the best setup for using a carbon filter with your kind of setup with passive intakes?

Also, i decided to skip the canna terra soil because of the really high cost of getting it and also I don't want to have anything pass through customs that comes from a grow shop.

So instead now Im pretty set on using coco in this form: Home | CANNA Gardening CANADA and the recommended canna nutriants for it.

Im a little bit confused about ventilation in general though. For example in the youtube video above it looks like the only ventilation he has is ducting going IN and OUT of the reflecting hood. How does he get fresh air into and out of the actual closet?

Hello again, yeah i have seen that video before they look like nice plants althou not really my style of growing i would prefer the canopy to be more even and those pots look a little on the small side and i can't see why he didn't grow those to plants side by side rather then one in front of the other, any way i'm just nitpicking they look good and i'm sure he knows what he is doing.

Strain recommendations hmm... i would recomend that you go for a strain that is mostly indica with a little sativa, indica's are generally easier to grow and are short quat plants so you wont have to worry too much about keeping the height down.
Have you thought about where you will get seeds from? or if you are going to get feminized seeds? i have always used feminized seeds from dutch passion and have had 100% germination rates! they are a bit pricey but well worth the money!
Dutch Passion

I have a carbon filter waiting to go in when i need it, they do have a bit of a whiff about them at the moment but not too much to worry about, nothing i can smell around the house or outside but yeah if they do become a problem i will put the filter in.

What ever growing medium you go for i would highly reccomend getting some garden lime (Dolomite lime) to mix in with, it will help buffer/stabilize the ph of the medium. You should be able to find it in any garden shop be sure to get the finest you can.

I'm not really too sure how that guys ventilation is set up it's difficult to tell from the video, don't worry too much about ventilation with your 365m3/h extractor fan in that small space with good size passive intakes in the bottom it will be more then enough!
any chance you could take some pictures of your growing area?

How did you get on trying to find those telescopic vents?

Look forward to hearing from you again, DrTent

Hi DrTent! I just came back from a shopping-spree at a general hardware store. I tried to find the kind of intakes you use, but there was nothing like it. So i just got 4 pieces of 90° pvc drain pipes 75mm wide. I will put them together 2 and 2, so there will be 2 intake holes. That should keep the light out.

I am actually just about to assemble the wardrobe. It is still in pieces. Will get you a photo as soon as I have set it up.

I will probably get the same strain as you are using now. Power plant from DP. Im still not sure how to build/where to put, the "seedling area" in my wardrobe. It is 2 meters high in total so I should be able to fit it in somewhere though.

So when/if you put the carbon filter in, where will you put it? It will hardly fit inside the wardrobe. So I am guessing you will have to push air through it on the outside of the wardrobe?

As usual, thanks for your reply!

Hello Greandream, yeah powerplant is a nice strain it's mostly sativa so you will have to top and lst them alot to keep the height down turning them in to more of a bush then a tree also i find sativas to take a little bit longer to show pre flowers but that isn't much of a problem.

What do you mean "seedling area" do you want to be growing seedlings whilst you have seperate plants in veg?

I have a short wide carbon filter which will just fit in at the top of the wardrobe, there is no way of using a carbon filter out side of a grow area it needs to be inside, air has to be sucked through the filter not blown through

With "seedling area" I actually meant clone area. I was pretty tired when I wrote it and all these terms are still pretty new for me.

I finally put together the wardrobe. Tomorrow I am going to try to install the air-intakes.

So you are going to have a setup in this order if you use your carbon filter? (air flow in the same way as the arrows): Cooltube->ducting->carbon filter->directly into fan

On another note I actually read about alot of people "pushing" air through carbon filters installed outside of the grow area, and apparently it works fine eventhough they are not actually meant for that.

So you are wanting to grow in two seperate area's at the same time? if so i would recommend building a little box of some kind for clones as you will need all the space of your wardrobe. when do you plan on taking clones? don't forget that if you take a clone from a plant in flower you have to revert back to veg which is a pain and takes time and if you take it before the plant is in flower it means you will have to grow the clone for at least 2 months waitng for your other plants to finish flowering.

If you look at the 1st picture on this thread of my grow, the side of the cool tube with no ducting is where the air is being sucked from the room all i will do when i fit the carbon filter is attach a piece of ducting on the empty side of the cool tube and join it to the filter.

I could see how pushing air through the filter could work but it makes it difficult to vent the air out side.

Back
Top Bottom