Newbie - Random assortment of questions for first grow in 2"x2"

NorthernHigh

First of all, Hi :D

My 2nd post (my first went to the Mars-Hydro thread with a few questions for Sara) but long time lurker and hopefully will be quite active here if time allows. Now these are quite a lot of questions and text but I've read up on this but would like your input never the less and I am most grateful for it :Namaste:

The setup:
I am thinking about buying a wardrobe which in my country is a standard of 60x60x210 (in cm, the depth and width are always the same but the height may vary depending on what I get my hands on) which is around 2ftx2ftx6ft10.68in. I can modify it but my main criterias are:
* stealth (I live in a small apartment so it should still look like a wardrobe although perhaps with a lock),
* smell (I want it to be odourless but I understand that when I open it up during the flower phase it will smell) * noise (fan-noise etc. should be as little as possible).
if possible: as easy to setup as possible, as few parts as possible

I can make modifications to the wardrobe since I will buy it so I could drill holes on the side that wouldn't be as noticeable as drilling a hole in the door etc. I am of course on a budget and was thinking around €300 to a max of €400 or so for EVERYTHING i.e. soil, nutrients, lamps, tent, the works. Although seeds are not included in that budget.

As medium people seem to recommend soil for a beginner so I haven't really thought much about hydro, once again, as noob-friendly as possible.

1) Should I grow or not?
I recently discovered the beauty of marijuana and use it a few times a week often before bedtime to wind down or just when I want to relax and watch a movie or play games. I use a vaporizer (MFLB) and a trench (i.e. when I fill it up) requires a very small amount of fine ground weed and a trench lasts me around 2 days with good effect. The reason I would like to grow is that around 5 grams which is 0.17 ounces costs around €40-€50 and its just what that guy has for the moment, you can forget about picking strains etc. So what I see as the advantages:
- Less contact with criminal elements and I won't support the black market and criminal activities
- Being able to cultivate the strains I want with the effect I want
- Cheaper in the long run
- Therapy of cultivating the plants (Hey, it looks fun to grow something)
Disadvantages:
- Will generate a ton of more weed then I currently use (might use it more often then I do now in the near future)
- Getting arrested will probably automatically be for "intent to distribute" rather then "possession" and carries a higher penalty
- Since I won't sell it (which I won't) I'm guessing it might go bad even if I store it in C-vaults (which are air-tight and light-tight and controls humidity to 62%)? If a lot of "product" would go bad before I can smoke it it would be pointless?

I am often stressed and anxious and I have found out that a few puffs helps me and I am really looking to try a sativa to get me more energized to daily tasks and work since I also feel depressed especially in winter. None of these are I'm guessing "serious" in so far as I eat regular "bad" drugs that are pharmaceuticals, I don't.

2) The growtent
I've been looking into quite a few growtents and since quite a few are 60x60x various height they would fit perfectly in the aformentioned soon-to-be closet (it might be a fine squeeze though since the wardrobe is 60x60xY? :)
Now I am guessing that instead of just growing in the wardrobe without a growtent (by lining the walls of the wardrobe with mylar) the growtent also reduces smell? The plants are in the tent which in turn is in a wardrobe?
The wardrobes door is going to be closed so I'm guessing that I will need to cut holes in the side of the wardrobe and put metal grates over it to ensure that light won't leak in (and that the air will circulate)?
If the door is closed even though I have fans in the growtent then the air will just be stale and it will be a hotbox rather then a growtent ;)

Now since I want to grow sativas as well I'm guessing I have no choice to go for a tent that is below 160cm in height? I was keen on MarsHydro's own tent which is 27''x27''x63'' but that translates to around 70x70x160cm and I don't have those 10cm extra both in depth and height :(

The other one I have been been thinking about is:
Dark Street II DS60 - 60x60x150 Secret Jardin

I have not seen a tent that has my required dimensions (60x60cm) and a height of more then 150cm at a cheaper price. Mammoth has one that is 160cm in height but is around €30-40 more expensive then the DS60 for "just" an additional 10cm in height.

