New to this

baldguy65

420 Member
I'm growing Northern Light Autos. My first seed has finally sprouted a seedling. at this point I have it in a peet pod. When do I start to fertilize, What fertilizer do you recommend and how often do I feed.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Welcome Baldguy - Congratulations op popping your first seedlings and look forward to watch them grow.

The first decision you need to make is what type of soil you will use or whether you are going to grow in CoCo. Seedlings can usually go ok with no additional fertilizer for the first week to two from sprouting. Many people go from peat pods to Solo Cups as an intermediary step. Personally I find that if growing an Auto it is beneficial to stress your plant less and put directly into final pot.

I am growing 12 Autos currently and have been using CoCo Coir. You can get it quickly on Amazon for about $20 for a 5 Kg compressed block. There is enough CoCo for about 3-4 Five Gallon buckets or fabric bags. The one advantage to CoCo is it is almost impossible to over water in CoCo which is probably the number one failure of most new growers. The down side is you have to water at least once a day. If you are growing in CoCo you will also need to add Cal-Mag to your feeding schedule.

My preference in nutrients in Advance Nutrients PH Perfect products. The recommendation for Coco is Sensi CoCo as it already has the Cal-Mag in the mix. This is a 2 part solution for Grow and a different 2 part for Flower. The advantage of the PH Perfect line is you don't have to worry about adjusting you PH (probably the second main reason for failure is PH not being in the right range).

If growing in Soil I would use the PH Perfect regular solution which is a 3 part mix Grow - Micro and Bloom.

Thanks for the info Troy01. As of right now still in the peet going to look into the CoCo Coir and the Advance Nutrients. Being new to this, the easiest the better. What are your thought on pearlite? I have seen Vids of people using it in an Evan Flow system.

Again thanks for your help.
BaldGuy 65

Many use pertelite in a pure ebb-flow type hydro setup. One it's own it does not hold much or any moisture. I've been using straight CoCo. It holds about 20% moisture and can go a couple days without watering or you can water numerous times a day without worry.

I really like the Advance Nutrient products. I have not had any PH problems or nutrient lockout.

Here's a look at my current grow - I'm growing Autos so they are shorter than Photo's

Back
Top Bottom