adding Lime questions

siamjim

i want to level out my soil PH and planning to add lime, how much should i add to a gallon of soil? and can i top dress it or does it need to be mixed into? also will the lime take affect immediately?

cheers
SJ

not to sure..its agriculture lime they use for the rice and sugar cane fields here.. powdery, slightly gritty and a slight gray tint to it.. i'm located in SE Asia

cheers

SJ

Its likely to be Dolomite lime then. You can't really mix it into an existing pot with a plant in it, so all you can do at this stage is cover the entire top layer of your pot with about a 1/4 inch layer of the stuff. Then when you water through it, the pH balancing effect of the mineral should help raise your pH to a higher level. Where is your soil pH right now?

In a "top cover" application such as this, the most you can hope for is a couple of points above where you are right now. It usully levels off at around 7.0. You should be shooting for a soil pH of between 6.2 and 6.8. I try to keep my plants at 6.8 cause I find that they do best at that pH.

Cannabis has a high tolernance for a high soil pH (Alkaline) but very LOW tolerance for low pH (Acidic). This is why I don't pH adjust our well water that I use for watering cause it has a pretty constant pH of 7.0. Only thing I adjust is my nute solutions and I try to get those right around 6.5. This way, I don't run the risk of lowering my soil pH below that magic 6.2 number! :thumb:

thanks Gg7 .. the run off was reading at 5.2...with 8.0 source....took lots of flushing to get it around 7 but now my soil is so mucky and would take over a week to dry out enuff. screwing with the feeding schedule indeed.

this is why i wanted to mix it in with the soil before planting them..

SJ

siamjim said:
thanks Gg7 .. the run off was reading at 5.2...with 8.0 source....took lots of flushing to get it around 7 but now my soil is so mucky and would take over a week to dry out enuff. screwing with the feeding schedule indeed.

this is why i wanted to mix it in with the soil before planting them..

SJ

Oh! If this is a new pot and soil you are talking about, you can just mix it in. I would check the web for info on the right proportion based on the soil volume.

5.2 is definitely too low. You are in a borderline (acidic) range there. You have probably been pH adjusting your nutes and water too low and this is what happens. Far better to err on the alkaline side of the equation because of the plant's preference for a slightly alkaline soil environment.

FYI: Happy Frog and Fox Farm Ocean Forest soils are both pH adjusted to around 6.5. You could just fill the new pot with that and plant your girls in there. It should help adjust the old soil around the roots pretty fast I would think.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

Back
Top Bottom