Noob reaching out - week 4 flower assistance outdoor in soil grow, liquid vs surface application

radrichie61

Hi and thanks. Ok, I would like to ask for comments, again. Been reading so much ,y head is spinning. I am finishing my ms in biology and my brain is more fried than class.

I have read so much that I am ready to keep it simple as possible. First grow, outside in soil, eastern NC. Just sort of fell into this grow. Saved seeds from something I smoked. Ferm, started, blah blah and I have learned a ton. Week 4 flower I think. Could use some comments on a nice basic fall strategy for nutrients. I feel confident in managing pests, watering, and most all of it. But now as I enter this phase I do not want to F up. So here is my question but first info.

What Strain is it? No clue, from use
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? See above
How Many Plants? 3
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage? Week 4 flower
Indoor or Outdoor? Outdoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil
RH of environment -average 77%
PH of Medium? Ok, somI have used a cheap chemical test of the soil. It is all I can find, made by rapid test. And just bought a probe type. Probably about 6.8-7.3
Any Pests? None so far. Live in coastal NC. Biggest pest is hurricanes.
How Often are you Watering? Usually 4-5 days a week as bed dries quickly it seems. Using my home sprinkler system. It all I have for my garden that grew from a whim. But do a simple finger feel of soil almost daily.
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used?

In the beginning Veg and through out.
Cottonseed meal, and bone meal and organic granular fertilizer from Jobes in a 3-2-1 ratio I simply followed directions perfectly.

See below for nutrient spreadsheet screenshot. Show what I have been using for early flower(ef) mid flower(my) etc. Have been following a 1-3-2 ratio since week 1, week 4 now. actual napkins, 10-30-20, and I am starting a 3-4-4 ratio of same nutes mixed in water and sprinkled on bed. I strain liquid through cheesecloth to clean.
Using Hi-yield brand cotton seed and bone meal as I said but added muriate of pot
Also use roots Microbe charge but only mixed in water, not brewed, but I got a stone and pump today.

Bed size 6x5x16” 3 plants. See pifs below. They are real close but was limited space for security?

MY QUESTIONS

I have looked at liquid fertilizers like Mother Earth 3-4-4 but not sure about using on surface in soil. I also bought a bloom booster made by”Alaska that is liquid 0-10-10.

Question,
1. In anyones opinion, should I stick with mixing dry ingredients in water and applying that way, go to surface and water in, or use a liquid nute all together?

2. Would use use Bloom booster I bought as a beginner.

3. Should I thin out/defoliate a bit on my plants? See pics below.

4. Are my nute levels too high or should I use the leaf deficiency charts everywhere on the net?

5. If I switch to liquids can I mix microbe charge in same batch as my nutes.

I am going to keep this as simple as I can moving forward as things are going well.
One last question, if you care to share, what would you be focusing on nutes and application method moving forward from current way things are.
I just want to make sure I do all I can as a beginner who is getting lucky so far.

Pics below.
overall pics
top down on a few
Underneath
Bush shots for defoliate possibility

01ACEE47-65B4-4418-B728-8E2D38052B74.jpeg

93CAEF9E-A88C-4536-B868-C9CE602B6A77.jpeg

62463A59-D008-4315-B078-3A1DBB1C173E.jpeg

859D783A-41CC-4009-A4B2-403826C88A79.jpeg

254F4DD8-0058-44D5-B41D-22BBBA89EB5A.jpeg

5AB59202-80BF-4FFC-ADA4-1F76DF8876A1.jpeg

9A51286B-C708-43A2-AD4C-8C5532124A18.png

083144C7-355B-4992-99DA-C5E462C9DB33.jpeg

E3391DBE-6E33-408B-873C-168E308B48D4.jpeg

A88283D2-1AAA-4098-BFE4-D1CB517FE71D.png

I'm curious what you based your assessment of the beginning of flower on, those do not look like 4 weeks of flower to me, especially outside under the sun.
They do look very healthy, just not that 'far along'

You are not 'getting lucky', you have put a lot of thought and work into getting to where you are, Good work!
I'd say keep doing what you are doing, just keep an eye on them and be ready to increase nutes because they do get pretty hungry in flower. You might want to figure out some sort of support for them, those buds are gonna get heavy. (tomato cages are not terrible if you happen to have em)

Hey radrichie!

your plants are looking great! it looks like you've got some different phenotype expressions there... some look sativa-dominant.

MY QUESTIONS

I have looked at liquid fertilizers like Mother Earth 3-4-4 but not sure about using on surface in soil. I also bought a bloom booster made by”Alaska that is liquid 0-10-10.
A lot depends what kind of ferts are in the soil you planted in. Did you amend that soil with ferts? If so, what did you use? I see you mentioned that the bed is 16" deep.

Question,
1. In anyones opinion, should I stick with mixing dry ingredients in water and applying that way, go to surface and water in, or use a liquid nute all together?
It depends on what those dry ferts are. If they are not "solution grade", then mixing them in water doesn't make a lot of sense. I use Down to Earth solution grade potassium sulfate or Langbeinite during flower, for K. But I also use a small amount of high-N liquid fert during flower (NPK about 11-2-4), which you can read about here.

