My root just dropped!

No that's all you need for a potent mix. I use mycogrow soluable aswell but that's just because it's so cheap i save some cash using less of the zho and aquashield. But it's redundant as all the microbes in it are in zho/AS aswell. So your mix will be fine.

What ive learned brewing; dont put a tonne of ingredients, it'll strip the water of disolved o2 quicker than it's replaced, LOTS of air, dont add too much molasses. (I use brown sugar disolved in warm water) because if it's not eaten up when you add your tea(at 48 hrs) it'll feed the bad microbes and make things worse.
Good luck keep me posted

Awesome, my gf just bought some browmn sugar lol, but thanks again SnaFu, I should be getting those ingredients this upcoming week. So after a few days of not changing my rez, it built up this white globby film around the edges that stuck to the airstones and above the water were little dots in a radius around the buckets lining above water level... I cleaned with H202, scrubbed and cleaned. She's been wilting since those few days... My zero water filter I use to have 0 ppm water gave out and made the water a pH of 2.7-3.5, question being... My little girl being used to RO water is now in tap water that starts at about 140 ppm, you think it will give her a little shock to bounce back?

Ya i dont think it'll hurt anything, as long as you bubble out the chlorine first. I use tap wTer and never have trouble with cal mag deficiencies either. If i was you i'd take some snips and have a couple more cloning just incase. Remember it's WAY easier to prevent it than to fix it.

Well currently im not cloning, but I tend to her every day, see looking somewhat healthy. I seek to learn both prevention and how to fix problems as well. Anyway another night of temp flux a few days ago... up to 76 and slime came back. I figure since my tea is coming soon, with the aqua shield already here, I'd cut the roots for now and put her back in, the ppms were at about 160, and I bumped her up under 600 since she was taking it in ealy ealy veg. So at 500 ppm she's growing little, but not to her full potential. I notice discoloration in the leaves, but even if not specifically diagnosed, the problem is obvious. Ancient forest and zho should be here today, I will begin to brew once home and apply 1.5-2 days later.

So, Botanicar's ZHO and aqua shield are here, ancient forest comes the 14th, do i need to wait for it or can I brew without for now until it comes and then add to a new brew? Thanks!

Ok, and so will there be any type of effective action with both botanicare nutes w/o the AF or only with the AF will there be a big progress change combines with the 3?

Well dont forget all you're doing by brewing is multiplying the "good" microbes that already exist in the mix. So by adding aqua shield you introduce a few dozen strains. (Mostly bacteria) then a few dozen from the zho. (Mostly fungal). And they multiply into the billions. Now by adding the ancient forest, which claims over 10,000 different microbes, you'll have a much more diverse mix. 10,000 species numbering in the billions vs a few dozen species numbering in the billions. Both are effective in controlling pathogens in our water, one more so than the other, obviously.

That being said i can't get ahold of AF due to shipping restrictions so i'm using regular EWC instead. And a very small amount of it. The AS and zho do the trick for me.

Ok, more well understood with these microbes, I'm going to decide to wait to brew until the AF gets here which should be today. With the understanding it would be worth it, and good news that since my last rez change there hasn't been any slime or algea as of yet, so I feel like when the bennies come together it will immence to much more rapid growth. Also with that said, with the bennies, do I go ahead and eliminate the GH GMB 3 part I started to use for this grow?
Thanks once again.

They looking good man keep up the good work. Learn as you go never give up on the ladies. Happy growing to you all..

photo_3286.JPG
photo_1414.JPG
photo_2354.JPG
Thanks dude! Here are the most recents!

Girl is at about 450 ppm, now I've added some bennies and could definitely tell a difference, but I didn't apply it properly, for I cut the necessary measurements so I could add it to my res instead. I don't have another air pump and stone to have done it seperate so I took the chance. Lemme know your thoughts.
Thanks for your time all.

Sharksline99, Great post! I had a similar issue with brownish roots. I took SnaFu advice as well and flushed my water. My ph level hasn't risen as much for 2 days, but the roots still look slimy. After reading Sharksline99 replies I've decided to go with the Live DWC as well.

First, I read around and some people mentioned Mycogrow as a substitute for everything, but ancient forest. Do you agree with this SnaFu? Good results?