Any suggestions?

3) The strains
Since I've been watching A LOT of 420 documentaries and read a bit on Leafly I have settled on my first two strains, keep in mind I am a newbie:
Blue Dream (indica hybrid), 100-180cm (!) in height; this for calming and relaxing effect
Sour Diesel (sativa),180-220cm (!) in height; this for uplifting and energizing effect

Although these will be to tall to grow in a growtent of a max of 150-160cm, I'm guessing people who grow them use taller tents or perhaps use SCROG if it shortens the plants?

Do you have any recommendations of easy strains for a newbie but still with "totally opposite" effects i.e. one to make you mellow and calmed down and one to give you energy and be creative?

4) HPS vs LED

Currently a 2x 400W HPS w. Cooltube goes for around €90 and I have been looking at the Mars II 400W LED which goes for around €178 on Ebay, converted from USD to EUR (hopefully Sara can get me a good price here).
The 400W LED seems to translate to a 250W HPS so the comparison above is a bit misleading but guessing that in a 60x60x150-160cm (or taller if I can find a growtent) 250 HPS or a 400W LED will suffice for 2 plants? Guessing I could grow a maximum of 4 plants but then again, I need to be able to use the product haha.

The LED is more then twice the amount of the HPS (and an even more powerful HPS at that) but my appeal for the LED is that is one contained unit, it lasts longer and gives of a lot less heat and uses less power. I'm thinking that the fan and carbon filter I use can be slower then as opposed to an HPS and therefore be quieter and stealthier?

Or should I just go with the HPS-route? It's a lot less money and I might even be fine with a 250W HPS without cooltube.

5) Suggestions
Any of your suggestions of something I haven't thought of are most welcome, I'm going to post some of my thoughts of "packages" that I am thinking of. I would really prefer it if you come with suggestions that the store is in the EU or perhaps even in Sweden in order to not having to deal with customs and tax.

Complete package incl. "all inclusive package" (soil etc.) 400W HPS Cooltube, 415EUR:
Professional Grow - Mammoth PRO 60 package, Cooltube HPS 400w

I have also been looking into Hydroponics Europe Grow Shop which seems to have good prices and have a few ideas of a kit but I would love to get some feedback first.

Cheers! ^^

Can't seem to edit the above post, guess that you can't after a certain time has gone by.

I found this growtent instead: Secret Jardin DR60 II 60x60x170cm
Price incl. S&H is 108 to me which is a good price and the tallest 60x60 tent I have found, also for a real good price.

Think I'm going with that one, quality and vents looks fine too.
Although you guys might help me with something, how do I setup the ventilation?
The tent seems to have 2x 150mm for intraction and 1x 150mm for extraction but since its similar to a sleeping bag cover (sorry my english fails me here, you know where you have a plastic "knob" and string where you can just zip it closed?) I'm guessing you can use 125mm or even 100mm tubing and fans as well, you simply "close" the vent tighter around the tubing?

Eh, if you look at the glorious picture above (mad skills in Paint) then you hopefully get my idea.

Since I would run the tubing directly to a cut hole with a grate / grill it will hopefully ensure that air is directly drawn inside the tent and exhausted outside the wardrobe without any fresh or stale air getting left in the wardrobe. The tubing would in theory make a "seal" from the grate, through the tent and then to the fan, bypassing the wardrobe all together.

I was thinking of using 2x SILENCED FAN BLAUBERG BI-TURBO 12,5CM - 280M³/H, I can't get any specs of these but they seem to run at two speeds and "silenced" sounds really good. I will try and get the specs before ordering and deciding though.

The thing is, should the air intraction fan just lie on the bottom of the tent (see my picture)?
Should I connect tubing after the intraction fan which I haven't done in the picture?

