Odor Eaters?

Viracocha711

Hello, I am new to cultivating...Does anyone know if the inline activated carbon filters are a good idea, do they work? Any suggestions for odor protection, I am listening...

Thank you.:allgood:

Activated carbon filters are the way to go. They remove damn near all the smell from the exhausted air. Unless you want the hastle of dealing with an ozone generator, activated carbon is it.

Is there a formula or something to go by in order to know what size to buy? Or is it a buy and see if it is enough?

I will not have more than 6 flowering plants & 3 mother plants at one time in a 8 x 5 room.

Thanks

Most likely the Gel is ONA (Ordor Neutralizing Agent) It's sold in a gel type form and you poke holes in the top of the container to release it. Some even talk of placing a small fan on top to release it faster for bigger grow areas.
I myself have never used it but I've heard of great results from some who have. Ask around when you ask about the carbon filters.

Thanks...Is there a way to build your own carbon filter? I mean it can't be that hard if you could get the right activated carbon...I have been looking at Carbon filters on many sites and the prices range is huge. So, does anyone have a brand name suggestion? I know some people frown on promoting a brand name but I open for suggestions. I would prefer to here how good a certain brand is from one of you rather than a store ad!

Thanks guys, I will be trying the gel by the way and I will post once tested. But I will be buying carbon filters as well!

COOL...I hope you do find it. Do you have any experience using them? Also, what about growing without CO2 added? If I have plenty of fresh air coming in it should be ok, right?

Thanks for your help.

I use to think that adding CO2 to your grow room would greatly increase my yield. But, I've been told time and time again on this site that FRESH air is by far more beneficial then adding CO2 to your room. CO2 comes into play when your dealing with very large growing rooms.

As far as your air cleaning questions. I've done alot.

I've done the Ionizers (I was told that they can remove the nice smell from your bud as well. Therefore I'm not using them this grow to see if theres a difference. They seem to work pretty good. Definately not enough for my
grow.

I've done the Carbon can filter (by far probally the best investment you can make when it comes to odor control. Keep in mind that you will eventually have to replace the carbon. They recommend every 18 months. Keep in mind, carbon filters don't work well when the humidity is high. So, if it's humid in your room during the flowering stage, your gonna need to get a dehumidifier.

I've done the Homedepot Lava rocks (actually I just got them a month ago, I'll probally never know if they really work or not. I just picked up 2 bags and hung them from the ceiling. They sure can't hurt!)

I've done the Time release spray stations (I got 3 of these, I got one in the living room, one in the bathroom and one in the kitchen. These SEEMED like a good idea at the time. I know for the first couple weeks I was getting annoyed hearing them spray every 9 minutes. I know they scared the hell outta my cat! Now, I only use these during the last couple weeks of flower. If it's really humid out my carbon filter doesnt work as well. So, If I'm having people over and I need to get the house fresh smellin I turn these suckers on.

I've done the fragrant piece of carboard that you attach to your forced air heating filter ( I just got these 2 weeks ago. They pretty much suck. Keep in mind they will only work when your heating/cooling system is running. Unless you go to the thermostat and just run the blower which for some reason I can't do. my fan overide doesn't work.

I've done the Home Depot stationary fragrance containers ( I guess they work, I just placed about 3 of them all over my basement. I was trying to combat the odor before it made it's way up to the first floor.

ALL in ALL, my carbon filter seems to do the job for MOST of the grow. There has been days in the middle of summer when the humidity was VERY high and my plants were in the tail end of flowering that I could smell my plants as soon as I walked in the front door. It was never an overwhelming smell though.

What you wanna do is get yourself a good sized carbon can filter and see how well that works for you. I myself have a carbon can filter 100 with a 856CFM fan on it. All it does is recirculate the air within my room. You won't need anything that big!
Do your first grow with just the can filter. Go buy some of those stationary time release air freshners for back up. make sure you get a humidity tester. Keep your humidity below 80% I think it is :hmmmm: and you should be just fine.

Just remember, HIGH humidity equals Stinky plants!
Also, stay away from growing unusually stinky plants for the 1st year. Get your odor conrolling regiment down to a science first.

Thank you very much...That was exactly what I was wanting to hear. Someone explain what they had used and whether it worked. "Lava Rocks" could you explain this one to me because I have not heard this and like you said "It can't hurt"

Thanks again...BTW- I have emailed several activated carbon suppliers requesting info on which one of there products would be best for neutralizing "...livestock smells and other organic related odors"(I thought those odors would be close enough to do the job) and what their prices are...I have heard back from two of them, and they both told me which types of their respective products I would need and they both quoted me $2-$2.75 a LB for orders < 200lbs. However, both of them sell 55lb bags or 200lb drums, so I have yet to price the cost of shipping a 55lb bag of activated carbon but even if it is $100 to ship that would mean I could build plenty of them myself for the cost of buying 2 commercially sold carbon air scrubbers.

I will let you know what I find out about shipping cost...Do you think this would be a good thing considering the shipping cost is not absurd?

the lava rocks I'm referring too are basically a small little bag filled with rocks. They say they are good for eliminating various odors in the house particulary pet odors. They say just hang one up above the litter box for example. So, I went and bought two of them. I think they were like 6 bucks each. I just hang them in the room in front of a fan.

As far as building your own carbon filter. I can't really help you there. I opted to buy one. I'm sure if your handy, you could build one and save some money. Odor control was one of the things on my list that was most important to me. I didn't want to try and do it myself and mess it up :smokin:

Yes, I too do not want to take chances with odor but these air scrubbers are not hard to make, it is getting the right activated carbon that may be the problem.

Do those "lava rocks" have brand name or did you buy plain Ole lava rocks for a garden or fire place and put them in a bag and then hang them up or did you buy something sold for combating odor?

And thanks for all your help I really appreciate it!

I've read that instead of using activated carbon you could use kitty litter crystals. Its the kind that isn't a dirt but a blue-ish crystal. I saw a picture of before and 3 months later, and the colour change was serious. After that post (which said it worked very well for smell reduction) there were a few others who had agreed that they tried the kittly litter and it worked.

The home-made filter was pretty basic aswell. Used some metal heat ducting, some cicken wire and pantyhose. (I don't remember the like either, but now that I've seen it I'm going to make my own...when I do I'll take pics and put them up :)

Hello, I am new to cultivating...Does anyone know if the inline activated carbon filters are a good idea, do they work? Any suggestions for odor protection, I am listening...

Thank you.:allgood:

The inline activated filters will work, also abatix.com has some odor encapsulant that should help.

Back
Top Bottom