Nutrient Deficiency, Toxicity Or Overfed, Underfed Or What?

NewToTHC

Hello:

Would appreciate some help on what I got going on here. Two regular Malawi Gold regular seeds from Ace. One is obviously a runt and at this point can't tell if either are females. But the issue I am having is they look terrible, both looked fine in solo cups with pro-mix and a 30% Ocean Forest soil and a bit of perlite.

Transplanted the runt to a 2 gallon and the other to a 3gallon of full strength Ocean Forest, extra perlite, 10% worm castings and a tablespoon or so of Kelp Meal and a tablespoon or so ofGai Green 4-4-4.

I suspect what I am seeing is a nutrient lockout or more likely excess nutrients. It appears to look like they are underfed but I am holding off any feedings as I have been down that rabbit hole before. From what I understand Sativas and especially landraces do not like a lot of fertilizer in vegetation so I am thinking that's the issue.

The bottom leaves look like deficiency, yet if I look at the top leaves (actually all) they appear curled and all tips are burnt?

Is it possible that when I transplanted out of the solo cups the root ball was running out of nutrients and now they are experiencing too much nutrients causing the twisting, clawing and burnt tips?

Both have been in the larger containers for about 3 weeks now, and using a SF1000 for the veg light.

18 hour light cycle, lights about 20" from plants, temp around 80 during day, 72 at night.

Also included is a pic of a Bubba Kush autoflower that was planted straight from seed into the Ocean forest mix and seems to be doing well (the seed went into the pot surrounded about a golf ball size of just promix HP so the seedling did not burn)

20211013_004728.jpg

20211013_004737.jpg

20211013_004807.jpg

20211013_004819.jpg

20211013_004910.jpg

I'm with Grow-i don't think it's too little, I think you are not accepting any nutrients you are giving it and it is drawing energy from the old bottom leaves

Wonder if it's worth repotting and cutting the current Ocean Forest to a 50% mix and pro-mix or coco and re-veging for another three weeks. Even with fans blowing around the growth is so slow that I barely have to water once a week. Want to avoid any root rot by a flush.

I did take two clones from the plants the other day and they they seem to be taking, perhaps flip the lights on the two and see if/which or any are females and then just go with the clones and restart.

Looks like too much N locking out PK & CaMg etc
You could try a mini flush with just CaMg/Micros and see if that improves things
Suspect nitrogen toxicity was a culprit from the clawing and twisting, but never put together it was locking out other nutes.

I believe you have had 1 problem that has now created a chain of issues, the tips being burnt has probably been caused by the nutrients being to strong, which has also created a nutrient lockout, leading to deficiencies of multiple trace elements. My personal opinion and approach would be a complete flushing with plain water and a PH of 6.2, following that recommence your feeding at 70% of the recommended dosage levels, make sure you use a good cal/mag and a concentrated silic SI, I'm not sure if available for purchase where you are but cyco makes an extremely good product for correcting trace element deficiencies especially when there's possibly multiple and your not 100% sure which one and that's DR REPAIR. Something that I notice a lot when ready posts and they've explained the nutrients and amounts is that silic or silica is never mentioned, this is one thing that should be considered as 1 of those necessities when ever using any nutrient feeding program

Yes agree 100%. One bounced back so-so, and the other about the same. Decided to start over again so flipped them into flower and see which if any are males. Took some clones and going to start over again. Clones are doing very well, in Pro-Mix with a bit of Fox Farm to get them started.

Flipped almost 3 weeks ago and really not seeing much in terms of any pre-flowers. Dropped to 10.5 on as I understand these landrace strains take a loooong time to flower. Think this strain is almost 15 weeks. Usually see pre-flowers within a week, not with this strain. Could be too much nitrogen in the soil that is holding things up.

Been looking around for some good SI, seems the importance of addition of silicon is overlooked, as a minimum it certainly helps pest prevention

Geez, this thing is taking a looong time to show it's sex. Almost a month under 10/14. The better of the two really recovered with just watering and no fertilizer for the last month. The clones are doing well. I think it's a male though?

20211108_212902.jpg

20211108_213028.jpg

20211108_213104.jpg

Yes, they almost seem as a tight pack of leaves, not really balls, but taking forever to show their sex.

Well both were girls. Really abused them, left them in 1/2 gallon pots under a 65 watt light for 11/13. fertilized and watered on and off when i remembered. Just moved them under a 315 CMH as I had the room. Plan was to just to take a couple cuttings and start over, did so but figured why not finish them to see how they smoke. Think they got about a month left.

20211230_210442.jpg

Thanks, sometimes I wonder if we baby these plants too much, they were really abused and surprisingly they seem to be ok in flower, yield won't be there but there certainly is a fragrance of terpenes coming off them. The one with the thinner more sativa lights seems to be a bit finicky, but it may be the one that smokes closer to a a true sativa.

Pics of the two clones from the problem run. One in 1 gallon coco and the other in a 2 gallon organic nute mix with top dressing. Two weeks into flower under a 315 watt CMH. Both were heavily defoliated two weeks ago, but think i will prune a bit more, my needs are not that great so maybe limit it to 6 colas per plant.

20220106_133957.jpg

20220106_133937.jpg

Back
Top Bottom