Ohio Senator: Take A Drug Test If You Need Help

MedicalNeed

Write your Ohio Senators in opposition of this dangerous legislation for Ohio families. Especially contact Senator Tim Schaffer if you live in Fairfield, Licking, Hocking or Perry Counties, or in the eastern portion of Pickaway County, as he is the Senator who introduced this reckless bill. He says "if they fail the drug test, then we can get them the help that they need." If the idea is to cut costs, then perhaps Senator Schaffer should look into the costs of "treatment." We will provide a prewritten email for you to use soon...

From NBC4:

By PATRICK PRESTON
Published: February 11, 2011
COLUMBUS, Ohio —
Ohioans in need of help from the state may soon be asked to fill the cup.

Senator Tim Schaffer (R-Lancaster) has introduced Senate Bill 69 requiring drug testing "for adults who apply for need-based programs that provide cash assistance, medical assistance, housing assistance, food assistance, or energy assistance."

The urine test would be used to detect alcoh*l, amphet*mines, c*caine, her*in, marijuana and other drugs at levels prohibited while operating a motor vehicle.

A person refusing to take the test or testing positive for a controlled substance would not be eligible for assistance and would have to wait 30 days before reapplying.

An exception would be made for individuals testing positive for a controlled substance if the substance was prescribed by a licensed health professional and taken as directed.

"We want to make sure that in this tough, tough budget era when the state budget is so, so very tight and cuts are going to be made that what money we do put out there in the communities is actually getting to the kids, the children, the family members that need it. And not going to buy illegal drugs," Schaffer told NBC4′s Patrick Preston.

"What I'm hearing from my police, and my court systems, and my human services folks is they have strong suspicions that illegal drug users are getting public welfare benefits that the taxpayers pay for and using it and converting it to illegal drugs."

Preston: "How would we, as taxpayers, know that this isn't kind of the Boogeyman out there — that it's a problem. But we don't have any concrete data to tell us that it really is a problem. How do you know?

Schaffer: "Well, we'll have data once we implement the system. Once we implement the testing. If 100 percent of the people who apply for public assistance come out clean and don't have any drugs in their system, then fine, great. But my suspicion is we'll find some. And we'll get those folks help."

Preston: "So are you suggesting this to find out if there is a problem, or because you know there is a problem?"

Schaffer: "Well, we have strong suspicions there's a problem, but I don't think it's too much to ask for somebody to submit to a drug test who is asking the state taxpayer for hundreds or thousands of dollars in assistance."

Schaffer's bill would require adults asking the state for help to pay for their own drug test, at a cost that Schaffer said can be as little as $15. The tests would take place each time they applied for help.

Preston: "You intend to make the person who's applying for help pay for the drug test?"

Schaffer: "If they want public assistance, if they want all the thousands of dollars or resources that are available from the state of Ohio, $20 isn't a whole lot to pay to be able to say 'Yes, I'm clean'."

Preston: "But aren't they asking for help because they don't have the money to pay for such a test?"

Schaffer: "We can work things out, we can work on some financing mechanisms..."

Ed Orlett of the National Drug Policy Alliance called Schaffer's plan a "penalty on poor people."

"The person that's applying for services obviously is there because they don't have any extra money to spend," Orlett said.

Preston: "What about the idea that taking money out of these peoples' pockets is taking money away that would help them?"

Schaffer: "Very simply, we want to make sure that what public taxpayer dollars are going to families, are going to families. Going to put food on the table, shoes on the feet, shirt on the back."

Preston: "But couldn't you argue that you're wasting money for the folks who don't do drugs, who don't have the problem?"

Schaffer: "Not at all. If they have to pay for the drug test, it's a $15 or $20 expense and in exchange you're getting hundreds or even thousands of dollars of help."

Federally-funded programs would not be subject to the testing requirement unless the federal agency responsible for funding the program approved of drug testing applicants or, if the testing would not jeopardize federal funding. State agencies would be required to seek approval from federal agencies.

The testing requirement would not apply to unemployment compensation applicants.

NewsHawk: MedicalNeed: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: mmjactionnetwork.com
Author:Tonya Davis
Copyright: 2011 Medical Marijuana Action Network.

There is a similar bill in illinois called sb2252 don't quote me on that but same style of laws have been implemented. What next drug testing for unemployment. I have had some tell me they have to take a piss test to work,and they should have to take a piss test to be publicly supported. I personally think it is an invasion of our freedoms. If they get away with this what is next?

the article does not mention ptesting legislators/politicians from the city/village level right on up to the president which are paid by tax payers money-wouldnt it only be fair if they were included also?????

This just makes me wonder when american's became so dam submissive. What ever happened to standing up for our rights and freedoms. We need to all join together and protest things of this nature. It wouldn't be a bad idea for the whole nation to ban together and say enough is enough. stop all foreign aid until we get our country back on its feet and reduce our deficit. We should stop all exports except for grain and wheat after all everyone needs to eat, but a bushel of wheat should be the same price as a barrel of oil. It is only fair! A nation wide march for mmj nation wide would be good also.

I'm going to get lambasted for this, but since it is my state...

I support this bill. I am tired of my taxes being raised to support people that are irresponsible people on welfare that spend money on drugs instead of their kids or to help out their situation. Sure there are people that may be responsible and down on their luck, but guess what if you are so down on your luck you shouldn't be buying drugs or even growing them. It's my opinion as a responsible home owner and active pot smoker. If I were to need government assistance, I wouldn't be growing or buying pot anymore because I know what priorities are.

