New grower

Dpro327

420 Member
I’m really new to growing. From California. I got 2 clones from a dispensary and planted them in 420 soil. I moved them outdoors under my patio for a few days and then put them in full sun for the last 2 days. They look horrible. They look really light green and there is brown spots. Any help would be appreciated!!

C362BBC9-BD91-43A7-83A2-35DF8E0D1F69.jpeg

2B380203-35E3-45EC-B3DE-1743786DECF0.jpeg

BC1A6CB6-C13B-41A4-A985-10E3B0553B91.jpeg

Hey 327,

Welcome to forums at 420! To help we need more info.... What kind of soil? What size container are they in? How often do you water them? How much water do you give in one session? Are you feeding any nutes to them? Do you adjust ph? Do you have a cal-mag product? What are your outdoor temps now?

I suspect too much direct sun & possibly overwatering. Plants have to be slowly acclimated to direct sun so you did good but for now you may need to circle the wagons and find a more shady spot until they stabilize.

My 2 cents more will jump in later

High Dpro327, They need to get used to the sun coming out from lights. Hardening off it's called. First day out 1 hour only then shade. Second day 1,5. Third 2 forth 3, then it should be ok. You should look up "Hardening off" for proper times.
Welcome aboard, they should thrive when the new growth comes.

First off thanks to everyone for the advice! Really appreciated.
I planted in recipe 420 potting soil. When I got them from the dispensary they were in sponge like cubes. The containers are 6inch wide by 6 in deep. I water them every other day when I first got them. Not much. Just around the base of the plant. I put them out in total shade all day for about a week outside from 6 to 6 and then put them in my kitchen with the light on until 9. Then 3 days ago I put them in total sun from 6am to 6pm. Before I put them out I watered the two of them with 17 oz of 6.5 ph water. Basically a small water bottle. Not each but 17 oz between the two. I am not using any nutrients. I live in nor cal and it’s been windy and in the 80s as far as temperature. Last year I did two plants and made it to harvest but didn’t dry them long enough. Really hoping to get something out of this years crop. Thanks again.

Ok sounds great and just checking but you’ve got drainage holes in those containers right? Clones are same age as the mother, but since just being recently transplanted the roots of your chicks are not hooked up in the new soil yet.

Tell more about these sponge cubes or possible rapid rooter...... are they brown like dirt or yellow artificial fiber with a plastic wrapper like rock wool? Ditto on what Smoking Wings said - hydro or water roots are not the same as soil roots, they have adapted differently so more time is required to hook up.

Can you tell us about the kitchen light? What type of tech, what wattage? Do you have a grow light? Might be wise to stabilize them indoors if you have the ability. Compact fluorescent lights are good & cheap, not gonna grow chunky buds but enough to triage some sick plants. As per usual - please consider all opinions

I do have drain holes in pots. When I got the clones they were in like a yellow square sponge. It was not in a pot at all. As soon as I got them home I put them in the 6x6 pots. I put them under my kitchen light. A regular 55 watt halogen light just to keep them “up” until 9 on so they don’t flower early. I have moved them back to a shady spot and will move them out slowly. Is 6-7 oz of water too much for a plant this size? How often should I water in 80-90 degree weather like nor cal has?

So cool, figured you did but you would be surprised at how often we see no drainage holes! So let’s talk water, first hard for me to say since I’m indoor grower on the other coast. One great tip is to buy a spare pot same size as others, fill with same soil mix and use as comparison weight. It’s called lift the pot method, a container of dry soil is light as a feather. If you were in LOS you could water more often but for most soil types you have to do a wet dry cycle. A common mistake is new growers want their crew to jump up and grow so they water every day, or every other day. Watering on a schedule is bad for a young plant, later on when plant is big and in flower that might be more appropriate, but for young ones it’s very common to love them to death with the water.

One idea might be to use a spray mist bottle but learn to watch leaf position. A plant will drop slightly when it dries out and that’s ok, it’s not going to die immediately. Doesn’t mean water it right away it means watch it. For most soil types (excluding LOS) we encourage working the wet dry cycle in veg and then in flower keep the soil moist at all times.

Gonna drop a link for a great water article from Emilya, there are 2 excellent water articles on her page, read the first one and find the second one in her signature. How to water a potted plant & how to water an auto or large plant in small container. But waiting to water is just as important as adding water.... Emilya - water potted plant

Back
Top Bottom