Need some help please

gaingreen

So i'm starting after doing some research i decided to changed the to the FoxFarm Ocean potting soil. I started my plants using rockwool and decided to transplant into the 3gal pots. after a few days i noticed that some of the plants had some sort of (yelloish/rusty) looking mold on the leaves. I had no problems before i transplanted them and after looking into my bag of soil i saw what appears to be mold. The plants are 3 weeks old and from what I have been reading baking soda saturated in water should kill the mold but that idea killed half the crop. Any suggestion on what i can do about this mold issue on both the plants and soil? I'll be getting a digital camera soon so i can take pics

Glad you posted this...sorry to hear about your problem..
But it got me thinking..I have stored some potting soil (organic roots)from my first grow in a Tupperware container, which i was plannin on using in my next grow(in a few days).
Now you have me a little worried...Gonna have to check the soil first now...I hope you get an answer for your babies.

:thanks: from what i gather it was the humidity that caused the mold. I had the soil sitting for a few days and it was rather humid, so i have to change the location of where i keep my soil to someplace with lower humidity. Your tupperware I might have prevented this whole disaster if I only thought of it sooner, so i'm going to give that a shot. I just hope the rest of my babies will survive.

I have never used this ff product. I can highly recommend pro-mix bx for this approach. it has microrhizae (sp) ph buffers and starter fertilizer. it comes dry in a bale. for seedlings and clones i moisten it with pure water, but for potting i use nute water. learned about it in hawaii where it is the standard.

i have used FoxFarms Ocean potting soil and FoxFarms happy frog....both are great soils...it sounds like it wasnt the soils fault but the humidity in the air that caused the mold....and mold can grow anywhere so dont blame the medium...

I read a lot of great reviews about this product and I believe that it was the humidity that caused the mold but I'm wondering how do i get rid of it without harming the rest of my plants. I read that baking soda will kill any fungus by changing the surface ph of foliage but it seemed to dry my plants up or something as well, only a few are still alive a kicking , and I'm attempting to learn how to stop the fungus without killing my crop in the case that this occurs again.

So to try and clarify my questions,
1) what way can i kill a fungus without killing my plants?
2) Is it possible to get rid of mold in soil? if so how?

More info on my grow room
Temp: 79-85 light 76-82 no light
soil: Fox Farm ocean potting soil
Humidity: was at 60% now at 50% (not sure if thats too high but i've read that is ok)
Seeds: CH, CoH, LJ, BG

CH: Cheese,
CoH: Caramelicious,
LJ: Light of jah,
Bag seeds( amsterdam seeds)

:allgood:

neem oil works as a fungicide. orchid growers have used cinnamon powder apllied to the soil as a fungicide, and cinnamon tea (weak, it can burn plants) or disolved in alchohol as a spray to stop mold and fungus on the plants.

neem oil works as a fungicide. orchid growers have used cinnamon powder apllied to the soil as a fungicide, and cinnamon tea (weak, it can burn plants) or disolved in alchohol as a spray to stop mold and fungus on the plants.
:thanks:

I'm working on the neem oil will be getting that within the week. If i use the cinnamon powder on the soil it should take care of the mold problem and plant what i want in it, or do i need to do something else to the soil before planting new seeds?

:thanks:

I'm working on the neem oil will be getting that within the week. If i use the cinnamon powder on the soil it should take care of the mold problem and plant what i want in it, or do i need to do something else to the soil before planting new seeds?

if it was me, i'd discard the soil you haven't used yet. use what you like, but get some new. one thing i like about promix is that it is shipped dry, so stuff won't grow on it while in storage.

I could be wrong here, and please correct me if I am, but doesn't a low PH kill algea?
Seems like a low PH (6.0 or lower) spray would take care of algea.

Cheers... and again, please, PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.

you are right. only problem is: a ph low enough to kill the mold, may harm the plants. btw any pots and other containers used to contain the moldy soil should be washed with bleach water before re-using.

you are right. only problem is: a ph low enough to kill the mold, may harm the plants. btw any pots and other containers used to contain the moldy soil should be washed with bleach water before re-using.

Interesting... so where is the effective PH level. I've heard that water with a ph of 6 or lower is effective in solving mold issues. A ph of 6 will not harm your plants, so it seems like a good solution.
Thoughts?

Cheers

I learned somthing new about Neem oil the other day. It's a systematic treatment, not a topical treatment. The Neem oil gets inside your plant and inhibits insect reproduction. Kind of like treating a skin infection with an anti-biotic shot rather than a topical ointment.

Just some hopefully handy info.

Cheers!

yup! good stuff. neem oil cake added to soil will prevent soil insects like nematodes and some borers. neem is used as medicine for humans in India, but not sure about whether that is good or not. I use it as a preventative every couple weeks. can't use on buds, it tastes and smells.

Interesting... so where is the effective PH level. I've heard that water with a ph of 6 or lower is effective in solving mold issues. A ph of 6 will not harm your plants, so it seems like a good solution.
Thoughts?

Cheers

I don't know. my background is in farming, both traditional and organic. i don't want to comment on something i'm not familiar with for fear of screwing up someone's grow. maybe someone else has tried this. good luck

It totally smells like ass. I hear that in India it's used for many things, including tea and toothpaste.
I spray it on my babies weekly, but I live in a pretty bug-agressive environment. I once had an entire tomoto plant chewed to the stem... including the fruit, by just one caterpiller. I don't screw around with bugs... any showing brings out my nuclear bug arsenal. Neem is my innoculation, but I'm not shy about using other things ranging from diatomacious earth to various topical bug sprays.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom