Ohio Senator: Take A Drug Test If You Need Help

I have a real problem with assumed guilt. Does anyone really believe that all of people that need help or ask for assistance are just closet drug addicts? I don't think so. Drug testing for medical assistance or heating assistance? How about just not giving out cash instead.

I personally don't have a problem you get say 400 a week on welfare it's your choice what to spend the money on but you have to see that some will spend money on crap.....have another friend that bought a motorcycle with his welfare money not to commute but to play.....how does that feed the kids taking away the cash just creates a trade or sale situation. I have been approached before by someone saying I'll sell you 100 dollars worth of food stamps for 70 how does that help it's really sticky and hard to win.......I'm probably biased because of some lazy ass family members but there has to be a better way.

....but in a state as backwards as Missouri that will never happen...no offense I just left that horrible place and have no faith they will ever get it together.....Jay Nixon is a joke Blunt was a joke good luck my friend!
I wish I could disagree with you. At this point I can't. I'm a mis-located Californian and will return there as soon as my situation allows. Don't get me wrong, there are many good people in Missouri but....

This is not just an inner-city problem. Its a problem everywhere. Everyone paying taxes are well aware of the welfare system being screwed up. What about the ones spending it all on alcohol? Adding on drug testing laws will not even put a damper on welfare abuse. They need to change the way welfare is distributed. Drug testing is not the answer.

I didn't say it was *just* a problem in inner-cities. It is more of a problem there though, obviously because of population. Considering I live near a decent sized city and pay taxes, it effects me more than someone living out in the middle of no where.

I am not saying drug testing is the end of all problems. It would help though to keep people that are using welfare to actually use it to help themselves and their family before spending it on drugs. Also, drug tests can detect alcohol too I believe. But guess what? Alcohol isn't illegal. Sorry to say, but it's fact.

I have a real problem with assumed guilt. Does anyone really believe that all of people that need help or ask for assistance are just closet drug addicts? I don't think so. Drug testing for medical assistance or heating assistance? How about just not giving out cash instead.

No one is saying this. But you can't deny the fact that there is an overwhelming amount of people on welfare that are also drug addicts.

I'd be all in for not giving out cash, but there are genuine families out there that use welfare and don't abuse it and need to to survive. I don't want to take it away from people that need it. I want it taken away from people that abuse it. Some of the people that abuse it use their money to buy drugs instead of food for their kids. If drug testing gets just one family out of that and on the right track, I am all for it.

Cannabis is a medicine. To tell someone they have less of a right to use their medication just because of something that might be out of their control (disability) is criminal in my opinion. No one made the distinction between cannabis and drugs, so I assume this about weed as well as everything else. Everyone has their own personal reasons for using cannabis, you would assume people growing would have an understanding of this. Kinda disheartening to read the responses on this site. I pay taxes, but dont sit around and gritch about it, cause i will never decide where my tax dollars actually go. It's a nice idea, but doesnt work in reality.

I'm going to get lambasted for this, but since it is my state...

I support this bill. I am tired of my taxes being raised to support people that are irresponsible people on welfare that spend money on drugs instead of their kids or to help out their situation. Sure there are people that may be responsible and down on their luck, but guess what if you are so down on your luck you shouldn't be buying drugs or even growing them. It's my opinion as a responsible home owner and active pot smoker. If I were to need government assistance, I wouldn't be growing or buying pot anymore because I know what priorities are.
And of course you's completely stop smoking if you needed assistance, is that right Uncle paul ?? You're full of it !!

Cannabis is a medicine. To tell someone they have less of a right to use their medication just because of something that might be out of their control (disability) is criminal in my opinion. No one made the distinction between cannabis and drugs, so I assume this about weed as well as everything else. Everyone has their own personal reasons for using cannabis, you would assume people growing would have an understanding of this. Kinda disheartening to read the responses on this site. I pay taxes, but dont sit around and gritch about it, cause i will never decide where my tax dollars actually go. It's a nice idea, but doesnt work in reality.

The Federal Government does not recognize Cannabis, a Schedule I narcotic, as holding any medicinal value. What is necessary is a paradigm shift in the views of the Federal Government, and it is only the collective whim of the people who can be responsible for such a decision.

