My first Hydro

nevercallme

Hi guys,

I started my first hydro grow about 7 days ago.
On 2 of my plants there seems to be a problem on the edges of the leafes.
Is this normal? Is it just heat burn?

Thanks so much.

Hello NeverCallMe - and welcome to :420:

Yes, it does look like heat stress. How far away are the plants from the light? How strong and what type of light are you using?

400 Watt with a cool tube, and its about 30 cm / 12 in distance. It doesent feel hot when i place my hand underneath the light at the plant level. And the plants that are higher dont have any signs of burns on them.

Are all the same variety of plant?

And an easy test. Simply move the light up to 16" for a couple of days and see if the issue is corrected. If it gets worse... or even stays the same... then you have proven it is nutrient burn.

They are all the same variety. The 2 that i`m talking about are at the end of the tray where the water is exiting the system. I`m using a NFT system. Wouldent the nutrient burn all the plants?

I have attached a photo so you can see where they are placed.
Oh, and one more detail.
They seem to be the most developed out of all 6.

They are all the same variety. The 2 that i`m talking about are at the end of the tray where the water is exiting the system. I`m using a NFT system. Wouldent the nutrient burn all the plants?

That would make sense... yes.

But if the nutrient is flowing past all the other plants and pooling under those two at the end... then they will get nutrient burn and the others will be just fine.

One other thought for you...

Cool tubes tend to "throw" light out one end. Another way to look at it - the light is slightly directional and can produce a hot spot.

The light gets concentrated more on the end of the bulb - away from the socket.

If those two plants are at the end and are getting more light - they could be burning when everyone else is OK.

To test for this, simply switch those plants with two on the opposite end of the trough and watch what happens.

Back
Top Bottom