Odour

You have a leak... it is that simple.

The most likely issue is that you do not have negative pressure inside of your grow space. Negative pressure ensures that the smells generated by the plant can not escape the environment - the only way out is thru the filter.

Additional information can be useful to ensure that this is the case. What type of grow environment? Are you in a room or tent? How does air flow in and out of the room? Passive intake vs active intake fans? How large are the fans pulling scent thru the filter? What is the filter rated at for air flow?

My house used to stink till I put carbon filters into my tents. It continued to occaisionally stink until I learned about negative pressure - this is critical to contain smell in a tent or grow room. No one has noticed ANY smell for over nine months now - and I have a lot of people in my house.

Hope this helps.

GL4A

its a closet, no intake just a hole at bottom o door yikes! inline extractor 4 inch not sure about rating im a newbie lol 1st grow

will another 4 inch fan blowing air in solve my problems?

I don't know any conditions where this will help with the smell.

I don't think it should be an issue with the crack at the bottom... It should be plent.

A 4 inch inline fan would typically be rated somewhere between 80 and 200 cubic feet per minute (CFM). It should be on the product label attached to the fan body. Also, inline fans are intended to boost an existing air flow... not to provide air flow. The motors are very weak and can not move much air - especially if you are pulling air thru a carbon filter.

You could have little to no air flow out of the closet. Have you put your hand on the exhaust to see how much air is flowing? Open the door on the closet and see if the air flow changes (this would prove that you have sufficient intake).

In order to keep the grow space properly ventilated (keep in mind you have lights generating heat and plants consuming CO2 - so you need a constant supply of fresh air) - you need an air exchange ratio of 1 to 2 times the size of the grow space every minute.

An example to help explain. I have a 4 ft x 4 ft x 6 ft tent. The first question to answer is how large is the space to ventilate? I want cubic feet - so I can simply multiply 4x4x6 = 196 square feet. The second question we need to answer is how many times do went want to exchange the inside and outside air. As I mentioned above - a good number to use for your setup is 1 to 2 times the size of the grow space. So we have 196 cubic feet / minute * 1 = 196 cfm as the low end and 196 cubic feet / minute * 2 = 392 CFM.

So the proper ventilation for a space this size - is somewhere between 196 and 392 CFM. If you are running a large light - you will need the higher estimate. If you are running a smaller light - you can use the low end of the estimates.

So measure your grow space... calculate how much air flow you need... check the fan label... check the actual exhaust coming out of the room (door open, door closed)... and you will find the problem.

:goodluck: and keep us informed.

thank you very much my room is 5' wide 2.5 long 7' high im using a 400 watt hps light i cant check extractor or open door at the moment as i am on my dark period, im pushing the air through carbon ilter outside room, yes i have put hand on exhaust it blows air out

An example to help explain. I have a 4 ft x 4 ft x 6 ft tent. The first question to answer is how large is the space to ventilate? I want cubic feet - so I can simply multiply 4x4x6 = 196 square feet.

Wouldn't that be only 96 sq. ft.?

Wouldn't that be only 96 sq. ft.?

Yes, thank you.

Please adjust all numbers accordingly.

Lesson for GL4A - no more math in your head... or at least double check your results.

Back
Top Bottom