Need drainage

scorpdahoodlum

so im still contemplating my ideas for my grow and i hear that too much sand is too much drainage and your plant will be dry- so i will prob add just some sand and i was wondering if rice is any good? I came up with the idea at a deli the other day when I saw that the salt shaker was filled somewhat with rice so the moisture would stay in. I also know i could just buy some other organic drainage materials at ace hardware, home depot, menards, and almost any general store. So can you guys and girls help me out?:pimp:

scorpdahoodlum said:
so im still contemplating my ideas for my grow and i hear that too much sand is too much drainage and your plant will be dry- so i will prob add just some sand and i was wondering if rice is any good? I came up with the idea at a deli the other day when I saw that the salt shaker was filled somewhat with rice so the moisture would stay in. I also know i could just buy some other organic drainage materials at ace hardware, home depot, menards, and almost any general store. So can you guys and girls help me out?:pimp:

no no no... you kind of have it backwards... the rice in the salt shaker is not for drainage... the rice ABSORBS water, so it keeps the rice dry, and keeps it from clumping, allowing it to easily pass through the shaker top... rice won't do anything for your soil... and rice would soon turn to mush and break down... if you go to home depot, something good for drainage is perlite... ppl use it MUCH more than sand... and it's REALLY cheap... i think like 2 bucks for a 5 lb bag...

the rice would rot and cause alot of problems.You can buy soil that is already treated and has perlite aready in the mix too.

do u guys think menards has perlite???- I will be going there in the weekend of 2 weeks from now for lighting and soil and going to goodwill for lamp(they cary good lamps) __________I might also be getting or finding an extension cable for my grow(hiding in basement from parents) and i know people will say dont grow but it will be fine

yes i do think they have it...

just use gravel, put about 1/2 inch of gravel at the bottom of the pot then soil.

Back
Top Bottom