Newbie to coco with some questions

Kyle12308

420 Member
Hey fellow growers,
Hopefully this post is ok here. I’m a relatively new grower with 4 harvests under my belt, all in coco. I feel like I haven’t gotten a real grasp of it until this current run, and I’m looking forward to the results. Been getting great advice from guys at my local grow shops, but I’d like to get as much feedback as possible from anyone who cares to share their experiences. I know all the answers I get will be subjective, but here's some questions anyway...

What's a good pH to run in coco? I've been experimenting between 5.8-6.3 and haven't had any problems, what's optimal?

Drain to waste vs. recirculation - thoughts?

What size pots? I used to think the bigger the better, but lately I've found smaller pots (3 gal) with frequent waterings seems to give the best results.

Target PPMs in nutrient solution?

Are microbes worth using in coco, especially when watering multiple times a day?

I’m running a 3 tent setup - a 4x4 (four plants) and 4x8 (eight plants) for flowering. Just set up an auto sprinkler system, and man it made the world of a difference. Being able to constantly keep the coco wet made the roots explode outside of the pot and my plants are growing so quick that I don't know what to do with them.

Microbes and nematodes (type of worm) are used for breaking down (eating) organic matter and shitting out available food for roots. So if your using amendments it will be beneficial, not needed though, there seems to be good enough microbial life in coco without adding any. But i bet it will be better for sure if you add a bunch!
My current coco/perlite/gaia green amendments. Watering 6.2-3 for veg and 6.5-8 for flower
20200125_010808.jpg
20200124_225334.jpg
20200124_225230.jpg

Microbes and nematodes (type of worm) are used for breaking down (eating) organic matter and shitting out available food for roots. So if your using amendments it will be beneficial, not needed though, there seems to be good enough microbial life in coco without adding any. But i bet it will be better for sure if you add a bunch!
My current coco/perlite/gaia green amendments. Watering 6.2-3 for veg and 6.5-8 for flower
20200125_010808.jpg
20200124_225334.jpg
20200124_225230.jpg
I'm using CX Horticulture's Coco line of nutrients. Cant find info anywhere on what to pH it at.
As far as microbes go, that makes sense.. I used to use them every feeding, but haven't seen any reduction in growth since i stopped.
Beautiful plants. What kind of yields are you getting under that light? I'm running two of the Mars Hydro TSW 2000s in my 4x8. Just flipped it into flower, looking forward to seeing what I can get out of it. Hoping to get a third one in there soon.

I'm using CX Horticulture's Coco line of nutrients. Cant find info anywhere on what to pH it at.
As far as microbes go, that makes sense.. I used to use them every feeding, but haven't seen any reduction in growth since i stopped.
Beautiful plants. What kind of yields are you getting under that light? I'm running two of the Mars Hydro TSW 2000s in my 4x8. Just flipped it into flower, looking forward to seeing what I can get out of it. Hoping to get a third one in there soon.
This is my first controlled grow, im expecting 1-2 oz per plant! Hopefully all turnout to be female, going to be doing some more training tonight once light is on.

Mars says the tsl and tsw 2000 can get up to 1.5g/w

Also you should be fine with the 2 in that space, a third would be that much better though!

Hey fellow growers,
Hopefully this post is ok here. I’m a relatively new grower with 4 harvests under my belt, all in coco. I feel like I haven’t gotten a real grasp of it until this current run, and I’m looking forward to the results. Been getting great advice from guys at my local grow shops, but I’d like to get as much feedback as possible from anyone who cares to share their experiences. I know all the answers I get will be subjective, but here's some questions anyway...

What's a good pH to run in coco? I've been experimenting between 5.8-6.3 and haven't had any problems, what's optimal?

Drain to waste vs. recirculation - thoughts?

What size pots? I used to think the bigger the better, but lately I've found smaller pots (3 gal) with frequent waterings seems to give the best results.

Target PPMs in nutrient solution?

Are microbes worth using in coco, especially when watering multiple times a day?

I’m running a 3 tent setup - a 4x4 (four plants) and 4x8 (eight plants) for flowering. Just set up an auto sprinkler system, and man it made the world of a difference. Being able to constantly keep the coco wet made the roots explode outside of the pot and my plants are growing so quick that I don't know what to do with them.

Welcome.

That pH range is largely regarded as optimal, there is no singular numerical value that's best, they need a range of pH exposure to make the most of the nutrient solution. Different elements have different availability at different pH levels.

I use 3 gal fabric pots but I run 9 plants per 4x4 and I irrigate 6 times a day. The more Irrigation cycles the better. It swaps old nutrient solution out for new and brings fresh oxygen into the root zone.

Target ppm is largely determined by your environment and irrigation frequency. I run around 600-700ppm.

Recirc sounds good on paper but it makes spreading root zone infections a possibility. The longer you go between change outs the further away from your Target ratios your solution will get. I have a floor sump that all my waste goes into, but if you were draining into a reservoir and pumping the water out anyways a recirc setup isn't a terrible idea and they do work well. I just prefer a straight DTW.

I'm not positive how much microbial life really lives in Coco but it will grow on the root surfaces so I use orca liquid mychorrizae and a compost/kelp tea once a week. Not positive that there's any real difference running without them as I've always used them in this setup.

Back
Top Bottom