Need expert help on this one

dank86

deformed_1.jpg

deformed_2.jpg

This plant is 19 days old (auto fem, unknown strain). The problems started when she was transplanted as a perfectly healthy seedling into FFOF soil, which came with every pest known to man. I treat regularly with pyrethrin .01%, and fungicide. The soil PH stays around 6. I don't feed nutes as of yet and the leaves have now become brittle and dry and will crack if bent or folded. There are no sign of mites (used 30X scope). All new growth is brown and crispy, deformed and stunted almost to the point of no return. The explanation I can come up with is left over pest damage, but I've been treating for two weeks and new growth is still deformed and brown. I have a second plant that is starting to do the exact same thing now that she is in FFOF. Temps stay around 77-80 at the canopy. The only sign of pests that are left is a tiny fungus gnat here or there, which is quickly killed. I've never seen a problem like this, and have no idea what else to do. Please help!

FFOF is pre nuted and can be too hot for seedlings.

That is what's probably burning your plants. Hitting them with pyrethins and fungicides at such a young age don't help either.

I would get them out of the FFOF and into something not as hot.

DD

I'm going to try this, just as an experiment. I'll post an update to see if works, although I've never seen symptoms like this from over fertilization. It is more likely some serious aphid damage. In either case, an experimental test to diagnose dying plants can't hurt.

P.S. Many people start growing plants from seedling in FFOF and have no problems, which is why I doubt that being the cause for this. Not to mention the deformed growth is characteristic of aphid damage.

Thanks for the tip DD.

I'm going to try this, just as an experiment. I'll post an update to see if works, although I've never seen symptoms like this from over fertilization. It is more likely some serious aphid damage. In either case, an experimental test to diagnose dying plants can't hurt.

P.S. Many people start growing plants from seedling in FFOF and have no problems, which is why I doubt that being the cause for this. Not to mention the deformed growth is characteristic of aphid damage.

Thanks for the tip DD.

sounds like you already had your answer.....:)

Many people jump play the stock market bridges and bet money on the ponies, does this mean it is safe?
I myself use an inert medium while growing in soil this is what I prefer:
Pro-Mix HP 40%
Perlite 25%
Vermiculite 20%
Worm castings 15%

This mix can be altered to your personal preference, it will never burn, or harm your plants, and there is no need to add nutrients for the first month.

Many people jump play the stock market bridges and bet money on the ponies, does this mean it is safe?
I myself use an inert medium while growing in soil this is what I prefer:
Pro-Mix HP 40%
Perlite 25%
Vermiculite 20%
Worm castings 15%

This mix can be altered to your personal preference, it will never burn, or harm your plants, and there is no need to add nutrients for the first month.

Thanks for the info. I've been looking for a good self-made mix. Appreciated.

And you are definitely right with the analogy, although comparative analysis is certainly a useful tool when considering what works and what doesn't.

Personally, I never go w/a pre-made medium for my seedlings and or cuts. I have always made my own soil for most of my plants, young and old alike... it is a lil more work but, I like the fact that I save money and, I can custom tailor the soil depending on the application therein.
I agree w/Hogdady... sounds like you have your answer.
Also, I would like to see some follow up pics on this, just to have some closure I guess... LOL
Best of everything to you and... greetz from sunny So. Oreganja, home of the finest!

OK, quick update. It was definitely the soil! Two days after transplant, new growth has resumed. I'll be lucky to get 2 or 3 grams between the two plants, but at least we know that FFOF can cause great deformity in seedling growth.

I'll post pics of the growth in a few days, just to give it some more recovery time. Although the potential 2-3 OZ grow is ruined, I know better than to use this for seedlings, and IMO, for autoflowering strains altogether. Thanks again for the advice, and I'll have pics up soon.

New growth on plant one (now 25 days old)

Plant_1_2_new_growth.jpg

https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/504/Plant_1_new_growth.jpg

New growth on plant two (now 15 days old)

https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/504/Plant_2_2_new_growth.jpg
https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/504/Plant_2_new_growth.jpg

Since plant two is a bit younger, she should have a much better change at recovering fully. Plant one, the older plant, is in full flower now and will probably only produce a few grams. The main kola is only about 1 1/2 inches and I don't think she'll get much taller now. Both plants have a while to go, so lets hope they manage to grow a bit more. Anyway, lesson learned. Thanks for the advice guys.

Back
Top Bottom