Sorry for adding new replies to this thread but actually found this:
PLATINIUM HYDROPONIC SYSTEM - HYDROPRO 60 - 4 POTS 11L

This seems to be the exact dimensions of "my" tent (60x60x38), the Secret Jardin DR60 II which is 60x60x170.
The question is if it would be a tight squeeze? It will occupy all the floorspace so the inline fan will rest at the middle of the two pots on the right or left depending on how I place it.

Anyway how I see it now in a 60x60x210 space (closet/wardrobe):
1x Mars II 400W LED Full-Spectrum (Sara got back to me, going to see if I get a good price but I'm certain of it :D)
1x Secret Jardin DS60 II (60x60x170)
2x SILENCED FAN BLAUBERG BI-TURBO 12,5CM - 280M³/H w. tubing (1x for air intake, 1x for air extraction)
1x CARBON FILTER 12,5CM (300M3/H) (for air extraction)
1x PLATINIUM HYDROPONIC SYSTEM - HYDROPRO 60 - 4 POTS 11L
1x ULTRA SILENT CLIP FAN - Ø 15CM
2x 12,5CM grills / grate to cover the holes cut out in the wardrobe

I'm guessing I need:
- "Medium" (what I call "pellets")
- Hydrometer / Thermometer
- Nutrients
- Seeds
- Possibly smaller pots since the smaller plants will be to small for the included 11L pots?
- Possibly an ozone generator to lessen / hide the smell even more

Seem to be getting there anyways ^^

First of all, Hi :D

My 2nd post (my first went to the Mars-Hydro thread with a few questions for Sara) but long time lurker and hopefully will be quite active here if time allows. Now these are quite a lot of questions and text but I've read up on this but would like your input never the less and I am most grateful for it :Namaste:

The setup:
I am thinking about buying a wardrobe which in my country is a standard of 60x60x210 (in cm, the depth and width are always the same but the height may vary depending on what I get my hands on) which is around 2ftx2ftx6ft10.68in. I can modify it but my main criterias are:
* stealth (I live in a small apartment so it should still look like a wardrobe although perhaps with a lock),
* smell (I want it to be odourless but I understand that when I open it up during the flower phase it will smell) * noise (fan-noise etc. should be as little as possible).
if possible: as easy to setup as possible, as few parts as possible

I can make modifications to the wardrobe since I will buy it so I could drill holes on the side that wouldn't be as noticeable as drilling a hole in the door etc. I am of course on a budget and was thinking around 300 to a max of 400 or so for EVERYTHING i.e. soil, nutrients, lamps, tent, the works. Although seeds are not included in that budget.

As medium people seem to recommend soil for a beginner so I haven't really thought much about hydro, once again, as noob-friendly as possible.

1) Should I grow or not?
I recently discovered the beauty of marijuana and use it a few times a week often before bedtime to wind down or just when I want to relax and watch a movie or play games. I use a vaporizer (MFLB) and a trench (i.e. when I fill it up) requires a very small amount of fine ground weed and a trench lasts me around 2 days with good effect. The reason I would like to grow is that around 5 grams which is 0.17 ounces costs around 40-50 and its just what that guy has for the moment, you can forget about picking strains etc. So what I see as the advantages:
- Less contact with criminal elements and I won't support the black market and criminal activities
- Being able to cultivate the strains I want with the effect I want
- Cheaper in the long run
- Therapy of cultivating the plants (Hey, it looks fun to grow something)
Disadvantages:
- Will generate a ton of more weed then I currently use (might use it more often then I do now in the near future)
- Getting arrested will probably automatically be for "intent to distribute" rather then "possession" and carries a higher penalty
- Since I won't sell it (which I won't) I'm guessing it might go bad even if I store it in C-vaults (which are air-tight and light-tight and controls humidity to 62%)? If a lot of "product" would go bad before I can smoke it it would be pointless?

