My letter to my congresswoman and her response

GMASON

This is a letter I wrote the other day to my congresswoman and below I have posted her response.

I am writing you in support of H.R. 5843: Act to Remove Federal Penalties for the Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults. To be quite frank the war on marijuana is a completely fruitless effort with zero scientific backing. The economic effect of legalization would have the kind of impact this country needs to come back from our financial deficit. Jails are overcrowded and often times non violent marijuana offenders are jailed next to rapists, murderers, etc.. No one has ever died from Marijuana use and that is a fact. This country need to get past our archaic laws and move forward. In the Netherlands there is actually less marijuana use percentage wise than here in the U.S. and the economic impact decriminalization has had is mind blowing. Decriminalization is what the people want! Please I urge you with the help of the rest of congress to shed your ears to the alcohol and tobacco lobbyists who make big money off the
war on drugs and listen to your constituents. Give us something to believe in.
Thank You

Here is her response:
Dear Mr. Mason:

What a pleasure to hear from you. Thank you for contacting me to express your support for the legalization of marijuana. Hearing from constituents on issues of concern is important to both our office and me as we work to represent our district.

It is often suggested that even if all controlled substances are not made available to the general public, some of them, particularly marijuana, could be used to relieve suffering. Because the medicinal use of marijuana has not been endorsed by the American Medical Association and other health associations, I have difficulty supporting the proposal.

Drugs are the number one cause for crime and violence in our nation and have done much to destroy the American family. I feel legislation to legalize marijuana would reduce the perception of the risks and costs of drug abuse and instead lead to increased usage of marijuana and a gateway to other illegal drugs. Furthermore, on June 6, 2005, the Supreme Court ruled that the federal government can now ban the medical use of marijuana even in states that had eliminated sanctions for its use.

Although we do not see eye to eye on this issue, I assure you that your opinion is valuable and I hope to hear from you regarding any future concerns you may have. We all agree that protecting American communities from violent crime is of paramount importance, and I look forward to working with you to achieve that goal.

Please know that I appreciate both your interest and time in contacting us on this issue. As the discussion moves forward on this and other issues, please feel free to visit our website at U.S. Congressman Marsha Blackburn where you can sign-up for our email update, learn about constituent services, and find the latest legislative news and critical information that affects and concerns the people of Tennessee.

Sincerely,

Marsha Blackburn

Member of Congress

MB/gl

I tried to bring up points that she would have to address but she just skirted around everything I was saying. Then she kinda rubs her indifference in my face when she writes about the supreme court decision. Oh well im not stopping my letters.

Perhaps the next time you decide to write her you could insist that she jump off of something really tall and land on something really hard. And then when everyone is looking for an explanation you could say she was an active bungee jumper and just wanted to try more harder and dangerous things. How would that be for rubbing the gateway theory right back in her face?

Sounds like typical Bull Shit to me too! Oh, how I hate people that use that fricken phrase, "Gateway Drug". It's obvious the bitch has never smoked a joint in her fricken life, and if you get someone with a louder voice on your side like Michael Moore and then they might fricken listen. Keep up the letters, One good aspect to possibly Obama winning this election is I can see a younger president giving us a lot bigger of a chance of getting it legalized for medicinal use if not totally legalized.

BBD

"Drugs are the number one cause for crime and violence in our nation and have done much to destroy the American family."

Sorry lady, MONEY is the cause of crime and violence, not drugs.

She is just another idiot. Find out where she gets her financing, print flyer's and hand them out, and let everyone know who owns her opinions and just who she is looking out for. I would bet my kids her financing comes from big drug, a major hospital corporation, a huge republican PAC, and every whiskey manufacturer in Tennessee.

I tried to bring up points that she would have to address but she just skirted around everything I was saying. Then she kinda rubs her indifference in my face when she writes about the supreme court decision. Oh well im not stopping my letters.

Thats exactly what ive had to face each time. We put factual information in our letters and they just seem to ignore it. But like you said, we gotta keep writing. Today I called my reps office, who knows if he will get the message tho...