...We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. – That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, – That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.
~The Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776

While it is considered a medicine, it is not LEGALLY considered a medicine here in Ohio.

They need to test for nicotine and alcohol while they're at it. Lets add anything else non-essential such as cable tv, internet etc. etc. etc.

How about religious people who tithe to their churches?

Where does the list stop?

You're missing the point. Drugs are illegal. Even marijuana is illegal here in Ohio in ALL forms (recreational or medical). Again, you are being extreme.

The Federal Government does not recognize Cannabis, a Schedule I narcotic, as holding any medicinal value. What is necessary is a paradigm shift in the views of the Federal Government, and it is only the collective whim of the people who can be responsible for such a decision.

~The Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776

Thank you. I was going to go into this, but I am at work and decided not to hehe.

Love the quote in your sig btw :D

You're missing the point. Drugs are illegal. Even marijuana is illegal here in Ohio in ALL forms (recreational or medical). Again, you are being extreme.

I don't think I'm being extreme. The program is being formed to save the govt money and getting it to families, not as a tool of enforcement then why not expand it? If they are serious about saving money and helping families.

My example about tithing was serious. I do not want any of my tax dollars being diverted into churches. Seems like it would be illegal.

Same with alcohol, it has destroyed countless families and smoking tobacco kills, leaving families without parents. This isn't about the money or families its about weeding out drug users to persecute them and make money off of them by putting them in re-habs and prisions.

If politicians want people drug tested I say step in line and set the example.

I don't think I'm being extreme. The program is being formed to save the govt money and getting it to families, not as a tool of enforcement then why not expand it? If they are serious about saving money and helping families.

My example about tithing was serious. I do not want any of my tax dollars being diverted into churches. Seems like it would be illegal.

Same with alcohol, it has destroyed countless families and smoking tobacco kills, leaving families without parents. This isn't about the money or families its about weeding out drug users to persecute them and make money off of them by putting them in re-habs and prisions.

If politicians want people drug tested I say step in line and set the example.

I really do think you are being extreme in my opinion. Regulating things like cable tv and internet is going to be tough to do. Alcohol and tobacco I agree (especially alcohol), and like I said testing for drugs isn't going to solve the problem, but it is going to help.

I do not want my money going to churches either, but that isn't what we are talking about here. We are talking about a bill proposed to drug test people in the welfare program. I am less concerned at the moment what it may lead to, I will decide on that stuff when the time comes. If they start getting out of hand with it, that is where the voters come in and if they disagree then it won't go into play. Again this is only a first step. I'd be elated if we could solve the problem with welfare abuse in one swoop but it isn't going to be that easy. This is one step in a very long and very delicate process.

I really do think you are being extreme in my opinion. Regulating things like cable tv and internet is going to be tough to do. Alcohol and tobacco I agree (especially alcohol), and like I said testing for drugs isn't going to solve the problem, but it is going to help.

I do not want my money going to churches either, but that isn't what we are talking about here. We are talking about a bill proposed to drug test people in the welfare program. I am less concerned at the moment what it may lead to, I will decide on that stuff when the time comes. If they start getting out of hand with it, that is where the voters come in and if they disagree then it won't go into play. Again this is only a first step. I'd be elated if we could solve the problem with welfare abuse in one swoop but it isn't going to be that easy. This is one step in a very long and very delicate process.

I just have to say, I think you're the one missing the point and you are naive.

when I said this I didn't mean people using marijuana for medicine, I was talking about people like my foster sister who slam an 8ball of coke in a couple of days and leaves the rest of the family to feed her children. As I said farther in this thread I sometimes let my emotions get in the way of intelligent thinking.:peacetwo:

Please elaborate instead of just putting me down for speaking my mind. These are my beliefs as a tax payer and a voter (in Ohio even).

It seems to me all all you want is a pissing match. Basically you have told everyone who has posted they're opinions on this subject that they're too stupid to understand the issue. You said it in a less offensive way by saying we're missing the point. There are many points to look at that may be effected by the passing of this bill. I feel you are looking at it with blinders on and only focusing on one thing. You also say we're being to extreme. I think by you saying that your biggest concern right now is just to get the bill passed and then if it ends up that the people don't like it they can change it. To me that's naive. If you want respect from people try showing respect to people.

Back
Top Bottom