My plants are slightly droopy

Phillybonker

This is an outdoor grow
Overwatering is the main suspect, or worse - root rot. I can't be 100% sure though because they haven't been watered or rained on in 7 days and have only started becoming slightly droopy last 3 days. Most of the plants are only slightly droopy but about 10% of my plants are so droopy I don't think they will recover from whatever the problem is. They are showing no other problems apart from being droopy.

The plants got hit hard by rain 7-8 days ago and the starter soil has water retention properties, that's why overwatering or root rot is the suspect.

Transplanting is tomorrow and in previous grows I've used diluted seaweed liquid to soak the pot soil before transplanting to lower stress levels but now I'm not sure if I can do this if the problem is overwatering. Because it's been 7 days since they were watered (rained on) I would have thought that any overwatering issue would have gone away by now. Not sure what to do now - transplant with diluted seaweed or without?

Any suggestions or clues as to what's causing the droopiness? Could it really be overwatering?, I know it isn't underwatering because I gave a few of the plants some water and the droopiness didn't improve by the next day.

Pics needed. Sounds like overwatering lead to some root damage.

Damn. I can get some pics in 4 hours after I finish work. Anything I can do about it? I transplant out tomorrow.

The plants were fine the first 4 days after the rain, but they're not fine now.

EDIT: I'll see if I can sneak away from work and take some photo's, my plants are only just down the road. I'll be back.

20231214_143229.jpg

Those roots look fine so you can't be overwatering too much. If you're doing the whole wet/dry thing, how are you determining when its time to water, and when you do, how much do you give them?

If the soil looks dry on top I water them, but I think I've only watered the plants 3 times in four weeks, when I don't water them it's because it's rained sufficiently. I don't really measure how much water I give them I just pour some water in, that's worked fine for 3 ½ weeks but in the last 3 days growth has slowed and the leaves are slightly droopy now.

Quite honestly, they don't look all that droopy, maybe a little hungry, but it could be the phenotype (light green).

Yeah I was wondering about that light green color. The starter soil was supposed to have 3 months of slow release fertilizer in it, and it's only been 4 week. Maybe that heavy rain washed the fert out idk ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wasn't going to put them all out this weekend but looks like I'm going to have to, and hopefully mother nature can fix whatever problem the plants are having.

Yeah I was wondering about that light green color. The starter soil was supposed to have 3 months of slow release fertilizer in it, and it's only been 4 week. Maybe that heavy rain washed the fert out idk ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wasn't going to put them all out this weekend but looks like I'm going to have to, and hopefully mother nature can fix whatever problem the plants are having.
Remember that the fertilizer in the starter soil is for small seedlings and it’s pretty weak. Cannabis is a pretty greedy feeder, so bbetween that and rain, you could be nute poor.

If your plants are still drooping after a week since the heavy rain, they might be experiencing waterlogged soil or root rot. Transplanting them to a better-draining soil might help. Using the seaweed liquid could assist in reducing transplant stress, but avoid overwatering. A soil test can help determine if overwatering or nutrient deficiency is the issue. If the problem continues, consider seeking advice from a local garden center.

If the soil looks dry on top I water them, but I think I've only watered the plants 3 times in four weeks, when I don't water them it's because it's rained sufficiently. I don't really measure how much water I give them I just pour some water in, that's worked fine for 3 ½ weeks but in the last 3 days growth has slowed and the leaves are slightly droopy now.
That's not a great way to do it since the bottom third of the pot could still have plenty of moisture. Better to do the "lift the pot" method and only water them when the pot is surprisingly light when you pick it up.

Better still is come join us in SIP Club and let the plant water itself. (Link in my sig)

I'd go with Phyto's suggestion and try giving them some food. You may have a combination of things going on, but they do look hungry. Keeping them properly fed will help rev them up and may help solve other issues.

If your plants are still drooping after a week since the heavy rain, they might be experiencing waterlogged soil or root rot. Transplanting them to a better-draining soil might help. Using the seaweed liquid could assist in reducing transplant stress, but avoid overwatering. A soil test can help determine if overwatering or nutrient deficiency is the issue. If the problem continues, consider seeking advice from a local garden center.

I'm certain the culprit was nutrient deficiency. Half my plants are transplanted now in their final spots and the rest go out tomorrow. I always use seaweed liquid when transplanting, it's some real good stuff.

That's not a great way to do it since the bottom third of the pot could still have plenty of moisture. Better to do the "lift the pot" method and only water them when the pot is surprisingly light when you pick it up.

Better still is come join us in SIP Club and let the plant water itself. (Link in my sig)

I'd go with Phyto's suggestion and try giving them some food. You may have a combination of things going on, but they do look hungry. Keeping them properly fed will help rev them up and may help solve other issues.
I'll take a look at SIP Club.

I've transplanted half the plants out today, and the rest will go out tomorrow. About three quarters of my plants are getting fertilized on transplant day because I had trouble finding grow spots and then I sort of found some grow spots at the last moment, but didn't have time to prep. So I'm hoping whatever nutrients is in the ground soil will be enough to keep them going till the NPK in the blood & bone becomes available in two weeks time.

These plants just look hungry and like they’ve over stayed their welcome in their pots. Transplanting into larger containers with more nutrition (or the ground) will help immensely. Good luck Phil!

This is an outdoor grow
Overwatering is the main suspect, or worse - root rot. I can't be 100% sure though because they haven't been watered or rained on in 7 days and have only started becoming slightly droopy last 3 days. Most of the plants are only slightly droopy but about 10% of my plants are so droopy I don't think they will recover from whatever the problem is. They are showing no other problems apart from being droopy.

The plants got hit hard by rain 7-8 days ago and the starter soil has water retention properties, that's why overwatering or root rot is the suspect.

Transplanting is tomorrow and in previous grows I've used diluted seaweed liquid to soak the pot soil before transplanting to lower stress levels but now I'm not sure if I can do this if the problem is overwatering. Because it's been 7 days since they were watered (rained on) I would have thought that any overwatering issue would have gone away by now. Not sure what to do now - transplant with diluted seaweed or without?

Any suggestions or clues as to what's causing the droopiness? Could it really be overwatering?, I know it isn't underwatering because I gave a few of the plants some water and the droopiness didn't improve by the next day.
Just curious, how can you start an outside grow in Dec. Are you south of the equator or something?

Back
Top Bottom