Thats exactly what ive had to face each time. We put factual information in our letters and they just seem to ignore it. But like you said, we gotta keep writing. Today I called my reps office, who knows if he will get the message tho...

Send out copies of the letters or even email them to Michael Moore here is his email address, that guy has a loud voice. maillist@michaelmoore.com

BBD

have u done that b4? wat does he do with em?

Oh and by the way. just wanted to add that senator isakson (GA senator) has apparently put me on a rejection list or sumtin like that. after his response sayin he didn't support hr 5843 every time i send him an email i get an instant response sayin:
This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

senator@isakson.senate.gov

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain.

I feel legislation to legalize marijuana would reduce the perception of the risks and costs of drug abuse and instead lead to increased usage of marijuana and a gateway to other illegal drugs.

Risks? What risks? As you plainly stated in your letter, marijuana has killed a total of ZERO people.

Costs? Oh like the cost associated with arresting, prosecuting and jailing non-violent drug offenders?

Abuse? We are not advocating the abuse of anything, merely the recreational use of a substance by responsible adult citizens. Alcohol abuse is much more prevalent and is still a legal substance.

Gateway drug? Pay attention lady, even D.A.R.E gave up on that argument a long time ago.

:peace:

Risks? What risks? As you plainly stated in your letter, marijuana has killed a total of ZERO people.

Costs? Oh like the cost associated with arresting, prosecuting and jailing non-violent drug offenders?

Abuse? We are not advocating the abuse of anything, merely the recreational use of a substance by responsible adult citizens. Alcohol abuse is much more prevalent and is still a legal substance.

Gateway drug? Pay attention lady, even D.A.R.E gave up on that argument a long time ago.

haha very true. and as for legalization making more people use it. If anyone wants to smoke weed its very easy for them to do so. Those who don't smoke, it is usually because they have it ingrained in their minds that weed is bad so whether its legal or not they won't smoke. Besides, it shouldn't be about "cost, risk, or abuse" as Americans we should have the freedom to chose what we want to consume or use. Legislators "risk" argument pisses me off more than anything. Hypothetically speaking, if it was a huge risk to smoke weed (which hasn't been proven) and thats y its illegal, why are cigarettes legal? (proven to be harmful):thedoubletake:

Perhaps the next time you decide to write her you could insist that she jump off of something really tall and land on something really hard. And then when everyone is looking for an explanation you could say she was an active bungee jumper and just wanted to try more harder and dangerous things. How would that be for rubbing the gateway theory right back in her face?

well...thats about the best way to put it.. i hate those close minded ppl like that. but thats the government for ya. tax dollars at its besttt

Looks like she sent you something from the "Legalize Marjuana" template.

Establishment support for marijuana legalization is almost nil. Not only is it a political hot potato that no one wants to take on (unless it's for further repression, as the woman gleefully stated in her response - "Furthermore, on June 6, 2005, the Supreme Court ruled that the federal government can now ban the medical use of marijuana even in states that had eliminated sanctions for its use."), but Carter was the last president who even tried to decriminalize. Clinton was dead set against liberalization of marijuana laws, and I'll bet my life savings (all $50 of it) that it will be firmly status quo under Barack Obama.

If the unthinkable happens and we get a Republican president AND congress in November, look for them to further close state's legalization loopholes, and look for more money to the DEA to augment enforcement of marijuana laws.

Wackenhunt security lusts after it's big fat detention contracts that it basically buys from the government, and the powers that be have no qualms about sending more potheads to jail. Very sad.

By the way, I'm sorry you have such a facist bitch for a representative.

oh well. I feel bad for my fellow west tennessee heads but in one month im moving to So Cal so life their should be much better! Thanks for the responses yall

Reading her reply was a bit shrug off'ish I gotta say.

