Need advice on trimming, SOG

Herborizer

This next grow I am planning on Sea of Green grow. I will veg my clones to about 6-8 inches tall and then move them into the flowering room. In my last grow, my plants got way..... too branchy and my grow area was just too dense. This time I want to only grow 15-24 inch single bud (cola) plants. I want to avoid all side branching if possible.

My question is when can I trim and how much? I have heard people say to cut all side branching and leave all sun leaves. My concern is that I will stunt the plants and affect yield. I believe I can trim before I put into flower without affecting yield. Since I will be putting into flower when they are really small, I am concerned that the side branching will come later and that trimming those will stunt/smaller yield.

I would really appreciate advice from anyone with experience with this type of grow.

Thank You

I ve had this problem before in a few SOGs. Small and tall. 1) rotating ur pots to promote even growth helps keeping the side constanly facing the most direct light from getting extremely long and tall. I had an AK47 girl in one grow in a tent SOG the went ape shit in her corner, she grew into everyone. I took twist ties and tied one end toward the end of the growth shoot and the other to the main stem. This propped up the longer branches, reducing the plants diameter. 2) I have also trimmed lower branches begining in week 4-5 veg when growing big girls to encourage upward growth. I'm no pro but these are a few things I've tried. U mentioned going into flower at 6"-8". As long as u provided enough spacing between pots ur girls should have much time to grow into each other. That's one of the attractive qualities of the Sea of Green technique. The strain has a lot to do with it. Some strains aren't genetically suited for this style of growing. Trimming doesn't necessarily constitute a smaller yield. I recently began the practice of prunning the lower and inner bud sites that recive the least amount of light so the plant can focus energy on the buds sites recieving the most light. I've read of many growers doing so and boasting of high quality yields, larger main colas, and little to no popcorn bud. Hope some of this helps. :peace:

If you hit the switch 6-8 inches you should be cool. Sativas tend to branch out more. The way to fix this is to trim the branches but you actuall want to leave the innermost flowering site. This is the way to promote tighter flowering on a "branchy" strain. I hope this lil bit helps. I've been doing SOG gfor years. Love the hell out of it. Stop by my Butchers' Pride journal, its kinda long but theres 3 different SOG grows within its pages. Any how if you need help or have a question feel free to pm me or any of the grow support to get an answer. And if one of us cant answer it we'll be sure to point you in the right direction to someone who can.:ganjamon:

hey i wrote you this message but couldn't send it to you, then trying to make a new post to ask everybody i couldn't either lol. so to you or anyone else if they can help me, i am sorry for bringing an old from the dead aswell just didn't know how to ask until i had enough posts, now before I start this is my first grow but let me tell you I have done so much research, hours of you tube, hours of sorting out the good from the bad from the bullshit on the boards. what im trying to get at is that this isn't a kid not bothering do research and just asking.
my grow

6x6 room
panda film
1000watt mh/hps
pro-mix
ppm meter
ph meter
general hydroponics 3 part, r/o water+cal mag+mag sulphate, kelp, (no flower additives, still in veg)

8 female kish transplanted from 2gal, to a square pot which is between 2 and 4 gallons a few days ago

they are doing amazing, really lush and green, super healthy plants.

they are being flipped end of this week most likely

so for kish the best way to grow from the consensus from everybody and the breeder is creating a single cola plant

now my question seems really stupid, I have looked everywhere for the answer and just cant picture it because I've never seen them flower start to finish
so my question finally is, i know i trim off all the side branches, but i cant find anywhere that talks about the most inner shoots that are say around an inch and under, do i trim those to. not sure if i just leave only the very very top bud, not sure if it grows up from there, like i said its a dumb question but it is because i can't picture it. but what i thought is you trim the branches, leave the tiny new innernodes off the main stem, after a week or so of flower if they start to look like it will be an entire knew branch with a big cola i would prune those off?

also the tiny tiny little knew internodes do i leave those. what i was thinking was that all those little shoots turn into buds and meet all into one once they swell, giving it that one cola effect because it was flowered over a foot tall from seed, instead of being flowered from clone when shes under a certain height.
im confused about this maybe you can help. the start of this grow i was over complicating things then when i stop thinking and let the plants do what they do best, i started getting the amazing veg results like i have been so maybe you can help me out before i start going loopy again haha

thanks a lot for your time

i also forgot to mention you talked about the inner sites above but it was for a sativa, mine is 100% indica and she barely has any branches so i didn't know if it would be the same or not.

Back
Top Bottom