Need suggestions for outdoor grow

agrlhasnoname

Hello everyone,

I have a couple seedlings and then I just got a couple clones today and I was wondering some things.. I haven't had much luck in searching for information.
This is only my 2nd time doing an outdoor grow (my 2nd time growing in general, located in Maine) and I had issues with mites and then bud rot last year.
I didn't know if anyone had tips to prevent those things or anything else good to know.. I also didn't know how soon to start giving nutrients.
Anyway sorry for rambling thank in advance for any help :)

Hello everyone,

I have a couple seedlings and then I just got a couple clones today and I was wondering some things.. I haven't had much luck in searching for information.
This is only my 2nd time doing an outdoor grow (my 2nd time growing in general, located in Maine) and I had issues with mites and then bud rot last year.
I didn't know if anyone had tips to prevent those things or anything else good to know.. I also didn't know how soon to start giving nutrients.

As for nutrients, you typically don't want to start until the seedlings have three full sets of leaves (don't count the cotyledons!).

As for the mites and budrot, it's a lot easier to deal with those things indoors where you are in full control of the environment, but there are some preventatives and treatments for both.

Neem oil is a good organic preventative for many types of pests. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do to prevent budrot outdoors since you can't control the humidity or ventilation, but the neem does control some fungal diseases and, budrot can be caused by pests, so preventing them is a good step in preventing budrot.

However, if you do get budrot or mites, there are numerous organic fungicides and miticides on the market that you can use to treat the issues. And, products such as Organicide, that deal with BOTH pests and fungus:

Organic Laboratories 64 oz. Ready-to-Use Organocide-100052369 - The Home Depot

You should make sure whatever you use is OMRI listed, which should make it safe to use on plants intended for human consumption.

I hope that helps!

:Namaste:

K

Hello everyone,

I live on the opposite coast, but bud rot's an annual pre-harvest hazard. I try to avoid it by growing faster-finishing strains that have less chunky buds. It's not universal, but fatter buds are generally more prone to rot.

Maximizing air flow around the plants helps, too--keep plants well-spaced & prune for air penetration. I've known of folks putting fans near outdoor plants overnight during cold moist conditions...but that's a bit much for me.

Most importantly, keep an eye on the buds & weather. I've had some luck with cutting out infected buds without the rot spreading. But if you don't catch it early, it can spread very quickly, as you might have found out.

But sometimes when weather conducive to bud rot is imminent in late fall, I'll just harvest, even if it's a little early, rather than risk losing a plant or 3.

Hope you enjoy your grow!

I'm growing in soil, I have the plants in some eco pots
If you are in pots, that gives you some flexibility as far as weather...if it gets cold early you can move them. But, also means they will need more frequent watering...at least twice a week. Bigger pots with more soil will give you bigger, healthier plants with a larger yield.

If you spray you'll kill beneficial spiders & insects (mantis, ladybugs, etc) that eat mites.

Spraying begets dependency on spraying. There's a better way, outdoors.

Why I never spray for pests

Or you can grow benifitial plant near your grow, those insect would attract to those plant instead. I am growing outdoor too, all those beneficial insect will come back in time. I just spray my crops with neem oil and I still see beneficial spider around after that. 1 spider is not worth a season.

Just y-day I got together with another grower that lives a few blocks from me & we did a walk through of our respective outdoor grows. He's battling mites by spraying & has mite probs almost every year. Also has no wasps, ladybugs, mantis cruising his grow & we couldn't find a webless spider in his grow...just some stubborn mites.

He knows I never spray. He said, "You don't have to, you never have mites." Which I don't usually & never for long, but I've got about 5-8 spiders in every plant & predatory wasps & ladybugs flying in for daily cleanup. Asked him if he'd put 2+2 together.

I think it's dawning on him.

Every garden ultimately becomes a reflection of the gardener. Some seek to control nature, others work with it.

Just make sure you inspect the leaf everyday though. Don’t just assume, I’m on a strict schedule on that, haven’t found mites yet but you never know.

I live in SoCal and last summer grew a few plants in 10 g pots and got huge, beautiful buds, but lost about 1/3 due to rot. If course, the biggest buds get hammered...

This year, I have a good oscillating fan on every night going through the canopy of 3 bushy 6’ plants with 1’ between each canopy. We’ll see if that helps; but if we get a humid summer and fall...not much we can do other than cut early.

Back
Top Bottom