my seed order

Mrmetfan

I ordered Chem dog autos and super skunk autos. If I new about this site before I ordered I wouldn't have got autos because I won't get a big yield from what I'm reading. I'm hopeing at least for over an oz. Per plant. Using mh than hps and it will be my first grow (soil ). U think I can get over an oz per plant with those strains? Thanks in advance you guys at 420 are so helpful

El Jeffe!

How goes it?

I am running 3 autos under 400W T5 and I think I have a pretty good chance of getting an oz, maybe just over, per plant. I will be doing another run of autos once these three finish up. I will be doing the next run in 5gallon smart pots, so the plants should be noticeably larger, and produce a greater yield. Autos are a lot of fun and with HID, you should get that easily. You don't want to transplant autos. I've read a lot of people drop the seeds into their final pot. I will probably drop my autos into solo cups and then transplant them only once into the smartpots.

You could always order a couple of feminized seeds and drop them, once your autos are harvested, flip the photo plants light cycle and have a decent yielder 2 months later.

El Jeffe!

How goes it?

I am running 3 autos under 400W T5 and I think I have a pretty good chance of getting an oz, maybe just over, per plant. I will be doing another run of autos once these three finish up. I will be doing the next run in 5gallon smart pots, so the plants should be noticeably larger, and produce a greater yield. Autos are a lot of fun and with HID, you should get that easily. You don't want to transplant autos. I've read a lot of people drop the seeds into their final pot. I will probably drop my autos into solo cups and then transplant them only once into the smartpots.

You could always order a couple of feminized seeds and drop them, once your autos are harvested, flip the photo plants light cycle and have a decent yielder 2 months later.

I'm going to Google about the smart bucket now. I know nothing about them. I seen a video on how to grow autos and the guy put the seeds right into the 2gallon pot. He didn't germinate of plan on transferring them. Is this a bad method? Should I at least germinate them? I also seen a vid where a guy germinated them in a cup of water

I don't germinate. I haven't seen any evidence that germinating helps in anyway. UNLESS, you are germinating like 30 seeds and you are going to keep the 25 strondest roots. Germination makes sense in the case of selection. But if you have a couple seeds and intend to grow them both, I say just pop em in the dirt. They'll pop if they're gonna. and you don't risk damaging the root.

That is my 2cents, and I wont be offended if you go the other way.

Smart pots are basically fabric pots, the allow the soil supreme drainage, and oxygen to the roots. Also since they are fabric, it makes it difficult to overwater.

I will be dropping my auto seeds into solo cups because I want a substantial root structure. Check out my first journal if you get a second and you can see how I did mine, and get an idea of how to do it much better!

I don't germinate. I haven't seen any evidence that germinating helps in anyway. UNLESS, you are germinating like 30 seeds and you are going to keep the 25 strondest roots. Germination makes sense in the case of selection. But if you have a couple seeds and intend to grow them both, I say just pop em in the dirt. They'll pop if they're gonna. and you don't risk damaging the root.

That is my 2cents, and I wont be offended if you go the other way.

Smart pots are basically fabric pots, the allow the soil supreme drainage, and oxygen to the roots. Also since they are fabric, it makes it difficult to overwater.

I will be dropping my auto seeds into solo cups because I want a substantial root structure. Check out my first journal if you get a second and you can see how I did mine, and get an idea of how to do it much better!
Your non germination advice sounds great. Can I do this with non auto seeds as well? And do the smart pots come in smaller sizes. I think 5 gallon is overkill unless I'm suppose to put more than one seed in it

I believe smart pots come in different sizes. I was gifted 6 of them from a buddy of mine. They'll be great for autos. I've read to only use them as final pots because the roots will grow into the fabric and you'll rip a bunch of roots and really shock the plant.

It might be overkill for autos, but it might not be. A plants size directly correlates to the size of the roots. Giving the roots more room should make for a bigger girls and more buds. Bigger Roots bigger fruits.

I don't remember which, but one of the autos I just bought suggest best results in a 7L pot. Which is larger than 5 gallon. Don't take my word for it... yet. We'll know better in a few months once my second grow has been rolling for a bit and see how the autos do in larger pots. ;)

Sweet leaf and mussh thanks for being so helpful. This last question might make the pro growers shake their head but I don't know so I might as well ask. Can I just start my Seed in the pot I intend to keep it in until finished? I don't want to do it if its going to effect the growth negatively

I think that's a very good question. Also, I haven't seen a whole lot of head shaking going on around here.

With regular plants potting up can be beneficial in strengthening your root structure. This is because plants the get put in very large pots have a tendency for the roots to grow sideways and circle. Rather than grow down and then out. gradualy increasing pot size allows to you more control over how your roots grow.

