Ocean Forest soil pH with garden water

Stone420

420 Member
Greetings. I'll be growing outside soon using FF OF cut with some perlite in 5G fabric pots for WW-A's.

My irrigation system's well water is very low PPM (almost RO like clear), but the ph is in the mid 5's based on current conditions. Since it is difficult to ph irrigation water for an outdoor grow, I may be forced to add lime into the soil to keep the ph up in the mid - 6 range.

Should I lightly sprinkle a bit of lime on top of the soil so the irrigation can bring it down into the soil, or should I mix XXX amount of lime into the soil when adding perlite?

This seems to be a guessing game which I am not particularly fond of.

I'm placing this outdoor grow in the hands of a buddy who has little knowledge of ph or fertilization. To get him to ph the water properly may be akin to pushing a rock up a hill with my nose. So I got to dumb this down and hope for the best. And the absolute best I can envision is to let him water the plant with a garden hose pulling the same water as the irrigation system. If I can ph the soil with dry lime w/o getting out of range I'll be happy.

I know for sure I can expect issues, but his location is ideal and away from prying eyes. If I can get the ph issue resolved, I can make up nute jugs and have him water/feed the plants. I'll do the best to manage the grow remotely although I can already predict less than stellar results.

The plus side is that he is a great gardener and understands the needed attention of vegetables including pest control. He has lots of good points so I don't want him to feel like an idiot. Maybe I can eventually get these points across to him.

Outdoor growing dont worry about PH use rain water. Prolly be ok.

Is the local water sooo bad its poison to plants??

The soil will buffer PH even from tap water easily.

Collect rain water - use a hose its all good. Plants will grow.

Back
Top Bottom