Myths of growing

jaybethe1

Im am on my first grow, and am no means an expert. However I have learned a ton of information during the process and debunked a few things I have read throughout different posts and articles.

First i have had a lot of issues. I have a small box grow (approx 1.5ft x 2 ft) using 4 cfl lights (2@2700 & 2@6500). I used some left over white MDF boards for a reflective material. There is enough room small turbo fan for circulation. I am using a soil mix of high grade potting soil, perlite, cow manure, and peat moss. At first i wasn't using p moss and was running into ph issues being too high. It took a few weeks and noticed phosphorous deficiencies (redding of stems and leaves dying off constantly. Once that was under control i was able to move forward.

After reading several posts i was convinced my "beast" of a plant was a male. BUT.. today i saw the first sign it was a female!

First. Size.
Mostly i read that larger plants we male. This lady was twice the size of my other three.

Second. Smell
I also read people sexing by smell, if it smells its a male...wrong again, She has a pungent "tomato" smell.

Third. Branching
Others say based on linear stem grow it should be a male...yet again she has very linear stem growth (but maybe because shes only 10-12 inches tall)

I flipped her into flowering 4 days ago and have a definite pistal i noticed today. (I will attach pics if figure out how...this is my first post)

In conclusion. ..dont count your chickens before they bloom. Always wait for veg cycle to be sure. Still waiting to see what happens with the other three as thet have nor shared their secrets yet.

HAPPY GROWING!

True, jaybethe1. I had all kinds of pre-conceived notions as to what was male, what phenotypes were what sex, and all that went out the window when they started showing sex on their own.

My 4th generation clones are beasties, for sure. One even earned the nickname of Medusa, because she has such a tangle of vegetation that I had to trim her out to let light in onto the pre-flowers. They are in a big hurry to grow up and flower, too, so I might get a second harvest this year!

Back
Top Bottom