Stonergrower, you brought a smile to my face, dude that was funny

Rooman, I don't think sometimes that everyone gets the subtlety..re cost etc she wasn't actually talking about weed, but again lumped it in the the "heavy narcs" like herion etc,

I think you gotta ask when the education of ppl like her will actually sink in. They don't get the whole zero death side of it but we also need to be up front that some people can have negative affects (like an unfortunate acquaintance of mine who smoked a nug that had been laced with something else I'm sure)

Time and persistance and maybe a few of us in politics will assist the issue, btw notice how many pollies will admit to having a smoke in the past but now stand against it, it feels like your parents telling you to do what they say not what they did. grrr gets me riled every time.

Atleast in So. Ca. the state has allowed medicinal use! even though on a federal level its still illegal? thats are only hope or our stepping stone towards getting it legalized years from now! A young president will work in our favor!(hopefully), but so much B.S. and red tape to cut through it may take seceral years before it even stands a chance of being completly legal in all states. But yes, I do feel for you people in Tennessee! she's deffinetly a true self rightious "CUNT".

Atleast in So. Ca. the state has allowed medicinal use! even though on a federal level its still illegal? thats are only hope or our stepping stone towards getting it legalized years from now! A young president will work in our favor!(hopefully), but so much B.S. and red tape to cut through it may take seceral years before it even stands a chance of being completly legal in all states. But yes, I do feel for you people in Tennessee! she's deffinetly a true self rightious "CUNT".

Big Bud,

Barack Obama currently has about a 63% chance of being elected president in November. As cool and progressive as he seems, I'll bet you right here right now that there will be ZERO bills reforming marijuana laws originate from his Oval Office. There are way too many bigger factors in play, and most of them are corporate.

Mr. Obama shows signs daily of realizing what it will really be like in the office of the Presidency because he doesn't want to get caught off guard like past president-elects. You see him adjust expectations with every speech regarding getting the fuck out of Iraq, taxes, corporate reform, etc. Unfortunately, his lofty ideas are being gradually toned down daily. He is still the best man for the job in my opinion.

I thought your letter was short and to the point. I seems that this politician actually read the letter. That in itself is amazing.

Because the AMA has not endorsed it is a reason? Well it is the members of the AMA that are getting big kickbacks from the pharmaceutical industry. I mean, it's only chemicals and scientific formulas that could cure our ills. And forbid that fact that marijuana is a natural herb that has healing properties. That would be just too damn easy and simplistic to figure out.

The war on crime cannot be fought with marijuana at the top of the list. No other drug listed has any healing components, and those are the things that destroy our mind and body. But the marijuana growers aren't giving the kickbacks, so why look any farther.

When I think about these yahoo's that we manage to vote into office, I always think about the fact that no loved one, friend, and even themselves has ever been sick. How would they ever know that someone in their family has resorted to hitting the street to buy their meds?To be sick and know that something will help them yet has the stigma of being something bad is a travesty. Sick people become criminals. Or they suffer and search for the magic pill to make them feel better.

No politician is gonna be a great politician. They have too many issues, friends, and consituent pressure to really make an intelligent conversation. Many politicians are to weak to go against the grain on this very controversial subject. I would love to see the list of politicians who are in favor of passing this bill. Writing encouraging letters is always a good thing and adds more

I've read many letters that people have sent and I commend you. It only takes a minute to send an e-mail, or put a stamp on an envelope. It doesnt have to be an eloquent, or complicated letter filled with facts and percentages. All it takes it a couple words to speak your mind.

It starts with one voice

Peace and happiness:rollit:

then why don't you send a letter including all this information to every representative? iiiii think we should invite the lady into a chatroom with all of us 420 users, and have it something like one question at a time, or maybe have a chatroom with just one of the moderators and her, and us in another chat room putting up questions we'd like asked, and have moose, or whoever doing the talking for us, ask the questions they think would most make her think....just a thought.

Honestly as good as that sounds, she wont take part in that. My letter was written with the best intentions and she might as well written back a big fuck you. These people know we are right but when the half of the top 10 forbes fortune 500 companies are pharmaceutical, thats who controls her vote. All that matters to Washington is money. My letter was an attempt to have faith in my countries leadership but they made it pretty clear what they think of the constituents.

Back
Top Bottom