Need help with my clones!

IlikeITaLOT

Hi there all!

First of all ill like to express my gratitude to this forum - it's really awesome and helped me a lot even thug I just started with my first grow!

My Little project has come so far that I am cloning atm. I toke about 28 clones from my 2 mammas (Blue mysic vegged for about 8 weeks or so)
Since it all comes down to whether my clones survive or not, I thought it might be time so seek some help in my own thread! :b

I toke the clones 3 days ago. I socked the cubes in water(ph around 5.5), cutted the clones, trimmed some of the leaves of. Then i dipped it in clon-gel and then straight into the cubes. Here are some pictures of the clones and my setup:

IMG_059331.JPG

View image in gallery

My first doubt is how wet it should be in there? My cubes a socked wet (I can squeeze a lot of water out of them)
Second, should I take the plastic of so they can breathe better, and when should I open the air vent?
And finally Im not sure if I trimmed it enough?
Any other tips/advise would be much appreciated! :)

Thanks a lot again - Hope someone can clear it up for me! :)

Over and out, Peace!

Re: Need help with my clones! :)

Yea but im not sure it Works properly.. Its about 25 degrees and 40 humidity. But how wet should the cubes be?

Re: Need help with my clones! :)

Yea but im not sure it Works properly.. Its about 25 degrees and 40 humidity. But how wet should the cubes be?

The humidity should be higher and I'm assuming that is 25 degrees celciOnly really moist, is there any slime/sludge on the cubes?

Keep in mind that there are thousands of ways to do the same thing ... my method is not gospel. I don't know everything about this stuff and I don't believe anyone does. But, I have been cloning for decades ... I'm an Old Guy clone farmer.

The wetness of your cubes is really a matter of experience. It's hard to describe a feel ... ya know? It also depends on what kind of cubes you are using. Also, Ph to closer to 6.0 from now on. You're prolly ok with 5.5 - but I seem to get faster roots at 5.9 to 6.1

IF YOU ARE USING ROCKWOOL CUBES it is a little bit trickier. Since you said you can squeeze water out, I am guessing that's what you're using here. They should soak in Ph'd solution for at least 10 hours before using them. They will be dripping wet and that's ok. I never, ever use a dome. It seems that every time I do, I get PM. The first two or three days just mist them with a squirt bottle as often as you can remember. You have to let Rockwool kind of dry out - not totally dry, but damp. And, when they need watering, do not dip them and soak them like you did the first time. Just dip the bottom fourth of the cube. Don't soak it. If those cubes stay soaked you will end up with root rot and no roots. They kind of almost have to dry - almost, then a quick dip to moisten. Hard to describe - that's where experience and failure comes in. Don't squeeze water out, just leave the dome off they'll dry slowly.

IF YOU ARE USING OASIS CUBES it's a little easier. They don't need to soak for long, Ph to 6.0 or so. No dome. It's hard to tell how wet these are because of the stuff they're made of. I go by weight. Put a fresh planted and wet tray next to a tray that has dry cubes in it. Feel the difference between the two? Hell, if you have to, weigh them and jot down the weights ... you'll get used to the feel, but till then weighing them might be a good idea. In my environment I have to dip them about once every other day ... sometimes less, sometimes more. Remember its by weight.

Also, as time goes on and roots start to develop (before you can even see them) the babies will start taking up fluids thru the roots, so they will dry even faster. I have a tray now that is fully rooted and waiting for me to get them in pots and I have to water them every day.

The cubes should not dry out - if they do, it's game over. But, you kind of got to let them get dryish ... fine line between killing them from too little moisture, and killing them from too much moisture. Next time, consider Oasis cubes. I just recently started using them. Been using Rockwool for ages and figured them out pretty well (I get 90% to 99% sprout rate depending on genetic). But, Oasis cubes are much more forgiving - plus they are a lot cheaper.

There is a sticky tutorial here. It is very good. Read it.

Few people are successful at cloning the first try. Don't feel bad if you don't get any to sprout, keep working on it. Some strains are extremely difficult to clone - some are extremely easy. I have no experience with Blue Mystic so I don't know how easily they root. The easy ones that I have worked with are Blue Dream, AK47, any of the Kush's, any of the Skunks or Cheese's.

With some of the harder to clone, and if your environment temp is on the lower side, it can take up to three weeks for roots. Don't give up early.

Keep on making babies. And, give us a HOLLA if you have questions. There is a lot of experience here. I wish I had a resource like this when I started out 40 years ago.

~ Auggie ~

Thanks a lot for the answer! :) Trying to dry it out a bit, so the cubes aren't as wet. Bot some of the cloes are starting to get yellow/brown.. Any idea what that is a signal for?

Thanks a lot for the answer! :) Trying to dry it out a bit, so the cubes aren't as wet. Bot some of the cloes are starting to get yellow/brown.. Any idea what that is a signal for?

The thing you want to watch for is drooping. Also, look for a discoloration on the stem where it is going into the cube. If that stem starts looking kind of transparent, or a gray color - you have root rot and its over. You can check one of them in a week or so by peeling it open. This will destroy that clone; but it will tell you if you have root rot in all of them (and I suspect that you do). If it starts looking droopy ... well, sorry.

While clones are starting to form roots, they use the energy stored up in the leaves to survive (its like fat deposit on mammals, stored energy). They start with the leaves closest to the cube. You'll notice them turning pale, then yellow, then brown. DO NOT TAKE THEM OFF. The baby needs that food to survive till she makes roots.

Keep an eye on them. In a week pick one and peel it open to look at the stem that's in the cube. If it has a bulge on it, or tiny hairs coming out - yer golden. If it is soft, slimy and gooey ... yer done. Try again.

Cloning is as much an art as a science. I threw away trays and trays and trays of failures ... till I got it. Once the light bulb comes on, it's not that hard. Hang in.

~ Auggie ~

Thanks agian for the answer. Its now a over a week ago, and only one of them its rooting. Some are still green others are yellow/brown at the tip of the leaves, but none of the is hanging. Does this yellow/Brown = done???
And do you know for how long i can wait to put the one with roots into soil? can i wait to some of the others maybe root, a wekk maybe?

Here are some pics:

IMG_061724.JPG

IMG_061825.JPG

IMG_061627.JPG

IMG_061529.JPG

Mads

They all look FINE to me. The one that has roots can go in soil any time. Water with no nutes for first week, then half strength for two weeks, then go for it.

The others ones look good. That browning and yellowing is just the plant feeding off of its stored up sugars until it can sprout roots. Keep them damp. Give them just a few drops in a quart of ph'd water of P. Just a few drops, just a small amt. Too little is better than too much.

You're doing better in your first attempt than I did.

~ Auggie ~

Back
Top Bottom