Need advise on heat issues when venting is not an option, please?

Kannabiz

Hello 420!

I need some advice on heat issues.

I have a small grow tent (55cm X 60cm X 140cm) concealed inside my closet, so ventilation is not really possible due to stealth reasons.

Running DWC system and Installed 2 150w LEDs, less than an hour the temperature shot up to 43°C (109°F)..

Remove 1 LED and the temperature remained around 37°C (99°F)

Are they any alternatives besides venting to bring down the heat?

get u a transmisson cooler, a 5 or 10 g cooler, and a water pump. Hydronotic cooling is the name of the game. Just add ice and water or by a water chiller, a small mod to fit it. Problem fixed i use the same setup in m closet with 2x 400 cmh room stays 75 with lights on mid 6o' s with lights off. If ur useing an air cooled hood put it befor the hood. Gl

Thank you for the replies!

Ventilation is not possible due to the location of my closet, I'm not able to drill any holes to vent.

I would go for A/C option but can't find any unit small enough to fit inside a DR60 grow tent and still have space for my pots lol

I like the idea of using a transmission cooler together with a chiller but would a liquid cooler for cpu work? Will it be the same if I have a couple of them or will I be wasting my time?

I wouldnt put it before a aircooled hood unless you have the dew point under control... other wise you would get too much condensation on the surface of the heat exchanger "transmission cooler" and it would suck through the light and we know water and lights don't mix.... Plus he has no ventilation so I'm guessing theres no air pulling through if he has a air cooled hood.

Thank you guys, guess I have no choice but to figure out a ventilation for my set-up.. I hope a 4" fan would suffice.

Thank you guys, guess I have no choice but to figure out a ventilation for my set-up.. I hope a 4" fan would suffice.

This is a late reply but the transmission cooler thing sounds good to me... In the form of a chiller and an Ice Box. Look on FeeBay for small aquarium chiller & buy an ice box from hydro innovations. Depending in the amount of light & the ambient temp, go with 1T (12000BTU) per 3Kw if your ballast is outside the room -more if you chose to keep your ballast inside the grow room.
You will also need CO2 if not recirculating the air.
People grow in sealed rooms all the time -has definite advantages -and some disadvantages (heat control being one big disadvantage).
Good luck to you -DX

Hi dxco,

I've gotten a 4" inline exhaust fan for the tent, reduced the LEDs from 300w to 150w, now the temperature fluctuates around 28°C (82.4°F) to 31°C (87.8°F) with the lights on.

I'm still thinking of a little DIY to bring the heat down further. Problem with most aquarium chillers is that they are thermoelectric chillers that produces heat and needs even more venting unless I have the main unit outside my closet which is impossible for my situation..

Tent size is too small even for a mini A/C.

I'm just trying to keep my room A/C on as much as possible, so the passive intake of cooler air helps and keep the lights off during the hottest part of the day like mid noon.

Plants grown under LED, tend to be able to still grow well in higher temperatures.

I was running 82F-85F with my LEDs and my plants did just fine. Just something to keep in mind.

Thank you, that's good to know, problem is that my tent temperature can shoot up to 90F, I'm still trying to fine tune my light schedule to prevent that from happening.

On a hot day, the temperatures outside can be as high as 96.8F, so lighting in the day is a definite no for me.

Might just get another LED with identical wattage to test, maybe mine just produce a little more heat, as it's one of those without the lens cover, I don't know..

Back
Top Bottom