Newbie has heat issues in grow tent

localgirl

Aloha all! I'm hoping that someone more experienced can help me. I have a 2' x 3' x 6' grow tent in a closet. I have a 440w MH/HPS grow light with winged hood, but my temps are too hot!!!

Initially I had a 220CFM fan on the exhaust to a carbon scrubber, but the temps were still too high. Of course, I didn't realize that I got a booster fan! So I got a 440CFM 6", which is much better (and put the 220CFM booster fan in the intake). If I close up the tent, temps shoot up to 86-88.

Okay, so I'm thinking that I need to get an air cooled reflector for the 400w or cool tube or buy a 250w air cooled grow light. What are people's preferences on air cooled reflectors vs. cool tube? Should I try to get an air cooled reflector for the 400w (or is it too much?) or buy a new 250w air cooled grow light?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm new at this too so I'm not sure how much help I'll be, when you say intake, does that mean you have a fan also blowing cool air into the tent to replace the old air? if so it sounds like you may need to go with a cooled light or a lager tent, I read of one guy adding wet wash rags inside the tent and he got the levels right..best of luck

Aircooled will help, maybe. But more than likely if your getting that high of temps you need to either drop your ambient temperature with AC in house or get a portable air conditioner. Temps create huge issues tackle it before you run into trouble.

Hey local girl,
Nice thread I have the same issue but I'm using a 4x8 tent with a led magnum that's kinda alright , not 1100 alright and a 600 lumatek hps. My temps are in the low 80s , high 70s and I know that I will have the same problem this summer. Did u piggy the reflector to the. Arvin exhaust and if so what size of venting 6 inch? I'd rec LEDs but there so variable at best and so few journals to accurately assess their claims. But I'm working on a journal that will hopefully help people decide which way to go.

Local, glad to hear your straight (at least as far as heat cools LOL) makes me hopeful I won't have an issue, I have a 600HPS and a 400 MH running the light today just hanging in a bedroom with a large fan blowing towards it, I got up to 80, but I haven't hooked up my inline fan yet, so I'm hoping I'll be ok in the 5X5 with the 600 this summer, it get real hot here!! PS the house is central heat and air, but I have had problems keeping the house below 80 when it gets to 100 outside, but we don't have too many days like that, though we have had heat waves we are in the 80's and then 90's for the most part...any thoughts? thanks ..this site rocks!

Back
Top Bottom