2. Would use use Bloom booster I bought as a beginner.

3. Should I thin out/defoliate a bit on my plants? See pics below.
Yes, I prune my plants when they are early in flowering, to remove lower minor branches that won't culminate in a decent size bud. I also trim out most internal minor branches, to open the plant up to better air flow. Later in flowering, as buds are maturing, you can remove fan leaves that are obstructing buds from getting sun.

4. Are my nute levels too high or should I use the leaf deficiency charts everywhere on the net?
Your leaves look great, so keep doing what you're doing. If you start seeing chlorosis or necrosis, let us know. What are your daytime high and nighttime low temperatures?

5. If I switch to liquids can I mix microbe charge in same batch as my nutes.
I personally don't add microbes late in the game, but I don't see a problem with that. I rely on fresh worm compost for microbes, blending into my custom potting mix. I have four worm bins for production of worm compost (worm castings, worm soil).

I am going to keep this as simple as I can moving forward as things are going well.
👍
One last question, if you care to share, what would you be focusing on nutes and application method moving forward from current way things are.
I'll let you respond to my above questions, then try to answer.

happy growing! :goodluck:

OK first question dry news until I bought the mother Earth 244 bloom, I was mixing cottonseed meal bone meal and myriad of potash at a 132 ratio in a 5 gallon bucket and applying that through a spot watering bucket. I of course ran it through a sieve beforehand. That’s really all I’ve been doing and using since I put them in the ground. This was all a whim where I saved three seeds last year and try to just have a little fun by putting them in a pot and the next thing you know they were huge and I had to put them in the ground none of this was thawed out beforehand and I was just having a little fun. Boy am I proud now!

Before I continue I’m gonna describe where I am and our climate. I am in coastal North Carolina with high temperature is currently from 80 to sometimes low 90s. And usually averages about 78 to 85 in September I can be hot as heck as well in October. The average temperatures in October for a high is usually about 75 to 80. We have had some sweaty children wearing costumes on Halloween around here. It is a human environment as I live only 2 miles in from the coast, subject to hurricanes yay, and my soil I just dug the hole till that put some fertilizer in, made a mistake of using miracle grow without pointing out through that stuff out. so that’s a little bit about how I got to where I’m at.

sorry to get back to answering the question September average lows are about 62 to 72 and hide as I said anywhere from 75 to 90. October temperatures about 56 to 65 Lowes Canby border, and hide anywhere from 70 to low 80s.

I started all of this as I said as a whim so everything is a little bit late. I use the roots organic micro charge and the last time I went and looked at my soil, which was after I’ve been gone for about four days, it is so alive. They are worms and snails are everywhere they weren’t there before. That’s why I started late as I’m still learning today. So where am I at now.
I started all of this as I said as a whim so everything is a little bit late. I use the roots organic micro charge at the last time I went and looked at my soil, which was after I’ve been gone for about four days, it is so alive. They are worms and snails everywhere they weren’t there before. That’s why I started late as I am still learning today. So where am I at now.

I looked at the feeding schedule for roots organic products and it is recommended for once a week feedings on both. So I’m thinking of applying the microbe charge on Sunley and the bloom on Thursday and keeping that pattern going until I get into the late flower and then pump up the k.

I guess this is one of my last questions here. I’m going to continue to use a micro charge and the TURBT bloom from roots organic which is at a 374MPK. Do I need to add any liquid mother Earth at 244, are any of the bloom booster I have a zero 1010. I did try a little just under half dose on one yesterday and we’ll see what happens.

I guess this is one of my last questions here. I’m going to continue to use the micro charge and the TURBT bloom from roots organic which is at a 374MPK. Do I need to add any liquid mother Earth at 244, are any of the bloom booster I have a zero 1010. I did try a little just under half dose on one yesterday and we’ll see what happens.

I am not looking for anyone to manage my grow just getting a few suggestions. My decisions are all my own so I am learning by trial and error but you guys are awesome with the advice you give, it cannot be appreciated anymore than it is already and that’s a lot.

I have attached this morning’s pictures.
626A4F69-684F-4EA5-A74E-83F0D4D1CBFC.jpeg
B61E5CDB-739F-4596-AB70-003A040F5AAB.jpeg
86D4E644-21C1-41D6-B6A9-A2311CE3E895.jpeg

I would say just keep up the good work... they are looking great. I'm not familiar with the products you are talking about. In general, the recommended NPK for flower phase is 1-3-3. Just make sure, as the buds are maturing, that you are continuing to feed them enough. They will give you any indication if they are not happy. Your climate at this time of year sounds ideal... much like ours here in Hawaii, except your nights are cooler, and your temps sometimes a bit higher.

Never had any burn yet. If I add some hot nutes, how long to see burn effects if liquid nutes used.

Thanks

The way I grow, I'm more conservative with nutes, so I don't need to worry about burn. The ultimate is to have your soil tested, and then adjust accordingly. Deficiency starts out with early-stage symptoms on the leaves... fairly easy to correct if you are regularly observing your plants. Also, don't over-water or under-water. Do you have much rain this time of year?

Back
Top Bottom