My First Grow

Hi
Sorry for being away.
Look at the difference in the plants, and think what you have done differently with the blue big plastic one and the rest.

Does it have more perlite= healthier roots?
further away from heat or light?
Less watering and less feeding?

Do check for bugs too in the soil.

Did you get the fertilizers ( I never heard the end of the "sending it to you" story :) )

Hisoka:

Just wanted to chime in.

One thing I try to remember when growing any plant is they are machines. Little bio-machines that are much more similar to your car than your cat.

However, we tend to personify our green friends and we "grow emotionally" and fall in love. I'm totally that way. I'm sure you may be feeling a range of emotions regarding the status of your plants and I want to tell you, for a first grow effort IMHO you are doing fine and it will only get better.

You seem eager to learn and in case you are feeling a little challenged don't worry, just keep rockin' on and every generation will get easier and more predictable.

A couple questions...

-Where did your soil originate? Did you buy it new in bags at a grow shop? If you're going to grow in soil, what you start with pretty much decides whether you will have 20 weeks of fun or 20 weeks of hell. If you start with great soil made for growing cannabis and containing no nasty little friends you avoid 90% of all problems. The soil in your blue container looks like you bought it but I can't tell. But it's important to know if you even use a cup of 'outdoor' soil, you bring in a world of major issues and problems that will never go away.

-I see an air conditioner and a fan. Seems really close to your plants. Is that AC running regularly? Any fans should blow across your plants but not directly on them. Yes the air movement in the grow space is important and keeps molds and pests down somewhat, and strengthens stems, but less is more and I have found a fan blowing a little too forcefully on the leaves will actually diminish growth and make the leaves do weird stuff.

Just wanted to say keep it going mate. Cheers!

Peace, Hyena

Hi
Sorry for being away.
Look at the difference in the plants, and think what you have done differently with the blue big plastic one and the rest.

Does it have more perlite= healthier roots?
further away from heat or light?
Less watering and less feeding?

Do check for bugs too in the soil.

Did you get the fertilizers ( I never heard the end of the "sending it to you" story :) )
Im pretty sure the one in the blue is when he ran out of soil. He took soil from outside and baked it in the oven to sterilize it...(you remember how small it use to be)

anything that occurs in nature cannot be unnatural!

HI canno, that is what I remembered and that is why I asked something is different and I believe it has to do with the roots. The blue plastic container has an super healthy plant.

But seriously angrybird is on to something It very much could be a root problem if all the girls in the old soil are having issues but the only one in different soil is thriving.

Do you think he should do a h2o2 flush to try to kill any rot and then refertilize

anything that occurs in nature cannot be unnatural!

I was just researching on it, since his problem didn't leave my mind all day. He could try. It would be a shame just to cull them.
BUt also risky but maybe check the roots, smell them...

I was just researching on it, since his problem didn't leave my mind all day. He could try. It would be a shame just to cull them.
BUt also risky but maybe check the roots, smell them...
I'm going to have to agree 100% on this one. If you goto my journal you will see something very similar on one of my 4 plants that had similar issues. I caught it somewhat early and chopped off dead roots and STUNTED the hell out of the growth but nonetheless was able to save her. Here's how bad roots look. The smell on roots smelled like death (you will know). I tried fixing everything first before uprooting. This was a last resort.

420-magazine-mobile1189220960.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1672929890.jpg
420-magazine-mobile143024186.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I'm going to have to agree 100% on this one. If you goto my journal you will see something very similar on one of my 4 plants that had similar issues. I caught it somewhat early and chopped off dead roots and STUNTED the hell out of the growth but nonetheless was able to save her. Here's how bad roots look. The smell on roots smelled like death (you will know). I tried fixing everything first before uprooting. This was a last resort.

Yeah, that's root rot and it's fatal. Sucks. The way to prevent it (in hydro) is to have enough airstones going to keep the solution super-oxygenated. In soil it comes from inadequate container drainage.

Something I learned the hard way is, sometimes it's better to just start completely over after a thorough sanitizing, than try to overcome pests, rots, or fungi that have too good a foothold. I have wasted prime growing time on battling root rot, fungi, and mites back in the day and it was never worth it. Even the grows I saved, the plants spend so much of their energy fighting back the yields were seriously impacted so I lost the time and still lost the yield.

Peace, Hyena

Holy moly I got a lot of responses to give gimmie like an hour ima rip this bowl then bust out the data, and by the way EVERYONE thank you SO much for keeping my journey going I've been discouraged and extremely excited, hopefull, and distraught. Tbh I probably would have thrown in the towel if it wasn't for all of you, and the ac isn't running I had it in there to try and cool it down but was only on for 5 hours before I turned it off, now it's a perch for that little fan, AngryBird sue is just waiting to get back from a trip, the soils are different the soil for the blue tub is a bag of outdoor potting soil that had been sitting outside for months so I baked it to sterilize and mixed in a bunch of perlite, I do water this one a bit less as well as she doesn't get the nutrients near as often, she does get some. I have settled the heat issue, I do 12 hours of light under the 1khps 12 hours darkness then 12 hours under the 400wmh been doing this for last 5 days and has helped a bit I think, today I'm tarping off a section of my basement (to keep cats out) and going to move the 400w there and stick my clones in veg, I ALSO just ordered x4 whitewidowxbigbud auto fems for 20 bucks from seedsman.com hopefully by the time they get here I'll have taxes and I can start them up, but I know some changes have to be made, I do have a phreader on the way at my local store was 39bucks online was 15 so I ordered it instead

Sent from my SM-G920V using 420 Magazine Mobile App

420-magazine-mobile1189220960.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1672929890.jpg
420-magazine-mobile143024186.jpg

How did you know to check it? It seamed like a healthy plant

So since these have been out of ground since November 16 do you think my 3gal pots are to small and they could be root bound? I believe the drainage is good I don't have to put in much water before it starts running off varies little less than 1/2gal causes a bit of run off

Go with 5 gallon smart pots if possible. You are growing the roots not the plant. Happy roots = happy plant. I knew to uproot when I tried EVERYTHING. I dialed in the heat, humidity, the water, the nutrients, the soil, the pH, the ppm, the pH runoff, the distance on lights, the feeding schedules. Only thing left was check the roots. Low and behold... That was the problem. Rootbound is also a bad thing. Imagine being 6 ft tall trying to walk through a 2 ft door. Yeah you will find a way through but it will be difficult and precious time and problems can occur. Don't give up my friend. Nothing great is suppose to come easy. Not until it becomes easy with practice and experience.

Back
Top Bottom