Shark did you just end up using tin foil for the 5gal bucket? I have the same one and the same issue with light.

My Setup:
5Gal Bucket w/ 5 holes.
ph reading: 5.5 -6.0
ppm: 370 - I use tap water
water temp: 61F - 70F
temp: 63F - 76F
2x 65w CFL (About 4" away.)

My questions for you; What are bennies? I use the 3 part GH- Once my roots go back to white. Can I mix in the nutrients with it? Hope to have my Microbes brew by early next week! I'll keep everyone posted.

Didn't mean to hijack your post too! We seem to have a similar setup and the same problems. :) Good Luck!

Hey n3mp0 thanks for the reply, I've been in search for someone with a similar problem. I have had it up and down. You can very well add nutes with bennies, but what I have done I feel is unorthodox. I'm checking my pH right now and its reading 7.55!!!! Wtffff I'm so clueless now as to what's going on. Everything looks fine, water is clear but the pH is nuts! Ppm is at 445, and now all I really need to master is the pH, I use GH 3 part and superthrive, and for bennies; Botanicare Aquashield, ZHO root inoculant and Ancient Forest, that's it. I need this issue resolved asap.

If you go up and read, SnaFu explains it a little but you can also search a post Live or Dead I believe its called.

Hi n3mp0 whats up
Yeah the mycogrow can be substituted but i actually just add it as an ingredient. My thinking being a more diverse tea will help more. But yes, the mycogrow contains BOTH the bacteria and fungal spores. Added with AF it would still be a potent brew.

Sharksline hows it goin buddy. Looked like ya had it there for a bit! Couple things ill mention, that new growth twisting is def from your ph being off. Ill just say My ph never gets adjusted. The bennes keep it at 5.8 for weeks. Never changes. Ever. That's one huge benefit to using this tea, it buffers the ph so well. So if your ph is going crazy still something about the tea is wrong.

And if i read right you're trying to brew the tea in your res? Cause that won't work. The activating ingredient in the tea is sugar (molAsses). You'll need to add a teaspoon of this to get the microbes to multiply the way we want. But if you add all the ingredients (and sugar) to your res the anaerobic (bad) microbes will eat it first and take hold before the good ones.

Awesome, thanks for the input, I'll have to get a gallon or 2 of some new water to start a new brew. I will have to do a rez change again but its all worth the learning. Its good to know that it wasn't worming right, it was a slap in the face telling me to do it right the first time. I will be replying back with a full detailed update in a couple days when tea is brewed proper and is applied correctly. Thanks again SnaFu.

Sharksline99, beneficial bacteria is known as Bennies! I was thinking it's another ingredient and if it makes you feel any better, your doing better then me. My plants are only 2-3 inch and I'm already having these issues . (Leaves are turning yellow from bottom up.) I have to say tho my roots have turned white a bit more, but I just flushed my water today and the sides are a bit slimy and I had some weird flaky white stuff floating around.

Edit: And if anyone's looking for the Live or Sterile post; LINK HERE

With that being said I need to get beneficial bacteria ASAP. I ordered Aquashield & ZHO Powder, but I have no local stores with AF and shipping $18!! SnaFu, you said you use EWC? What does that stand for? I tried googling, but have had much luck. Someone also recommended worm casting to replace AF too?

You guys talked about Molasses. Is this another product? is it required? I'm trying to save some money.

Also, maybe I missed it in the post, but how are you cleaning your equipment?? (Air hose & air stone & rez)

Thanks again!

EWC is Earth Worm Casting. Can be used in place of AF but i'd recommend ancient forest. It won't ship to canada so im s.o.l. But ewc works good for me, it would be more potent though with AF.

The molasses is absolutely necessary, it's the activating ingredient. You can use brown sugar in place of molasses, but make sure to disolve all the crystals before adding to tea.

I clean with bleach. Inbetween runs. The tea absolutely devours all the bacteria in the res. weeks at a tome, nice clean res. even salts don't build up on the sides since they have nothing to stick to and coagulate into solid. Shits like a magic potion. ONLY if brewed proper. And im on my 30th batch probably, and last night at the 48hr mark my tea smelled bad. Thats no good, throw it out and start over. I added too much sugar:/

Back
Top Bottom