I support this bill. I am tired of my taxes being raised to support people that are irresponsible people on welfare that spend money on drugs instead of their kids or to help out their situation. Sure there are people that may be responsible and down on their luck, but guess what if you are so down on your luck you shouldn't be buying drugs or even growing them. It's my opinion as a responsible home owner and active pot smoker. If I were to need government assistance, I wouldn't be growing or buying pot anymore because I know what priorities are.

I understand were you are coming from and somewhat agree. it is just the thought of what is next that is the scary part of the whole thing.:peace:

I understand were you are coming from and somewhat agree. it is just the thought of what is next that is the scary part of the whole thing.:peace:

Well it depends what "next" is. I agree with this, but next may be something I don't agree with and maybe many others won't either :)

Agreed.

I'm not here to lambaste you, but I do disagree with you and this bill. This bill isn't written to stop welfare abuse, its about mandatory drug testing. There are a lot of ways to make the welfare system better and they know it, but that's not what they're concerned with in this bill.:peace:

I'm not here to lambaste you, but I do disagree with you and this bill. This bill isn't written to stop welfare abuse, its about mandatory drug testing. There are a lot of ways to make the welfare system better and they know it, but that's not what they're concerned with in this bill.:peace:

I agree, I am concerned because I have been self medicating with mmj when possible. I don't want to get hooked on all the opiates they have me on so I supplement. And with me not having the ability to do my job of a union drywall finisher anymore, I will be one of the people on public assistance soon. I am not too proud of that but it is the only way I will be able to feed my family. And if I can't feed my family what good am I. I thought by going back to school for (Phlebotomy) would change all this. but after 2 years of applications I have not had one job offer. I guess I am just to old for them to consider me. And have already been told they won't let me have SSDI unless I have surgery. The only problem with that is I will loose everything I own If I do. So where do I go from here. Nothing like this should ever be able to be implemented. And I don't live in a mmj state so I am a criminal for trying to reduce my pain and moving just isn't an option yet.:peacetwo:

I disagree. There is a huge problem in inner cities with people on welfare that keep abusing the system. I know it all too well around here. Parents will get their welfare check, goto a quick cash place then go buy their drugs. Instead of being smart and spending it on shelter, food, clothes for their kids, the heat bill (cold this winter).

I disagree. There is a huge problem in inner cities with people on welfare that keep abusing the system. I know it all too well around here. Parents will get their welfare check, goto a quick cash place then go buy their drugs. Instead of being smart and spending it on shelter, food, clothes for their kids, the heat bill (cold this winter).

The way to stop that abuse is, if you know of someone abusing the system turn them in to the proper authorities. I know no one want's to be a snitch, but it would help.

The way to stop that abuse is, if you know of someone abusing the system turn them in to the proper authorities. I know no one want's to be a snitch, but it would help.

That isn't going to stop it though. It'll help for sure, but drug testing them will be more effective in the long run.

That isn't going to stop it though. It'll help for sure, but drug testing them will be more effective in the long run.

Then It will be like living in china eventually if you let the government have more control over you personal life. Next they will be telling us how many children we can have or what sex of a child you will be able to keep. Our country is not being ran by the people anymore it is run by government. I'll bet our for fathers are rolling over in their graves wondering what in the heck we are doing letting government control what we do with your own body. I respect your opinion so don't think I am against you. just merely expressing my opinion on the situation. Hope you have a happy St. Pats day:peacetwo:

Then It will be like living in china eventually if you let the government have more control over you personal life. Next they will be telling us how many children we can have or what sex of a child you will be able to keep. Our country is not being ran by the people anymore it is run by government. I'll bet our for fathers are rolling over in their graves wondering what in the heck we are doing letting government control what we do with your own body. I respect your opinion so don't think I am against you. just merely expressing my opinion on the situation. Hope you have a happy St. Pats day:peacetwo:

That's fine. I think it a bit extreme to think of it like that, but it'd your opinion ;)

Happy St. Pats!

This is not just an inner-city problem. Its a problem everywhere. Everyone paying taxes are well aware of the welfare system being screwed up. What about the ones spending it all on alcohol? Adding on drug testing laws will not even put a damper on welfare abuse. They need to change the way welfare is distributed. Drug testing is not the answer.

Irony. :peace:

If we are talking about welfare I would say I too agree with this bill. I have a sister that collects every kind of government assistance there is and they have the dealer at they're house as soon as the money is put on her card Gov Credit card. 5 kids and when do you think the last time the kids had a haircut or new clothes it's disgusting. Every single friend she has same way or worse is sad to say the least. Unemployment now leave that alone it's not welfare and they will have to clean up soon enough but a mother on welfare can milk the system for years and years.(to all you real mothers and fathers out there this dose not apply to you) I'm just saying that if your getting welfare and blow the little bit they give you on Booze or other crap it has a huge effect on the amount of nutrition kids are getting and isn't that really what welfare is for basic food and shelter?

I'm feeling very conflicted about this one. I can't help but think about someone who is receiving welfare or food stamps that is also suffering from some illness and using Cannabis as medicine. At the same time I'm well aware of abuses. I know I'd rather buy someones Cannabis than many of the Rx's that the system officially and legally pays for. There are multiple sides to every story. Also its another step closer to universal testing, don't think it can't happen. I think I'd prefer to err on the side of individual freedom than money saving, but like I said, I'm conflicted.

If cannabis is legal medicine in your state yes, I even believe the state should pay for it!

That would be the correct manor this way they could still feed they're families....but in a state as backwards as Missouri that will never happen...no offense I just left that horrible place and have no faith they will ever get it together.....Jay Nixon is a joke Blunt was a joke good luck my friend!

Back
Top Bottom