With autoflowers, you are dealing with plants that will only be around 2 months or so total. Transplanting can be vey stressful on a plant if it doesn't go smoothly, and to stunt an auto for a week because of a transplant can greatly reduce your yield.

That being said, I had good luck transplanting my current autos from solo cup to 1gal pots. Then I realized I should have transplanted them into their final pots. So before the roots could make it to the bottom of the 1 gallon, I cut the very bottom off of the 1gallon pots and kind of planted the pot on a larger pot.

So I will start my next round in solo cups and then I will transplant only once into the 5 gallon smart pots.

hi guys,

I too plan on starting an auto soon. to germ my seed I dampened a paper towel folded once, dropped in my seed, folded over that and put it in a zip lock baggy with a tad of air. I then put that on a paper plate and set it on the cooler side of my cable box. it was showing a nice tap root at 28 hours.
I took that seed and put it in a custom solo cup (hahaha) using 60% coco and 40% perlite. I soaked the coco with a few pinches of great white. I also put about a 1/4 drop of super thrive. I set that cup on top of my misting cloner. it is about 80 degrees there. I also have the cup covering a vent hole, so the warm mist is also going into the cup from the bottom. she has been there about 20 hours now.
I will move her into a 3 gallon pot when she gets 3-4 nodes.

- musshy

yeah if she does sprout I will start a journal, as I plan on using the GLR in her veg state. and then 12/12 for flower.

- musshy

:rofl:19:laughtwo::laughtwo:

Oh man, I remembered typing that the other day and was like? What the f did I do. I was at work though and by the tie I got home I forget to post a correction. What a dumbass I am:laughtwo:

I may have gotten my quarts and gallons mixed up in my head, but I stand by my belief that a bigger pot will produce a bigger plant. I ill be doing an auto in a 5gallon smartpot and a 5 galloon ebb and flow side by side. Compaired to the autos I'm finishing now, I expect the 5gal auto to produce a great deal more bud than the 3gals.

Thanks for pointing that out onavelzy!

Good weed to you all!

Smart pots are great. For the price they can not be beat. You should put seed in pot you would want to flower in. Try to never stress auto. Each time you do you will get smaller yield. Just about everything you read or see on youtube will say the same.
20140131_185425.jpg

np, sweet, i figured everyone would get that. it's a warped thing of mine i inherited from my mom i think, the impulse to correct the obvious. hope i didn't come across wrong.

your posts bring up a question i have about autos though. in general, larger pots equals larger root systems equals larger plants equals larger yields. that sequence presumes the plant is given the time to fully develop in veg and flower. if there is a finite amount of time until flower in autos, is there really a benefit to use a 5 gallon pot compared to a 3 or even a 2 gallon pot? will the plant flower before it has a chance to fully root out in the larger pot?

5 gallon is the best only for the reason your plant will have no chance to over grow it before its done flowering. You can put it in smaller pots but you run the risk of plant over growth in pot. If you have the money to get 5 gallon smart pots then get them. You can re use the pots as well most of the time. The big trick to getting good yields from autos is to get threw from start to finish with no stress on them. Instead of topping of fimming you do tucking. Things like that keeps stress away from autos. In most shops and on the net it is like 2 dollar different between 3 gallon and 5. Yes what you said about larger root system is right but in autos you have to add no stress makes bigger and stronger yields.

np, sweet, i figured everyone would get that. it's a warped thing of mine i inherited from my mom i think, the impulse to correct the obvious. hope i didn't come across wrong.

your posts bring up a question i have about autos though. in general, larger pots equals larger root systems equals larger plants equals larger yields. that sequence presumes the plant is given the time to fully develop in veg and flower. if there is a finite amount of time until flower in autos, is there really a benefit to use a 5 gallon pot compared to a 3 or even a 2 gallon pot? will the plant flower before it has a chance to fully root out in the larger pot?

You didn't come off wrong at all:) I'm glad someone corrected it.

5 gallon is the best only for the reason your plant will have no chance to over grow it before its done flowering. You can put it in smaller pots but you run the risk of plant over growth in pot.

Yes what you said about larger root system is right but in autos you have to add no stress makes bigger and stronger yields.

Exactly! I am going with 5gal because my almost 3 gal pots are totally full of roots, and were well before the ladies were done, I have one that looks like she's going at least 90 days (Currently Day 82) and she's definitely could have used a larger pot. I think it's why her buds aren't huge.
Not stressing your auto is key, as are many factors. Concerning pots though, while I probably wont plant an auto in a 25 gal garbage can, I could see maybe doing 7 gal. There is definitely a line you could cross, but I don't think 5gal is overkill by any means. These auto grow to pretty impressive sizes considering their relatively short lifespan. We'll see though.

Back
Top Bottom