I am often stressed and anxious and I have found out that a few puffs helps me and I am really looking to try a sativa to get me more energized to daily tasks and work since I also feel depressed especially in winter. None of these are I'm guessing "serious" in so far as I eat regular "bad" drugs that are pharmaceuticals, I don't.

2) The growtent
I've been looking into quite a few growtents and since quite a few are 60x60x various height they would fit perfectly in the aformentioned soon-to-be closet (it might be a fine squeeze though since the wardrobe is 60x60xY? :)
Now I am guessing that instead of just growing in the wardrobe without a growtent (by lining the walls of the wardrobe with mylar) the growtent also reduces smell? The plants are in the tent which in turn is in a wardrobe?
The wardrobes door is going to be closed so I'm guessing that I will need to cut holes in the side of the wardrobe and put metal grates over it to ensure that light won't leak in (and that the air will circulate)?
If the door is closed even though I have fans in the growtent then the air will just be stale and it will be a hotbox rather then a growtent ;)

Now since I want to grow sativas as well I'm guessing I have no choice to go for a tent that is below 160cm in height? I was keen on MarsHydro's own tent which is 27''x27''x63'' but that translates to around 70x70x160cm and I don't have those 10cm extra both in depth and height :(

MarsHydro 27x27x63
The other one I have been been thinking about is:
Dark Street II DS60 - 60x60x150 Secret Jardin

I have not seen a tent that has my required dimensions (60x60cm) and a height of more then 150cm at a cheaper price. Mammoth has one that is 160cm in height but is around €30-40 more expensive then the DS60 for "just" an additional 10cm in height.

Any suggestions?

3) The strains
Since I've been watching A LOT of 420 documentaries and read a bit on Leafly I have settled on my first two strains, keep in mind I am a newbie:
Blue Dream (indica hybrid), 100-180cm (!) in height; this for calming and relaxing effect
Sour Diesel (sativa),180-220cm (!) in height; this for uplifting and energizing effect

Although these will be to tall to grow in a growtent of a max of 150-160cm, I'm guessing people who grow them use taller tents or perhaps use SCROG if it shortens the plants?

Do you have any recommendations of easy strains for a newbie but still with "totally opposite" effects i.e. one to make you mellow and calmed down and one to give you energy and be creative?

4) HPS vs LED

Currently a 2x 400W HPS w. Cooltube goes for around 90 and I have been looking at the Mars II 400W LED which goes for around 178 on Ebay, converted from USD to EUR (hopefully Sara can get me a good price here).
The 400W LED seems to translate to a 250W HPS so the comparison above is a bit misleading but guessing that in a 60x60x150-160cm (or taller if I can find a growtent) 250 HPS or a 400W LED will suffice for 2 plants? Guessing I could grow a maximum of 4 plants but then again, I need to be able to use the product haha.

The LED is more then twice the amount of the HPS (and an even more powerful HPS at that) but my appeal for the LED is that is one contained unit, it lasts longer and gives of a lot less heat and uses less power. I'm thinking that the fan and carbon filter I use can be slower then as opposed to an HPS and therefore be quieter and stealthier?

Or should I just go with the HPS-route? It's a lot less money and I might even be fine with a 250W HPS without cooltube.

5) Suggestions
Any of your suggestions of something I haven't thought of are most welcome, I'm going to post some of my thoughts of "packages" that I am thinking of. I would really prefer it if you come with suggestions that the store is in the EU or perhaps even in Sweden in order to not having to deal with customs and tax.

Complete package incl. "all inclusive package" (soil etc.) 400W HPS Cooltube, 415EUR:
Professional Grow - Mammoth PRO 60 package, Cooltube HPS 400w

I have also been looking into Hydroponics Europe Grow Shop which seems to have good prices and have a few ideas of a kit but I would love to get some feedback first.

Cheers! ^^
Go with led man hps gets way to hot for small tents led stays cool cost less to Run

Back
Top Bottom