New grower

newplantmom

My husband and I have decided to try to grow some herb for ourselves. We got two types of seeds (a package that says G13? seeds that I bought at a head store about 5 years ago) and a bag of sour diesel seeds from a grower friend. I intend to grow them outdoors but as I live in zone 5, I started them indoors to give them a head start in our short growing season. I sprouted the five G13? seeds in paper towels about 10 days ago and of the original five seeds, four sprouted. At that time, I put the four sprouted seeds into coconut fibre pellets, three of the seedlings have gotten their first set of real leaves and I planted those in 3-inch peat pots filled with miracle gro and put them in a sunny window -- amazingly to me, they look upright but not leggy and happy. The fourth seedling dropped over and died.

I had more of the sour diesel seeds (14) and although I started them in exactly the same way, they shot up very fast and became quite leggy (2-3 inches long) with the tiny little initial leaves at the top. I panicked when I saw them and didn't wait for the first set of real leaves to come in. I potted them in the peat pots right away and put them in the same sunny window. They remain leggy looking but have grown no taller and they are getting their real leaves. Of those original 14 seeds, nine plants are growing and looking healthy.

All the seedlings are getting approx 6 hours of direct sunlight in a window with a western exposure.

How am I doing for a first timer? What do I need to know and do now? I do not want to invest in lights and would rather do the old-fashioned thing. Can I grow them by just using sunlight through a window and starting the hardening off process when they get bigger. How big should they be before I start taking them out for a little sun and for how much time should I leave them outdoors at first?

Any advice you can offer would be really appreciated. Thank you.

Welcome. They probably need more time under light they are stretching to find light. got any pictures to share?

Sent from my XT1032 using 420

Back
Top Bottom