New Grow Prep! Please Help!

Zippo

Hi all,

Wow. I have a read a lot of great stuff here...and like Playboy, I'm often just looking at the pictures. Awesome!

Anyway, I am prepping my closet for a first-time foray. So far I've got a Rainforest Aeroponic machine with 18 holes of goodness, expanded clay, and coco-fiber liners and caps.

I've just built a pedestal for it which will allow fresh air through the door crack without emitting any light. (If you want to know how to do this, I'll give you details and pics.)

I've wired the closet with an electrical outlet.

I've got some two mil mylar which I am going to line the closet with.

However, for almost everything else...I need a lot of serious help.

I plan on a 12/12 grow from feminized seed, then go to cloning. I've ordered some great seed, and all of it is supposed to grow small for 12/12. Most of it is autoblooming in 24 hour as well, but I am not that confident yet. They even tossed in white widow, among other freebies. Still waiting for it to arrive.

The closet is 8x3x3. I plan to vent to the attic, where it should be no problem. I was planning on a filter, but only if I need it.

(Just so you know, while I am definitely not rich, I can afford to buy decent commercial, off-the-shelf products without making my own.)

Anyway, if you want to send me a link to the definitive articles I need, that's fine too. I'm kind of lost here, and a little web-challenged as well.

Basically...that's all I know. I want to use top of the line stuff, so can you all point me the way to the best tips for:

1) What's the best way to transplant my sprouts into this rig? Should I use the clay and coco liners?

2) What are the very best nutrients out there?

3) Since I plan to go 12/12/ from the time I transplant, is there a recommended watering and nutrient schedule? I know at some point I am supposed to leave the spray on 24/7...but otherwise am clueless.

4) pH and ppm and ? - What is a good instrument to buy? And what's the best adjuster?

5) Best temp for the room? Best temp for the nutrient solution?

6) What's are some good clone kits?

7) Recommeded gear? Thermometer, solution heater, etc? Anything I am missing...

8) What else do I need to know?

I know I ask a lot of questions, and I've already scoured this site, but so many people recommend a lot of different stuff...plus, I'm definitely grow-challeneged, so a hand-holding walk-through for the rest of my setup and first grow would really be appreciated. (I promise pictures, and if you can get me through from start to end, I might even build you a pedestal for it, if you're of the mind. :) I've got mad tool skills, but no green thumb!)

Hey, thanks in advance, and also for letting me hang with you cool dudes and dudettes!

You'll do just fine with your setup. Just keep it very secret. The best thing I bought, after a nice light (250WattMH with a conversion blub for the flowering season), a cycle timer for the water pump, and timer for the light, was a device to measure the nutes.

The hard part is not growing, the hard part is not letting your friends know what your doing:smokin:

welxome to 420.

plus, I'm definitely grow-challeneged
, I am curious to this as I see your to use an Aeroponic for grow. Having little or no experience in that or Hydro grows we'll need to have another grow Support member chime in here.

I have a few rainforests. I have the 318 as well. It's a good setup for clones or vegging small plants but I wouldn't recommend it to grow 18 plants from start to finish. There just isn't enough room IMO. I would recommend getting the 66 inserts and just grow 6 plants from start to finish. Even then I would keep the plants somewhat on the smaller side. Keep in mind having 6 plants that close together is basically gonna create one huge bush and light will have a difficult time penetrating the canopy. You may find it beneficial to tie the plants outward on a horizontal plain (LST). This will allow light to penetrate easier. Also, the resevoir is only 13-18 gallons (depending on which model you got). That means your PH is gonna flucuate alot daily due to the amount of plants to nutrient. Make sure you get a reliable ph tester and maintain your ph on a daily basis. It's very important in these systems that you have an airstone in the resevoir running 24/7. You must keep your nutrients well oxygenated. Your roots will be submerged in nutrient for the duration of the plants life. Take special care of your vortex motor. It is very delicate and the shaft can be bent easily. The slightest bend and your motor will vibrate the crap outta your system and you wont be able to bend it back. It's just too precise. You can run the system 24/7 if you want or you can shut it down intermittenly to save wear and tear on your motor which is usually what I did. Once the roots hit the resevoir it's not as critical to run the motor as often. I recommend you change the nutes weekly. I used flora series nutrients with floralicious plus. I used hygrozyme religiously for 2 years but have since stopped a year ago and really haven't noticed any adversed affects. I did notice my wallet thanking me though! Thats all I can think of right now. I'm sure I'll think of something else later. Good luck with the system!

You should start reading the completed journals. You'd be amazed how much you'll learn from watching other people make mistakes and learn from them. I spent weeks and weeks just reading these forums 3 years ago before I ever planted a thing. I have had my "problems" along the way but I was able to fix them quickly and efficiently because I new what to look for and I new how to find the answers on these forums. I have never lost a crop thanks to this website. KNOCK ON WOOD....

Back
Top Bottom